• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lewis's Department Store

Me too. I was taken to Lewis's in the 50s, but I simply cannot call up any memories of that part. It is quite possible that my parents never took me up there, but looking back on other experience enhancing things, such as Dudley Zoo visits, it would seem likely that we went.
Andrew.
Andrew, I really liked Dudley Zoo, the best part I always remember was the Castle!

I was horrified when as a youngster in the 1950s I saw the vandalism of great old buildings taking place. I had hoped that wiser counsels would prevail these days, but it would seem the same process is happening even now!
Well as a friend of mine who is married to a German girl says. Birmingham Planning did more damage to Birmingham than the Luftwaffe ever did.

Uncle H looked a bit scary to be honest - well at least on the badge ! Although a BIG fan of Christmas and am an early Christmas decorator, I’m not too keen on Father Christmas or Mr Holly. Sorry folks, goes against all we teach children to not put their trust in strangers. As a child I was not keen on people ‘imitating’ Santa at all. And prefer them at a distance today. Just my opinion. Viv.

Uncle H looked a bit scary to be honest - well at least on the badge ! Although a BIG fan of Christmas and am an early Christmas decorator, I’m not too keen on Father Christmas or Mr Holly. Sorry folks, goes against all we teach children to not put their trust in strangers. As a child I was not keen on people ‘imitating’ Santa at all. And prefer them at a distance today. Just my opinion. Viv.
You have to trust Santa,how else would you get presents at Christmas? He always brings just what I put in my letter.

NoddKD. Still innocent even after 69 years.

Quite understandable today Viv, but I didn't give give a second thought to placing my trust in Mr Holly or Santa, back then. That said, I always had my Nan with me at Lewis's when I sat on Santa's lap. Different more innocent times back then, I think and before we had to teach our own children about "Stranger Danger" ourselves.

Quite understandable today Viv, but I didn't give give a second thought to placing my trust in Mr Holly or Santa, back then. That said, I always had my Nan with me at Lewis's when I sat on Santa's lap. Different more innocent times back then, I think and before we had to teach our own children about "Stranger Danger" ourselves.
posted before

Younger and innocent back then those thoughts never entered our minds. Nowadays we have become more wary.

Only thing I remember about Lewis’s. Father Christmas Grotto was always on the top floor.
The fifth floor to be exact, as that was where the toy floor was situated. The Lewis's Grotto was the best in town, although I might be slightly biased, as I spent many years building and eventually designing them too! A great part of my working life was spent learning my skills in the Lewis's Display Department, I started at 16 years old as a junior window dresser ending up as assistant promotions manager. My Lewis's days ended when the store made all the middle ranking management redundant in an attempt to save the store's future. Sadly, twelve months later everyone else lost their jobs too as Lewis's closed for good.... Great times, will write a book one day! Wouldn't have missed a minute of it!

Younger and innocent back then those thoughts never entered our minds. Nowadays we have become more wary.
I remember queueing up the stairs at Lewis's to see Father Christmas, being thrilled with the magic of the Grotto scenes, looking forward to getting a present, but then getting nervous as my turn to sit on FC's knee came....he'd know that I hadn't been as good as I should have been, and tell my Mom!!!

Just noticed some txts on Lewis's in the late 50s early 60s my grandad Alfred "Bade" Ainsworth used to work the lifts there I always marvelled at how he stopped it right on the button!! If I timed my visit to coincide with his break I used to get a cup of tea and a cake in the canteen! It all got automated not long after, but he always had to have 2 or 3 jobs on the go even if he was in his dotage so he went off and got a job as a tea boy at BOC!

Back