• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lewis Separates

yogimon

master brummie
Does anyone remember the shop Lewis Separate's on the Coventry Road. I remember shopping in there in the late 60s. They always had the best fashion. I used to spend all my hard earned wages in that shop. I can remember buying a pair of blue velvet hot pants, they cost me £11 .. that was a fortune in those days. I had to walk to work for weeks but my hot pants were worth every penny. The shop was taken over by chelsea girl as i was told.

Hi Yogimon. Yes I remember Lewis Separates very well. They sold mostly tops, blouses, cardis, and skirts, maybe trousers too. Hence the name 'Separates'!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361171166.713205.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1361171693.271400.jpg

I also remember Chelsea Girl. It was incredibly modern when it replaced Lewis Separates. Clothes hung in tiers up the walls, bold geometric colours in the interior and loud music. What a complete change from the traditional shops. Teenagers flocked to it. I shopped at the one in Erdington High Street and City Centre (think there was a large one on the coner of Bull St/Dale End/High Street). I remember I could buy a top for £1.10s in about 1968. That used up only a little of my Saturday job earnings leaving enough to go out on a Saturday. I think the clothes were very competitively priced. River Island also from the Lewis Group, launched a small range called 'Chelsea Girl' a couple of years ago. Don't know if the range is still going. Must go and have a look. Viv.

I remember Lewis Seperates! Not heard that name for years.
I think there was a branch in the old Bull Ring shopping centre.

The big Chelsea Girl in the City Centre was on the corner of High Street and Union Street, if I recall correctly.
I bought quite alot of my clothes there.

Interesting how much their image changed after the morphed into River Island - so different (and a bit boring I think!)
H&M remind me of how the original Chelsea Girl shops were - lots of interesting things at reasonable prices.

I bought quite a few short, tight cardigans and a short tight 'bomber' type jacket from Chelsea Girl which wouldn't look out of place today. Could sell it as 'vintage' now. I saw a picture of some Lewis Separates stockings on here. Just type in 'stocking' in the search box. www.scienceandsociety.co.uk
That brought back memories too. But by the time Chelsea Girl was into the swing, tights were commonplace, just as well when wearing mini skirts! Viv.

Chelsea Girl shop at the junction of Union Street and High Street. Must have spent many hours in there as well as spending a small fortune on clothes. Fantastic fun times. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362431359.967968.jpg

I remember Lewis Separates on the Coventry Road. One of my favourite shops in the 60`s. They didn`t stock too much of any one thing, so whatever you bought felt quite unique. One of my best buys was a royal blue skirt and waistcoat and a blue/white striped shirt blouse with a bow-tie - wore it the day I left school and at my interview for my first job. Although trendy, very smart. It may have been the outfit that got me the job.

Another shop on the Cov, around the same time, was a small shoeshop `Louise Roberts`. The shop was on the other side, near to opposite the first entrance to Small Heath Park - I think. The shoes were very different and way ahead in fashion. Couldn`t wear them now.

Well, thank you for reminding me, I also used to go up the Cov every Saturday straight to Lewis Separates, after I had been to the hairdressers in Glovers Road to have my hair shampooed and set, I loved it in there, you were sure to find the latest fashion and all your mates in there. Nice memories

My nan was the manageress at Coventry Road, when that closed she went to the Ringway, and then opened Chelsea Girl on high street, her name was Maureen if anyone remembers her I’d love to hear

I have a wooden coat hanger with the name Lewis Separates on it that belonged to my mom. I always assumed it was part of the big Lewis's in town. Interesting to discover that it was a shop in it's own right. We lived in Little Green Lane, which is off the Cov Rd, in the early '60s.

Back