• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lewis's Department Store

TerryD147

master brummie
great photo OM..didnt we once have some spendid buildings in the city centre and there is no excuse for pulling them down as most were still in great shape and would still be here now..i wonder if in 100 years time nay even 50 years time they will say this about the lifeless ones with no great architecture we have now got going up...

lyn
I was horrified when as a youngster in the 1950s I saw the vandalism of great old buildings taking place. I had hoped that wiser counsels would prevail these days, but it would seem the same process is happening even now!

TerryD147

master brummie
The van is actually a Ford Thames ET7, going through the memorable site of the Minories, but I surely do remember seeing smaller local delivery vans (where I lived in Yardley Wood) and I'm prettyy sure they were small Commer vans. Happy days!

Richard Dye

master brummie
Me too. I was taken to Lewis's in the 50s, but I simply cannot call up any memories of that part. It is quite possible that my parents never took me up there, but looking back on other experience enhancing things, such as Dudley Zoo visits, it would seem likely that we went.
Andrew.
Andrew, I really liked Dudley Zoo, the best part I always remember was the Castle!

Terence David Lines

master brummie
I was horrified when as a youngster in the 1950s I saw the vandalism of great old buildings taking place. I had hoped that wiser counsels would prevail these days, but it would seem the same process is happening even now!
Well as a friend of mine who is married to a German girl says. Birmingham Planning did more damage to Birmingham than the Luftwaffe ever did.

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie
Uncle H looked a bit scary to be honest - well at least on the badge ! Although a BIG fan of Christmas and am an early Christmas decorator, I’m not too keen on Father Christmas or Mr Holly. Sorry folks, goes against all we teach children to not put their trust in strangers. As a child I was not keen on people ‘imitating’ Santa at all. And prefer them at a distance today. Just my opinion. Viv.