• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Leopold Street

guilbert53

master brummie
Around the HS2 site in Park St they have now erected large fencing as they are having an archaeology dig, then preparing the site for the station build.

Fixed to these hoardings are number of images, including this map below which I found very interesting (I have shown the modern equivalent after it).

It shows mostly what I guess is Eastside. On the right you can see the canal snaking its way through the area, ending in the "forked tongue" at Warwick bar at the bottom.

Roughly in the centre you can see Curzon St station with the railway lines coming in from the right.

Couple of things I noticed.

Duddeston Street, that runs across almost all the image, is now in fact called Curzon Street.

And in this image Bartholomew Street runs from the bottom left, straight right up to meet Duddeston St. But this of course was before the railway line came in from the right, in to New St station.

This "chopped" the top part of Bartholomew Street off so it had to bend to the right to meet Fazeley St and was renamed New Bartholomew Street.

Birmingham Map 2.jpg

Here is the modern version of roughly the same view.

Modern Map 2.png

hello guilbert i was down park st a few weeks ago and as you most likely know behind large fencing is the park st burial ground...i believe they are removing any remaining bodies and also the headstones....i only had a very small gap to get my camera in but managed to take a couple of shots and from what i could see only a couple of stones remained and the ground looked like it had been dug and covered over with something that looked like wood chippings but like i said i only had a very limited view...think i posted the photos on the curzon st thread...i have it on good authority that once the fox and grapes is demolished there will also be another archaeology dig before HS2 can move in..i am keeping them peeled for this one

lyn

Back