• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lester

hdonty

I am looking for any information on my great Grandmother Edith Alma Lester. My Grandmother was sent to Canada via the Middlemores home in 1916 with her brother on the SS Scandinavian. My Grandmother's name was May Cheshire Sadler Lester and was born in 1911. The resided at 201 Lichfield Rd. Any information or photos of the area my family called home would be appreciated. I believe my great Grandmother was a seamstress.

Interesting. May's birth was registered as May Sadler Cheshire Lester and there seems little doubt that she was the daughter of a Samuel Cheshire. Her brother, Albert, was registered as Albert Sadler Cheshire.

In 1911 Edith is living in Sudbury, Staffordshire with Samuel, his mother, his children from a previous marriage and their children. She is listed as intended wife.

However, it appears that Samuel may have died in 1913 before they could marry (couldn't see one). Edith still took his name, dying in 1932.

Edith appears to have had another daughter, Alma Edith, listed as Cheshire b1915, d1918.

Samuel Cheshire was the son of Samuel Cheshie and Sarah Sadler, hence the names.

Samuel Cheshire was the son of Samuel Cheshie and Sarah Sadler, hence the names.
Thanks so much for letting me know, I have had trouble searching for any information on my great grandmother. I am going to add these names into my search and see what else I can find out. Again thank you.

Can't find what happened to Samuel's first wife, she's on the 1901 census but there doesn't seem to be a death registered. And not sure if it's an error or not but on the 1911 census Samuel is listed as married.

Also though listed as Clara Cheshire in 1911, she doesn't appear to be the daughter of Samuel and his first wife. Unlike the elder children she is registered as Clara Sadler Cheshie with no mmn. The other children - including 2 named Captain and Major - are listed with mmn Waterhouse.

So Clara might also be Edith's daughter and if Samuel's first wife was still alive it may be why Samuel and Edith didn't marry, if indeed they didn't.

Samuel's son John Frederick Sadler appears to have been killed in WWI.

Back