• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lennox Street

I think you must mean the horses further up street on left but in my nans grove terrace there was a lady who kept a horse in the garden poor thing, I remeber Janet sitch used to play games with cannot remember what no she lived at where you on a photo for the queens coronation I still have it see if I can get it on here.
I still keep in contact with Janet Weir dont know if you remember her, my dad used to run the football team at the Brook tavern also local sweep.
I would like to see a photo of the coronation party in Lennox St I lived at No 2/48 my sisters name is Pat and my name is John, we moved out to Kings Norton in 1956.

I used to live at 8/29 Lennox Street in the late 40's early 50's before we all moved to Kings Norton. Our family name was Overthrow, three girls Brenda, Pauline and Joan. Mum and Dad where Joseph and Rose. I wonder if anyone had any photos, or remembers our family? Such a long time ago!

hello pauline and welcome to the forum...have you read all of this thread as there are quite a few old photos of the street on it..

lyn

Hi
I'm new to this site so not sure how this works. My family lived in Lennox Street in 1957. I think they lived next door to a pub and they lived at No 51. Would anyone know the name of this pub or have any photographs please. Apparently my mom did the washing in the brew house.

Macdog,

I've just been through the whole of Lexxox Street, its places, terraces, & buildings, by address, and there is definitely no family that corresponds to your Wattons. However, there is an unoccupied house that, if they were numbered would probably be number 2 Sutton Place, Lennox Street. So my guess is that the enumerator had probably been around a short while before your family actually moved in. That's the best I can do for you I'm afraid.

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks so much to both of you. Having visual information really brings the stories I heard as a child to life.
Best wishes
Alison

Macdog,

I've just been through the whole of Lexxox Street, its places, terraces, & buildings, by address, and there is definitely no family that corresponds to your Wattons. However, there is an unoccupied house that, if they were numbered would probably be number 2 Sutton Place, Lennox Street. So my guess is that the enumerator had probably been around a short while before your family actually moved in. That's the best I can do for you I'm afraid.

Maurice :cool:
Many thanks for this Maurice. It was very good of you to go to so much trouble. I be
ieve your explanation of what happened with the enumerator makes sense. i really appreciate all your efforts.

It looks like that Edwin and Eliza had a daughter, Eliza Ann, registered Jun qtr 1871 (died 1872). Might be a dfferent address on her birth certificate.

Thank you, I will check this out.
I found Eliza’s birth details showing that she was indeed Edwin and Eliza (Bowen) Watson’s daughter. I have sent for the appropriate certificates which should help to find them in the 1871 census. At least it will show where they were all living in 1871. Thank you so much.

Sylvia
In 1881 there were two Lennox Streets, running into eacj other, one was Lennox St Hockley, the other Lennox St Lozells. Sometime in the middle of the 1880s (after the 1884 Kellys and before the 1888 edition), the two were merged, and , obviously, there was renumbering

This fantastic site has 201 streets named, but I can’t find Lennox Street, so I will go back 70+ years and see what I can remember. Hopefully, some of your members may be able to fill the gaps.
Starting from the Farm Street end the first grocery shop was on the right, and shortly after, on the left, was a second grocery shop with the Brook Tavern a couple of doors away.
I am sorry that I can’t remember the names of these shops, but I can name the third grocery shop on the right because it was ours, Sparlings at number 72.
In those days all the butter and lard came in large blocks, which was cut and weighed to your requirements, and wrapped in brown paper. Woodbine cigarettes came in open packets of five that we sold singly.
Two doors up from the shop was a coal yard and yet another shop two doors up from that. How did we all ever make a living?
Half way upon the right was a small factory dealing in metal plating and creating a stink and opposite was a yard where they kept the large dray horses for delivering beer. Finally, on the corner of Clifford Street, our local Fish and Chip shop and on the other corner my favourite shop. One a week, on a Tuesday, they had a delivery of ice cream from Midland Counties, and they would be sold out within an hour, so on our lunch break from Lozells Junior School, we would rush to the shop for our weekly treat.
There does seem to have been a lot of businesses in such a short street, I hope my memory has not let me down.
Hi Sparks, I'm looking at this with my Dad, Ken Molyneux. His grand parents Enock & Rose Molyneux lived in Lennox St in the 1930s/40s. He would love to hear from anyone who has memories of them.

My great grand parents Enoch and Rose Molyneux lived in Lennox St near the Brook Pub where a lot of his relatives used to drink. My Grandad was Horace Molyneux, uncle Ernest, Floss and Sis. Dad, Ken Molyneux would love to hear from anyone who has memories of that time.

These two pictures were apparently taken within 4 months of each other, I find the one on the left almost surreal, two of the tower blocks have since been demolished and you can envisage in years to come the outlook returning to how it was in the early 60s., (well almost!).
'The Welcome' fish and chip shop is in the bottom left-hand corner of each image. I don't understand why the towers aren't showing on the right-hand image, either the photo was greatly overexposed and washed them out or the date is wrong.
The well established tree in the middle of the right-hand image is going strong at this date (I wonder if it survived), it was situated in Grove Terrace next to the Brook Tavern.

Attachments

• lennox-st-x2.jpg
    lennox-st-x2.jpg
    897.5 KB · Views: 29
On the Birmingham map of 1889 this building is shown as 'Fountain Works (disused)', on the 1950s map it is labelled 'Brass Press Works'. I can find nothing relating to Fountain Works in the directories, I assume if it was disused by 1890 then it probably existed even before Lennox Street (Lenox Street) was built.
Can anybody help? What would the address be for this prior to Lennox Street? Thank-you

Attachments

• fountain-works-lennox-st.jpg
    fountain-works-lennox-st.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 12
It seems to be behind what is no 30 on 1950 map. In the 1884 Kellys no 32 is Edginton & Co ,brassfounders. .This firm had disappeared by the 1888 edition. Previously in the 1883 edition Edginton & Co, manufacturers of fire brasses, dogs and brass fenders, were listed as at 98 Pritchett St. This would fit in with a notice in the Birmingham & aston chronicle, when a meeting concerning Edginton & Co was held with their creditors (address given as different, but this was likely to be registration address not factory) in august 1883. They kept going a bit longer, as they were advertising for brass finishers in december of that year, but presumably alter collapsed.
Regarding the factory before. Pre 1884 there were two Lennox streets, a Hockley one and a Lozells one, each separately numbered. These were merged between the 1883 & 1884 directories. All I can say is that No 32 Lennox st pre 1884 was between 15 and 22 Lennox st Hockley. Previous to 1883 I can see no significant factory in a position between these numbers . I would conclude therefore that Eglinton & CO were likely to be the first occupants of the factory, and possibly it was taking this on that helped their demise

Birm & aston chronicle. 11.8.1883.jpgbirm post 18.12.1883.jpg ,

Not that give any detail.. Vague shapes of buildings and quite small scale. The Pigott smythe map of c1824 is a bit better, but to early for you and does not go out that far anyway

It seems to be behind what is no 30 on 1950 map. In the 1884 Kellys no 32 is Edginton & Co ,brassfounders. .This firm had disappeared by the 1888 edition. Previously in the 1883 edition Edginton & Co, manufacturers of fire brasses, dogs and brass fenders, were listed as at 98 Pritchett St. This would fit in with a notice in the Birmingham & aston chronicle, when a meeting concerning Edginton & Co was held with their creditors (address given as different, but this was likely to be registration address not factory) in august 1883. They kept going a bit longer, as they were advertising for brass finishers in december of that year, but presumably alter collapsed.
Regarding the factory before. Pre 1884 there were two Lennox streets, a Hockley one and a Lozells one, each separately numbered. These were merged between the 1883 & 1884 directories. All I can say is that No 32 Lennox st pre 1884 was between 15 and 22 Lennox st Hockley. Previous to 1883 I can see no significant factory in a position between these numbers . I would conclude therefore that Eglinton & CO were likely to be the first occupants of the factory, and possibly it was taking this on that helped their demise

View attachment 157629View attachment 157630 ,
I just had a flash of inspiration (I don't get them very often), I put 'fountain works into the search box in Ancestry (I don't know why I didn't do that before),I found this from 1903.

Attachments

• fountain-works-1903.jpg
    fountain-works-1903.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 6
Sorry. I thought you were mainly interested in the origin. Obviiously did not read properly.Will have a look for later mentions

It looks (to me) as though it was named 'Fountain Works' by John Beardmore but if you can trace it further back I would appreciate it.

Have gone further into it, up to 1933 Kellys (remember date is pub.date and probably refers to year before) If you want further on then can do it,

There is no mention of the place in the 1890 Kellys, but in the 1892-96 editions John Beardmore is listed as at no 36 Lennox St as a bicycle fork manufacturer The factory was off the street and I guess it had another entrance further along, explaining the different number. In the 1887-1900 editions he is listed as John Beardmore, weavers mail manufacturers , but in the1903-1904 editions as John Beardmore & Co Ltd (Fountain works) Lennox St (the number being dropped).

An advert for staff in the Birmingham Mail in Sept. 1891 does also refer to it as the Fountain works, Lennox St

In 1908-1913 it is Trickett, Bailey & Co.boiler & motor shed makers (Fountain works)
In 1915-1921 it is The Forward Electric Co, electrical fittings manufacturers, (Fountain works)
1924 The City Fuse Board Co, electrical accessories manufacturers, (NO FOUNTAIN WORKS)

By 1932 edition the factory seems to have been subdivided and address reverting to no 32. The occupants are:
32 Barker & Co. (Birmingham) Ltd. perambulator fittings mkrs
32 Woolley Edmond, motor accessory mfr ,
32 Short & Carter, capstan workers

In 1933 even more subdivision:
32 Barker & Co. (Birmingham) Ltd. perambulator fittings mkrs
32 Smith M. tool maker
32 Woolley Edmond, motor accessory mfr
32 Short & Carter, capstan workers

Looking in Newspapers, searching for "Fountain works Lennox st gave a number of job adverts for 190-6, and one for the Forward electrical co in 1914

That's brilliant Mike, thank-you for the time you have spent doing that. I think I will put a separate write-up on the map to cover that works. As you say Mike taking on that premises was probably the beginning of the end for Edginton & Co.

Back