• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lest We Forget 2016

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
ON FRIDAY AT 11 AM LET US ALL FALL SILENT AND SPARE A THOUGHT FOR THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR OUR COUNTRY...THEY MUST NEVER BE FORGOTTEN...GOD BLESS THEM ALL

RIFLEMAN HARRY FROGETT OF THE KINGS ROYAL RIFLES..AGED 21 DECEMBER 6TH 1916

Last edited:
8075 Kings Royal Rifles L/Sargent Arthur Edwin Bott died 1916 age 25yrs.

Harry Bott died 1940 in the Blitz age 58 along with his wife Nellie, daughter Joan and daughter Phyllis.

These are family I never knew about until our family history search.
Never to be forgotten by us now.
R.I.P.

Manys the time I have listened to the Last Post on remembrance day during my 8 years in the RAF, a very emotional piece of music, full of feeling, does any one know who the composer was ? Eric

The composer is unknown Eric.
I don't know how long it has been played but have just read that the Army changed the name in 1873 before that when it was played at the end of the day it was known as Setting the Watch.

smashing photos horsencart...nice to see that people are remembering...

cheers

lyn

I watched the Cenotaph service for the 11am Silence.

It is always a wonderful tribute to those of have given their lives for our freedom....

For Those Who Served.

It was also wonderful to see those that are still serving. Two lovely individuals, both in their nineties, who stood for around a quarter of an hour, silently, and with out moving an inch.

Like them, or not, we have to take our hats off to them, because that is dedication to duty

A credit to this nation.

Eddie.

Last edited:
I watched the Cenotaph Service too. I'm proud of those who march past and those who can't, but still go on their scooters and in wheelchairs.
A friend of ours marched a few years ago, he said it was tiring but everyone was so supportive.

The program last night from the Albert Hall was very moving too, so many petals. Is there still one for every life lost?
rosie.

I watched the Cenotaph service for the 11am Silence.

It is always a wonderful tribute to those of have given their lives for our freedom....

For Those Who Served.

It was also wonderful to see those that are still serving. Two lovely individuals, both in their nineties, who stood for around a quarter of an hour, silently, and with out moving an inch.

Like them, or not, we have to take our hats off to them, because that is dedication to duty

A credit to this nation.

Eddie.

totally agree with you eddie...i take my hat off to our royal family...to all the ex service men and women and to the general public who all turned out on such a cold day...total dedication by all to make sure that we never forget our fallen heroes....

rosie i also watched the service with as usual a box of tissues by my side...i did post up the last post at smack on 11 am but for some reason the time of posting has come up an hour later..once again god bless them all..

lyn

Tamworth 13th November 2016
13th  November 2016 Sunday 0017.jpg 13th  November 2016 Sunday 0019.jpg 13th  November 2016 Sunday 0022.jpg 13th  November 2016 Sunday 0028.jpg 13th  November 2016 Sunday 0038.jpg

Attachments

• 13th  November 2016 Sunday 0041.jpg
    13th November 2016 Sunday 0041.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 2
Hi Dave ,
Just to say a big thank you for your vidieo and photographs today,as i myself was unable to get out
Today to attend,sadly to say but i did buy my yearly poppy ,
I always make a point of it, i now have several poppies that i save
In fact we have slot of them even those you get from the super store made of steel
That you you stand high in the garden which i bought last week
I myself was in the 1st company of the royal warick fusaliars
My fathers brother eas in the waricks of aston he got killed in the somme
And i have been informed his name is on the gates at somme
Thanks again dave and i am sure you have given other members like me whom could not get there
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,

Last Friday I was able to join in the Remembrance Day ceremony at a little hilltop village near Avignon, in southern France.

About 50 or 60 people gathered in the village square outside the Mairie and then followed the Mayor and the tricolor bearer a couple of hundred yards to the village war memorial (which mentions the total French losses in the two wars as being 3,000,000). An address by the Mayor mentioning, in particular, two areas of great loss, Verdun and the Somme (where of course the French Army were heavily involved at our side). The level of losses for the French and the British in the latter were mentioned. Then the tricolor was lowered and the names of the 20 or so local men on the memorial were read out, one by one. After each name a murmur throughout the crowd: "Mort pour la France" ("Died for France"). Then the singing of the Marseillaise, a slow drift back to the village assembly room and a celebratory, council-provided glass of wine.

I chatted with a local man I know. He told me his mother lost three brothers in the Great War. I was able to mention my own Brummie father, lucky enough to receive a leg wound in France which got him home in April 1918, and my father-in-law from Walsall who was similarly injured at Passchendaele in the autumn of 1917. Two fortunate Blighty wounds to which my three grandsons owe their very existence.

In these times of post-Brexit tension with France, it is good to be reminded of those things which bind us together.

Chris

Back