• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lewis family of Sherlock St

Tinpot

master brummie
I would appreciate some help to find details of Harry Lewis born 21 November 1878/9. He lived at 34 Sherlock St when married to Mary Ellen Cartwright born 15 August 1882. He died at Powick Hospital. As it was when I was younger no one talked about him.

Born Bishops Itchington, son of William Lewis & Susan Gunnell. He had at least 4 brothers & 6 sisters.

Living at 205 Heybarnes Road on 1939 register.

Thanks MSW. I have seen a census transcript 1891? that located a Harry Lewis scholar at 15 Co-operative Terrace Harbury but born in Bishops Itchington. Susan Lewis shown as Head of the family . No William but 3 other children. Clara born in Wooten Wawen and Ethel and Hettie born in Wilmcote. Plus Alfred W Pestell? Tinpot

Yes, that's them. In Aston Cantlow in 1881. William is a clerk at a cement works. Other children there apart from Harry are John, Edith, Ernest, Clara, Edgar, William, Amy & Ethel.

Yes, that's them. In Aston Cantlow in 1881. William is a clerk at a cement works. Other children there apart from Harry are John, Edith, Ernest, Clara, Edgar, William, Amy & Ethel.
There is a cement works just north of Bishops Itchington. Has William Lewis died by 1891?

Susan is a widow in 1891 so I assume so. There is a death registered Mar qtr 1890 Southam for a William Lewis of the right age. Southam is the district Harbury is in.

Susan is a widow in 1891 so I assume so. There is a death registered Mar qtr 1890 Southam for a William Lewis of the right age. Southam is the district Harbury is in.
Thanks MSW . Did the 1939 register record an occupation for Harry Lewis?

There appears to be notice about the marriage of William Lewis & Susan Gunnell in the Worcester Journal.

Also several mentions of Susan's father Edward Gunnell a beerhouse keeper for short measures. Edward also seems to have been in the Merchant Navy.

There appears to be notice about the marriage of William Lewis & Susan Gunnell in the Worcester Journal.

Also several mentions of Susan's father Edward Gunnell a beerhouse keeper for short measures. Edward also seems to have been in the Merchant Navy.
Do you have a date for the marriage notice? I think beer is a theme in the Cartwright side of the family at Sherlock St! Tinpot

I can't see the scan, only see the transcript and it doesn't list occupation.
I have had a bit more success this week and first of all confirmed that William Lewis worked as a clerk at the Harbury Lime Works. I have a record of Harry Lewis b 1879 living as a boarder in 1901 census, along with a number of other single males, at 303 Bolton Rd, occupation engine fitter. All other men are working on the railways so it seems possible that he did also. Tinpot

I have had a bit more success this week and first of all confirmed that William Lewis worked as a clerk at the Harbury Lime Works. I have a record of Harry Lewis b 1879 living as a boarder in 1901 census, along with a number of other single males, at 303 Bolton Rd, occupation engine fitter. All other men are working on the railways so it seems possible that he did also. Tinpot

Regarding 303 Bolton Rd and the 1901 census and its railway worker boarders. Is that house situated near railway engineering works at that time?

Assuming that the numbers remained the same up until the 1950s, this is about where 303 was (pink dot) in 1889, engine shed well within walking distance...

Bolton Road.jpg

Back