• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lest We Forget

In our little village here in Wales, I live on a hillside looking down into the village. At 11am I heard a lonely bugle play, and amid the peace and tranquility, I found it very moving. We mustn't forget, but the saddest part of it is that those who run the countries we live in will still send our sons brothers husbands and fathers and sacrifice them to the God of War. Some one posted a poem earlier on this week, and I echo the words, 'When will they ever learn'
Lynda

I always read this out loud ( or try, don't get very far) and cry my eyes out...

Tommy

by Rudyard Kipling (1865– 1936)

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o'beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:

O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's ``Thank you, Mister Atkins,'' when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's ``Thank you, Mr. Atkins,'' when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy how's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints:
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;

While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind,"
But it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind,
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country," when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
But Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!

43896 l/cpl H E Thomas A coy 1 platoon 5th Royal Berkshire Regiment
Harold Edward Thomas
Birth Place: Birmingham
Residence: Birmingham
Death Date: 26 Aug 1918
Enlistment Location: Balsall Heath, Warwicks
Regiment: Princess Charlotte of Wales's (Royal Berkshire Regiment)
Battalion: 5th Battalion.
Number: 43896
Type of Casualty: Killed in action
Theatre of War: Aldershot
Comments: Formerly 67934, Devon Regt.

died 26 Aug 1918 in,,,France {aged 20}
buried in plot3 row c grave 26,Peronne Rd Cemetery,Maricourt,France

View attachment 60270WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONE Where have all the flowers gone? Long time passing Where have all the flowers gone? Long time ago Where have all the flowers gone? Girls have picked them every one When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn? Where have all the young girls gone? Long time passing Where have all the young girls gone? Long time ago Where have all the young girls gone? Taken husbands every one When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn? Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn? Where have all the soldiers gone? Long time passing Where have all the soldiers gone? Long time ago Where have all the soldiers gone? Gone to graveyards every one When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn? Where have all the graveyards gone? Long time passing Where have all the graveyards gone? Long time ago Where have all the graveyards gone? Covered with flowers every one When will we ever learn? When will we ever learn?

William John Hemms, killed when the BSA was bombed, 19 November 1940 - buried Brandwood End
Mrs Lucy Wood, died 10 April 1941, Kywicks Lane, Camp Hill - buried Yardley Cemetery
Ralph Lindley. T/62771, Royal Army Service Corps, died 21 September 1943. Burma Railway. Buried Thanbuzayat War Cemetery
Marine Enrest William Quiney, PO/X 121028, Royal Marines, died 3 September 1945 - buried Newport (St Woolos)Cemetery
Pvt Charles Edward Thomas Loynes 8875 !st Btn, Royal Warwickshire Regiment, died 6 May 1915 - Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial
Billy Webb, died WWI (no details known)

RIP

I always read this out loud ( or try, don't get very far) and cry my eyes out...

Tommy

by Rudyard Kipling (1865– 1936)

How strange Dennis, I found that online yesterday, and was very moved by it.

Kipling's self-appointed role as the spokesman of the common soldier is best summed up in his own words: following is the dedication from his "Barrack Room Ballads".

Dedication

To T. A.

(T. A., or 'Tommy' was Tommy Atkins, the generic term for a British soldier. Thomas Atkins (also Thomas): a familiar name for the typical private soldier in the British Army; arising out of the casual use of this name in the specimen forms given in the official regulations from 1815 onward.
In some of the specimen forms other names are used; but `Thomas Atkins' being that used in all the forms for privates in the Cavalry or Infantry, is by far the most frequent, and thus became the most familiar. Now more popularly Tommy Atkins or Tommy.)

I have made for you a song,
And it may be right or wrong,
But only you can tell me if it's true;
I have tried for to explain
Both your pleasure and your pain,
And, Thomas, here's my best respects to you!

O there'll surely come a day
When they'll give you all your pay,
And treat you as a Christian ought to do;
So, until that day comes round,
Heaven keep you safe and sound,
And, Thomas, here's my best respects to you!

-- R. K.

Remembered to-day and every day by me.
24000081 Gdsn Millard D. 2nd Batt Coldstream Guards. Aden. 14/1/1965.
23879214 Gdsn Edge B. 2nd Batt ----------"---------. Aden.20/3/1965.
23701517 Gdsn Renolds M 2nd Batt ----------"---------.Aden.20/3/1965.
24000071 Gdsn Willkins D 2nd Batt ----------"---------. Aden.20/3/1965.
Gdsn Tannard P 2nd Batt ----------"---------. Aden 25/6/1965.
Sgt Metcalf A 2nd Batt ----------"---------. Londonderry 27/8/1972
Gdsn Pearson R 2nd Batt ----------"----------. Falls Road. 20/2/1973
Gdsn Doyle M 2nd Batt -----------"---------. West Belfast. 21/3/1973
Gdsn Brown A 2nd Batt -----------"----------. Balleymurphy.6/3/1974
Capt Pollen A 2nd Batt -----------"----------. Londonderry. 24/4/1974
My own dearest youngest son is at this moment in Afgahnistan with 51 Para Sqn RE.
TO all who suffer and grieve through war's cold blast
Regards to all Paul Stacey

Having read these posts, I'm crying too. I just dropped my son off at his friend's house (about 10 miles away, this is small town America), on the way we saw 3 parades and lots of sad faces, every town here holds a parade ending at 11, in the local cemeteries.

Know how you feel Fashionz. These are a few treasures from my old Nan, Hilda (nee Davies) Williams 1896 - 1997. 102 years young. Married regular soldier Bob (first pic) just as war broke out, having lost her mom when aged 8, only to see him called up first whilst on their honeymoon in Bordesley in 1914 when he was first in. One of the Old Contemptibles. He survived with just one bullet in his leg. Mended at the University of Bham casualty shelter. Mentioned in Despatches when dragging his Captain (he was his batman in Blues and Royals) back over the ridge to safety under heavy fire at Ypres. For this heroism and service he was sent to Afghanistan in 1918 for a couple more years. When he returned to civvy street he managed to put in fifty more years at the Dunlop. Nan lost two brothers meanwhile. Photos and heart wrenching hand written notes attached. They never lasted a year. Why do I cry like a baby this time of the year? Go figure...

Thanks for posting those precious memories Dennis. Today is a Provincial holiday in British Columbia and much has always been made of November 11 Armistice Day here. There are Remembrance Parades in every community across the country today. The ranks of the soldiers from WW2 are getting thinner and thinner every passing year. There will be a 21 gun salute in Stanley Park just after the two minutes silence at 11am. If the weather is very wet we always look out for the WW2 areoplanes that fly over our house on their way to the Cenotaph Ceremony in downtown Vancouver. Thousands will attend this.My Father's family wasn't so lucky. They lost their eldest son William on the battlefield in September 1915. I wish I had known him. There were so many Witton and Aston men who went to War in the First and Second World wars and never came back.

You swine Lloyd, you've gone and made me cry again now...

Sorry, Dennis. The whole remembrance day and its coverage always gets me thinking on different levels.

Lest we forget - we shall never forget, even though the eyes that witnessed get fewer every year. WW1 was the first war that was covered in detail by the upcoming media industry, so we can now sit at home and watch over and over the men falling in "some corner of a foreign field that is forever England" over nine decades ago, no conflict before could have been reported in such depth, sights that otherwise you would have had to be there to see.

Lest we forget - we must never forget, not only those whose lives were taken so brutally, but also those who suffered the most appalling injuries, both physical and mental, from which some would never recover. Also those who lost a husband, a father, a brother, a son, a friend - their hurt remained longer than wounds would take to heal.

My personal feelings on November 11th at 11 o'clock are not pride, but pain. Gratitude, yes, but that is not enough - more the need for the world to apologise to those lost, injured or affected by war for the life that was taken from them. The word 'Sorry' is all I can offer, and I am aware it is nowhere near enough.

I totally agree and echo your sentiments Lloyd my friend. But at least you acknowledge your hurt and gratitude to those that fought for us all in those darkest of days, and most likely pass this ethos and pain on to your younger family members. Job done. They will keep the memories going hopefully too, long after we are gone. It is never adequate, but all we can offer.

My son who is 11, watches with great interest all of the war footages and is very aware of how many lives were lost - one of our extended family died at Gallipoli and another great uncle was a bomb disposable expert who was killed in WW2. When he was about 8, dad had a cd called songs that won the war and he could recite Winston Churchills we will fight them on the beaches speech word perfect and explain what it meant!!
He was disgusted today at school when some of the older boys were not marking the silence and apparently wasted no time in telling them what he thought and explaining why the silence was held after it ended. We will also mark the silence during the rugby training on Sunday which the whole team ask to do.
So, some of the youngsters will carry on the traditions and realise the meaning behind them, lets hope that they can influence some of the ones whose families don't teach them.

RIP Granddad
In Memory of
Rifleman J SHELDON​

4581, 9th Bn., King's Royal Rifle Corps
who died
on 23 December 1918​

Remembered with honour
HAMBURG CEMETERY​

Hamburg%202007-Web.jpg

I always read this out loud ( or try, don't get very far) and cry my eyes out ... Tommy by Rudyard Kipling ...

Thanks, Dennis, for posting Kipling's insightful poem Tommy. And Lloyd for the extra information. I found it quite acceptable to swap "Digger" for "Tommy" and read it aloud in my Aussie accent.

A reflective thread, quite suitable for the occasion. Thanks everyone.

We will always remember those that gave their own day for our tomorrow, God bless them all.

Back