• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lest we forget

Agree Covroad. There are many, many more Birmingham memorials than I expected - Illustrates the significant contribution made and lives lost of Birmingham people. Viv.

I’m searching the IWM list in post #61 for our Erdington Postmen plaque. Can’t find it so far. Hopefully it’s listed, it should be. If not maybe it could be added ?

Below is the link to the background of Lyn (Astoness) and Kenny Stowe’s hard work to get it recognised and placed in the National Arboretum.

Viv.

Agree Covroad. There are many, many more Birmingham memorials than I expected - Illustrates the significant contribution made and lives lost of Birmingham people. Viv.
On that theme , the attached picture show a gas main damaged by a bombing raid in Oldbury Road Smethick . This highlights the risks the essential services of Birmingham took during the wars to safeguard , repair and delver basic services .The red line shows the length of main damaged and the works under way to replace the section of main.

Attachments

• 4256C3D5-42C8-4B00-811C-F103EFE6E0B9.jpeg
    4256C3D5-42C8-4B00-811C-F103EFE6E0B9.jpeg
    590.9 KB · Views: 8
As family researchers, military historians and anyone with a knowledge or interest in the effects of war we well know “Lest we forget” is the commonly used expression of remembrance for those lives lost. But I feel it lhas a far wider meaning. Like everyone who’s delved into their family history, we sadly uncover family members affected by war. Let’s also remember those who served and survived war, because its highly likely it meant a less than normal life thereafter, changed by the sights they’d witnessed, friends they’d lost and in dealing with the psychological effects this was bound to have on them. Those who were injured, survived and carried the mental scars of war for the rest of their lives paid a massive price too. Let’s not forget them. Viv.

Last edited:
Bedworth 11/11/22; and Nuneaton Remembrance Sunday first picture , Bedworth 2nd picture

Attachments

• 50F24A6B-55DD-4C90-AE16-FE1B29DF71CC.jpeg
    50F24A6B-55DD-4C90-AE16-FE1B29DF71CC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • CEC69D22-4737-4495-BE64-3604DF2243C5.jpeg
    CEC69D22-4737-4495-BE64-3604DF2243C5.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 7
A picture of the remembrance plaque to those who fell in WW1 , all were employee’s
from Nechells Gas Works, I have other pictures of Remembrance plaques , these will not upload as one post I will upload individually.

Attachments

• 77947BF1-A75F-48BE-8E58-34320B6E6003.jpeg
    77947BF1-A75F-48BE-8E58-34320B6E6003.jpeg
    973.3 KB · Views: 6
Last remembrance plaque to those fallen in WW1 who worked at Swan Village (West Bromwich) but then covered by Birmingham gas company
I am sure there was something like that at the Winsor Street office?

Back