• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lerose

R

Robert Barker

Does anyone remember a company called Lerose which I believe operated in Seeleys Road, Greet. I am looking for someone who worked there in the 1960s. They made clothing items. Thank for any help, Robert

I remember Lerose well, they made stylish ladies clothes and had a retail shop on the corner of High Street/Burlington Street, Aston, in the late 1950s/60s. They had a factory off Summer Lane, maybe Henrietta Street, anyway it was very near Constitution Hill. About 1988 it was still there and I went with a friend to a sale, it may have been a closing down sale. Sorry I don't know anyone who worked there.

Robert,
My next door nieghbour worked there for years, she used to make all my clothes. I am still intouch with here, let me know who you are looking for and I will ask her.
I used to do the models hair when they were putting a show on.

Last edited:
My mother in law worked at Lerose when I got married in 1961.
I was really skinny about six and a half stone(those were the days)and the smallest size in Britain at that time was size 12 or childrens wear.
I must have been what now would be size 8/10 and all clothes hung on me.
My mom in law got the girls to make me a suit smaller than those retailed.
It was in a cream 'crimplene' material and I wore it for my going away outfit
It was best fitting thing I had ever owned.

I don't know if it was Henrietta Street but certainly around there.

Hi.I know that this is an old post but l worked at Lerose as a contractor on a regular basis in the late 70s and 80's. l remember them having three factories around Henrietta Street. lf anyone is interested l may be able to give a bit more information.

Hi.I know that this is an old post but l worked at Lerose as a contractor on a regular basis in the late 70s and 80's. l remember them having three factories around Henrietta Street. lf anyone is interested l may be able to give a bit more information.
Friend of mine worked there in the late sixties, not sure for how long as we lost touch in 1967, her name was Pauline Thompson. I remember they used to let the staff buy the Jersey at a discount so she used to make up her own clothes at home, even buying an overlocker of her own.

l never worked there during the 60's. They seemed to have quite a large number of staff when l used to work for them. They also had a number of shops. One in Solihull and another in Stratford. l seem to recall they had 6 shops in all.

Hello everyone!

Delighted to find a few great local forums to post on relating to Birmingham – an amazing place and a City I will always be grateful to.

I thought I’d pop by to chat a little bit about my wonderful mum and hope that maybe someone remembers her from days passed. Perhaps even help me find a few of her colleagues and friends; this, I feel sure, mum would love.

I read a few posts here on a company called House of Lerose in Henrietta Street, Birmingham. I understand the founder of Lerose was a gentleman called Mr Rose.

My mum’s name is Arety. She is an adorable Greek lady and an incredible mother – I am very blessed.

Mum’s first ever job here was working in Mr Rose’s factory not long after we arrived in the UK – I think it was around 1964. She absolutely loved it! I think mum started as a machinist and then progressed to Section Supervisor.

When Mr Rose went on to launch Just Jersey in Temple Street (1970s-1980s) he asked mum to work from this shop and offer customers a garment alteration service. I smile when I think of those days as I remember mum’s excitement when one very special customer visited the shop – this was a lady called Noele Gordon (Meg Richardson from Crossroads)… sweet memories.

Some of the names I recall from childhood include Mr Rose, Mr Denning, Mrs E, Valerie Massey, Teresa an Italian lady, Hilda, Irene and many more.

And so… if anyone recalls mum or even me… please do let me know – I can’t tell you how happy this would make mum and me too!

Thank you everyone for your time!

Hi my mum was Kurt Rose's PA she was called Heather Goodchild back then, then Heather Gregory she left in 1974 when I was born

Welcome to the Forum, Meroula & Rai. Be aware of the search functionality, top right of every page. No doubt others will be along over the next few hours/days that know of this Company.

Maurice :cool: (ironically a resident of Kriti/Crete for the last 16 years)

Does anyone remember Tony Peaker, the mechanic?
xx.gif
Hi

Re: house of lerose

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 08:46:52 PM »

Hi
This was from a feed posted some time ago it may be of interest to you

I worked at Lerose from 1979 until 1885 with John Telford and Tony Chatterton. Sadly Tony passed away last year. I keep in regular contact with Phil Brown who was factory manager in Birmingham. At Tony’s funeral a good number of old Lersose employees attended including Trevor Mortlock, Mal Hughes, Brian Watts and Val Massey. I also understood that Mike Henry, Colin Stewart and Dave Mc Quigg had also recently passed away. Always a happy place and the girls had a great sense of humour and remember many names and faces.
Lerose was a quality business and gave me an education in fashion that no university
could ever have provided, the experience gave me a career which has taken around the world and now finall at NEXT
Great memories and so good to see those names again in these posts

Back