• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lennox Street

1950s lived by wall in digs by yard with horses remember names sitch robert and janet
me and my sister carol lived there till mid 50s
I think you must mean the horses further up street on left but in my nans grove terrace there was a lady who kept a horse in the garden poor thing, I remeber Janet sitch used to play games with cannot remember what no she lived at where you on a photo for the queens coronation I still have it see if I can get it on here.
I still keep in contact with Janet Weir dont know if you remember her, my dad used to run the football team at the Brook tavern also local sweep.

Lyn, Phil, thanks for your replies. I will be seeing my F in L tomorrow so will ask him if he remembers anything else.

Further information off Joe, my Father in Law. The family that owned/run the ?snooker hall? were named Yafrati, not sure of the spelling and he believes they were of Italian origin. There were two brothers that he remembers, Tony and Vince. Vince was the same age as Joe so he would now be in his 90s (Joe is 95 in June) and Tony was a few years older.

Joe is a member of the Forum but cannot remember his user name and password so help off an administrator would be welcome.

Many thanks, jimbo

Hello all,
I am a bit off topic with this post with a very sad incident but it is worth a try anyway. My sister was with an other young woman who tried heroically but in vain to rescue two children from a fire in a terraced house in Lennox street, Lozells sometime around 1967. My sister was Carol Birch then aged 20 and the other girl was either Sylvia or Irene Caulkin of Jubilee avenue in Lennox street.. The two young children who tragically died in the fire were Patrick and Hilary Salmon. My sister recently passed away and I knew nothing of this incident until I found an old partial newspaper clipping in her photograph album. I would dearly love to know what happened and when this occurred, if anyone may recall the fire or the circumstances I would appreciate it.I apologize if this brings back sad memories for anyone.
Thank you

hello charlie please accept my condolences on the loss the loss of your sister...she must have been very brave to try and save those two young children...i dont think the online british newspaper archives go up to 67 so you may have to visit the library in town to find the full newspaper report...i knew someone who lived in lennox st about that time but not sure if i still have their contact details...if so i will contact them and ask if they remember this incident

all the best

lyn

The Birmingham post does now go up to 1974, though I am not sure if any of that period are missing. Did a search for lennox st for 1965-69 and only adverts came up

so nothing in the birm post then mike unless as you say some years are missing..could be a search of newspapers in the library then although without a definate year that could prove to be a long job..

lyn

Thank you very much for trying to find info on this. I thought that the Birmingham library might have a newspaper archive but as we live in Canada that is a problem for us. Hopefully, someone will remember this incident and post online. thanks again for looking.

I just noticed that the newspaper clipping is from the Evening mail, so I guess that would be the Birmingham Evening Mail. Are there archives online for this newspaper up to 1967/8?

Are you sure of the surname Salmon? I can find no trace of them. Sylvia Caulkin, born 1957 (with twin[?] brother Alfred and older siblings John born 1952 and Janet born 1950) lived with parents Ernest and Irene (nee Hoye) Caulkin at 10 Jubilee Avenue, Lennox Street at the time.

i think thats a liberty phil...bet they have done that on most photos that we uploaded from photobucket

lyn

Hi Lyn, A Chrome extension easily removed the PBwatermarks and copied 16 without watermarks. I could upload them later if anyone wants to replace them.
Phil

The original images were posted in 2011 when the BHF did not add watermarks. The Chrome extension only removes PB watermarks.

Hi Lyn, A Chrome extension easily removed the PBwatermarks and copied 16 without watermarks. I could upload them later if anyone wants to replace them.
Phil

phil all the photos with the PB watermark have now gone from the thread...have you got them as im confused again lol

lyn

Hi Lyn, Yes I have got them and will upload them as forum pics. It seems that PB have switched off because I have just looked elsewhere and PB pics I could see earlier are now not showing.
Phil

ok thanks phil...the pics are now back still with the PB water mark i still have the lennox st pics so when i have time i could delete them and repost minus the watermark

lyn

phil can you do me a favour please..can you save any of those photos and then see if you can view it on your pc because i cant..its saying the file has been renamed?

cheers

Hi Lyn, I think PB are having problems because the watermarked images are appearing then not appearing.
I'm on an iPad at the moment but will switch on my laptop and upload the pics without watermarks.
Phil

Here are the pics ... after you have put them back either from your own files or from here, you can delete this post.
I'm not sure whether I have the captions correct ... will have to check
Grove Terrace
Lennox_Street_-_Grove_Terrace_Newtownlyn_-_15-11-1965.jpg
Jubilee Ave
Lennox_Street_-_Jubilee_Av_Newtownlyn_-_15-11-1965.jpg
Back of 49-51
Lennox_Street_Back_of_49-51_Newtownlyn_-_15-11-1965.jpg
Back of No 37
Lennox_Street_Back_of_No_37_Newtownlyn_-_15-11-1965.jpg
Backyard
Lennox_Street_Back_Yard_Newtownlyn_-_15-6-1967.jpg
Numbers 2-20
Lennox_Street_No_2-20_Newtownlyn_-_12-6-1967.jpg
Numbers 98-100
Lennox_Street_No_98-100_Newtownlyn_-_18-10-1961.jpg
Numbers 102-228 from Clifford St
Lennox_Street_No_102-228_-_From_Clifford_Streetlyn_-_6-3-1968.jpg
Numbers 102-228 towards Clifford St
Lennox_Street_No_102-228_towards_Clifford_Street_Newtownlyn_-_11-3-1965.jpg
Numbers 115-143 from Clifford St
Lennox_Street_No_115-143_from_Clifford_Street_Newtownlyn_-_4-3-1968.jpg
Numbers 134-160 from Gerrard St
Lennox_Street_No_134_-160_From_Gerrard_Streetlyn__-_6-3-1968.jpg
Rear of Lennox St
Lennox_Street_Rear_of__Newtownlyn_-_15-6-1967.jpg
Lennox St - Gerrard St
Newtown_-_Lennox_Street_-_Gerrard_Streetzt_23-7-1968.jpg
Brook Tavern
BrookTavern.jpg
Taken from Gerrard St
Image2.jpg
Title not known
Image1.jpg

Last edited:
I've just added the Brook Tavern ... had to fight PB to get it …:grinning:
Edit addition showing Photobucket's reason for watermarks
Proudly Hosted on Photobucket watermark
Photobucket hosts over 30 million images for free every day! In order to keep our basic hosting services absolutely free for all members, we overlay a “proudly hosted on Photobucket” watermark on all images that are displayed by our free members on sites other than photobucket.com.
By watermarking images, we are able to reduce our brand marketing expenses to offset our bandwidth costs. Everyone wins!
If you prefer your images to remain watermark-free, we invite you to upgrade to one of our affordable plans that includes enhanced hosting services starting at $4.03/month (billed annually)

Last edited:
Are you sure of the surname Salmon? I can find no trace of them. Sylvia Caulkin, born 1957 (with twin[?] brother Alfred and older siblings John born 1952 and Janet born 1950) lived with parents Ernest and Irene (nee Hoye) Caulkin at 10 Jubilee Avenue, Lennox Street at the time.
Hi Lloyd, thanks for the info on the fire in Lennox street. The person who is mentioned in the newspaper clipping with my sister Carol was Mrs Irene Caulkin so you are on the right trail for sure. The two kids who died were named Salmon and the fire was in a terraced house in Lennox street, Lozells. I only have a part of the newspaper clipping but can see something about a 3 month old child who was possibly rescued but cant be sure.Thanks again to anyone who might remember this incident.

I do remember Gough Terrace but not McCarthy Buildings. I would like to get hold of a sreet map for about 1940, it would help jog my memory. Lennox Street no longer exists as I knew it. In 1965 the council decided that we lived in slums, bulldozed the lot and moved everyone to Chemsley Wood on the outskirts of Birmingham.

I do remember Gough Terrace but not McCarthy Buildings. I would like to get hold of a sreet map for about 1940, it would help jog my memory. Lennox Street no longer exists as I knew it. In 1965 the council decided that we lived in slums, bulldozed the lot and moved everyone to Chemsley Wood on the outskirts of Birmingham.
[ hi sparks we lived in one of the back to backs but moved to kings norton great memories of Lennox st

Back