• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

LEST WE FORGET

G

Grace

Rod, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but various genealogy sites are remembering the Fallen of two World Wars and other conflicts. If it's ok can I start off with

William Linforth [b.B'ham] of The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers died 1917 in Belgium aged just 19. Remembered on the Tyne Cot Memorial.

And also all the brave men and women alive today who fought and came home, some of whom I have met on this site. It's a privilege.

May I add my thoughts, at this time, of:

Corporal George Albert Derbyshire.
1/6 Batt. Queens Royal Regt.

Killed in N.Africa 20th. Jan. 1943. Aged 22
Buried in Tripoli War Cemetary,Libya.

A Brother never Forgotten.

Sgt Edwin Holmes, 2nd Batt, South Staffs, died Belgium, 1914

Still remembered with pride by his great nephew and nieces.

Able Seaman Edwin Holmes, RN, died off the coast of Malta, 1945.

Remembered by a brother he never got to know.

Leading Aircraftman Arthur Stephens - Died in 1942 aged 22.

Buried in Jarva

Remembered fondly by his two sisters, Winifred Bayliss and Doreen Hall

Private William Beckett - My grandfather (a widdower) Died of TB as result of time spent in the French trenches - left a young orphaned family in 1924

i would like to remember my grandfather, his name was harold kain, he was in the royal artillery, he was with the british expeditionay force and was very badly injured at dunkirk, he died of his injuries in eastbourne.

although i never knew him from the stories my mom told me the world lost a very special person on that day.

:( We have a number of our family members who were killed , injured, or died as a result of WW1 & WW11. Our English ones in and around Europe and our New Zealand ones in and of the coast off Gallipoli. As of yet we do not have all their service numbers, or ranks.
Our message is in 'REMEMBERANCE' of all family members known and unknown who served with great courage for our sakes, you are never forgotten.

:D
Pte Rupert 26888 "C" Coy. 5th Bn. Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Died 22/08/1918 Key Hill Cemetery Ladywood Birmingham England
(Rupert joined in September 1917, but during his training was accidentally
injured with a bayonet. Rupert had his leg amputated but died thirteen days
later).

MABER, Pte George Fredrick 6/967 Canterbury Regiment, N.Z.E.F. New Zealand . Died 25/04/1915 Lonepine Memorial Gallipoli (Wounded at Gallipoli, boat blown up while being transported to hospital ship).

The few members of my family that I have been able to find so far - I'm sure that there are more to come I'm sad to say :(

Lynn winterton. Check out www.1abb.org.uk and the roll of honour. Your grandad is remembered each year at our remembrance service. Any information you have would be appreciated. Also check the photos on Flickr, link on website.

Taken from the Aston News.

Two brothers killed..... 13 children without a father

Attachments

• !!Aston news 0006.JPG
    !!Aston news 0006.JPG
    379 KB · Views: 24
Stephen McNickle born 1879

A well known face from the book "Gangs of Birmingham" and Police mug shots held at the West Midlands Police Museum in Sparkbrook. His image has become more well known since the screening of the BBC series Peaky Blinders and the resulting newspaper articles about the series and stories concerning the original Peaky Blinders.

In the 1911 Census Stephen McNickle was living with his wife Louisa and five children at Wharton Street, Nechells and his job was a "Edge Tool Striker."

He enlisted into the South Staffordshire Regiment on 12 October 1914. His attestation form on Ancestry is for One Years Service, Army Reserve (Special Reservist). He put down that he had previously served with the 3rd Battalion South Staffordshire.
His service papers on Ancestry are quite poor quality in parts and some information is very hard to read.

However it does seem that Stephen and Louisa were not married and a document in his papers states that they were married two days before he enlisted. No doubt she would not have received a separation allowance otherwise. The family were now living at Premier Street, Nechells.

Records show that he went to France 17 December 1914 and joined the 1st Bn South Staffordshire Regiment, Service No.10654
He was back in the UK on 8 January 1915 after 23 days.
He returned to France 17 March 1915 and back again on 28 June 1915 after 104 days in France.

He then spent the next three years in the UK and his records show that he was disciplined a few times for various misdemeanors.

I cannot see the actual date on his papers but at some time he was transferred to the York and Lancaster Regiment, service number 62575.
he was posted to the 18th Bn and landed in France on 3 July 1918

18th (Service) Battalion
Formed on 11 June 1918, absorbing the cadre of the 2/7th Bn, the West Yorkshire Regiment. Some sources say this was at Margate.
11 June 1918 : came under command of 41st Brigade of 14th (Light) Division at Stonycastle Camp, Pirbright.
3 July 1918 : landed at Boulogne. (taken from the website "The Long, Long Trail")

On 22 September, 1918, Pte Stephen McNickle received a Gun Shot Wound to his right arm and shoulder and his right arm was amputated. (A GSW was also used if a soldier was hit by shell fragments)

He came back to the UK on 2 October 1918 and taken to a Hospital in Cheltenham.

He was finally discharged from the army on 25 September 1919 (a year after his wound)

Stephen McNickle died on 20 June 1920 aged 41 and he is now buried in Nechells Roman Catholic Churchyard (St Joseph's) and has a Commonwealth War Grave headstone as no doubt his death was was caused by his his wounds received on 22 September 1918.

LEST WE FORGET

Attachments

• Stephen McNickle Peaky Blinder.jpg
    Stephen McNickle Peaky Blinder.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 21
Thanks for posting this Terry. I am in touch with Stephen McNickle's great great grandson Michael. Michael's mother Margaret McNickle was my best friend many years ago.
I am not sure how much of this information Michael has but I will let him know that this post is on here.

Last edited:
An example taken from the Birmingham Weekly Post published on Saturday 16 September 1916.
Each week there would be a list of men posted as Missing and parents and loved ones would seek information hoping they might have become prisoners of war.
In this example most of the dates given are 22-23 July. These would be Birmingham Pals killed during the attack near High Wood and their poor remains still lying in No Man's Land.

Attachments

• Missing in action.jpg
    Missing in action.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 26
Chris Baker, thank you for your message, I have only now found it. Yes I think the family knows that a lot of the men landing at Gallipoli were cut down in the water as they were going ashore to fight. What Jack's fate was we may never know.

can i add my families fallen
moms side

william withey 10437 royal warwicks 8/7/1915
albert maguire a/3502 kings royal rifles 6/8/1915
william albert letts 502030 royal engineers 5/2/1918
henry philip letts 1239 royal field artillery 6/8/1916
harry eusebius holmes 36482 r a m c 3/11/1916
henry james holmes 63975 royal field artillery 18/7/1916
frederick charles holmes 49426 royal garrison artillery 31/12/1916
percy allen bourne 9890 worcesters 14/9/1914
peter penfold 524358 canadian a m c 3/10/1918
dads side

philip john dawson12719 royal warwicks 25/1/1917
charles john william dawkes 33605 gloucesters 8/10/1917
albert riley 10798 gloucesters 8/8/1915
frank allsopp 11172 r a f 23/7/1918
ernest charles verity 295480 royal fusiliers 11/8/1918
albert edgar baugh 2781 royal warwicks 1/7/1916
not all direct family some sons of cousins of my grand and great grand parents but still family who should be rebembered
thanks for reading and noteing their sacrifice
zena x

Back