• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lewis's Department Store

I know I was taken to the roof garden but can't remember it, so perhaps I was taken to pet's corner as well. I wonder who looked after the animals. Do you know when it stopped being there?

Too young to know the pets corner but I do have memories of Lewis's.
I would be sent there every saturday to collect two tins of National Health milk powder for my little sister. We lived in Wellesley Street in Hockley,I would walk to Key Hill to catch the train to Snow Hill, 3d for a return ticket. It was actually faster to walk to town but the train was more fun.
Despite being told not to go into Barnbys toy store, which was opposite the station I always did. Then around the corner to Lewis's and their toy department,what treasures were in these places. Rarely given anything from them but I had my dreams.

Many years later I visited Lewis's on my way home from the School of Printing (I was an apprentice) the Royal Marines were recruiting in the store,I was asked if I thought about joining. I told them I was apprenticed for 4 more years and couldn't even if I wanted to. However,the world turns and 18 months later I found myself at the Depot Royal Marines in Deal, Kent and had a career as a Royal Marine lasting 23 years,2 months 1 week and a day.

Happy days.Nodd KD

This was and will always be my most favorite Birmingham store ever, One of my first stops would always be the HiFi department and then I could quite easily spend a few hours in there just browsing around. Christmas time was magical, I would give anything to have those times back again

I remember seeing the pets on the roof of Lewis's when I was a nipper

Someone told me that at Easter there used to be chicks on the roof garden.

Pet's corner must have been really big if they had that many birds as well as other animals. I wonder if any othere Lewis's had a pet's corner. I know the Bristol branch had a roof garden. Really wish I could remember the roof garden!

This was and will always be my most favorite Birmingham store ever, One of my first stops would always be the HiFi department and then I could quite easily spend a few hours in there just browsing around. Christmas time was magical, I would give anything to have those times back again

It was such an interesting building inside, the way everything joined up and you could suddenly be in another department you hadn't quite known was there! Also all the coffee bars in various places.

I expect there was a good lingerie department, but as a very young boy that would not have interested me. However Fr. Ted and friends might have found themselves in there - quite accidentally of course. :laughing:

Another fantastic shop that needs a good mention is Henry's in Union street. Whenever I went into the city centre, I had to go into both, Lewis's & Henry's, though sometimes, I used to go into Rackhams. Met Noel Gordon in there once & was asked to do some decorating for her at her flat, in the tower block by new street station. Such a lovely lady.

I used to drive for Midland RED, and our stop was outside the Bingo Hall/Mecca, opposite Lewis's. My Dad drove for STAR TAXIS in that side road, next to the Bingo arcade.
Hello Gerry. One of my cousins used to drive for midland red. He had done since leaving school. You may have known him. His name is Raymond Howell. After midland red ended, he went straight into working for Arriva in Tamworth. He has now retired. I remember Star taxi's. I had most probably got into your dad's taxi without knowing it.

Hello Gerry. One of my cousins used to drive for midland red. He had done since leaving school. You may have known him. His name is Raymond Howell. After midland red ended, he went straight into working for Arriva in Tamworth. He has now retired. I remember Star taxi's. I had most probably got into your dad's taxi without knowing it.
Hi matey. I worked out of Midland RED Sutton Garage, so occasionally did the 110 and the 116, both Tamworth to City. I can't say that I know the name buddy, but there were a few thousand of us at the time. I was on as a Conductor in 1956 and then a Driver until 1978, so may have passed him on the road maybe.

Hi matey. I worked out of Midland RED Sutton Garage, so occasionally did the 110 and the 116, both Tamworth to City. I can't say that I know the name buddy, but there were a few thousand of us at the time. I was on as a Conductor in 1956 and then a Driver until 1978, so may have passed him on the road maybe.
It is possible I may have caught your bus many times, as I used to catch the 116 into work when I worked at carrefour at minworth.

Back