• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lennox Street

Hi
I was born in Lennox street 38 my Mom and dad Ethel and Joe Kirby lived there for years I am sure I remember my dad know an Albert Clayton what number did you live at
Gladi

Hi
Wesley Boy well well well I sadly had to go to my god daughters funeral I met Wesley boy and his family at the funeral as his son went out with my god daughter, Lovely family we had long chat about Lennox St
Gladi

hi Lyn,
i think you have already been in contact with my Sister topsyturvey ? Margaret, she actually put me on to this site......i love it.

a freind of mine who lives in Canada, also lived in Paddington street, i will ask if he has any pictures, we lived at number 39 he ( david Astley) lived over the road opposite Bellingers shop and at the back of the bombed peck, behind the Robinsons, the Reids, up his back houses lived also the Arnolds and i think the Kanes.

all the best
Albert

hi albert...so you are topsys brother..well thats just great news...i was born at 4 back of 12.....im sure ive been in touch with david astley but not through this forum...if it is him im sure he sent me a pic of him and a friend of his taken some years ago outside the factories in porchester st...mind you i could be wrong as it must have been a couple of years back...

lyn

hi albert...so you are topsys brother..well thats just great news...i was born at 4 back of 12.....im sure ive been in touch with david astley but not through this forum...if it is him im sure he sent me a pic of him and a friend of his taken some years ago outside the factories in porchester st...mind you i could be wrong as it must have been a couple of years back...

lyn

great Lyn
yes you are correct, david also sent me that photo......there are also a couple of Paddo people on friends reunited........Carol Macadorey, the Terry sisters from over by where your house was.
take care
Albert

thanks albert...i will have to have a look for the other paddos on friends then..i must drive folk mad asking if they have any pics..

thanks albert...and enjoy the forum there is a lot of brum history on here...oh dont forget to go to the guildford st thread..im sure you will recognise the pics i have posted...any problems just get back to me...

lyn

hi all..for those members interested in lennox st i shall be posting a new batch of pics tomorrow that have not been on the forum before..the last lot i did were of very poor quality and very small as they came to me in thumbnail format...the new ones will be a lot better..

lyn

hi all..for those members interested in lennox st i shall be posting a new batch of pics tomorrow that have not been on the forum before..the last lot i did were of very poor quality and very small as they came to me in thumbnail format...the new ones will be a lot better..

lyn

Look forward to pictures as I lived in Lennox St 1943 till 1963
Gladi

hi gladi...hope these pics bring back some memories for you..

lyn..

first pic is of grove terrace...dated 1965

Lennox_Street_-_Grove_Terrace_Newtownlyn_-_15-11-1965.jpg

smashing on this....the brook tavern...dated 1961 ..you can even see the budgies cage in the window of the house on the right...

Newtown_1_101_Brook_Tavern_Lennox_Street_25-7-1961.jpg

showing the old and the new...looking towards farm st..dated 1968

think thats the lot folks...should be 17 pics in all...

Newtown_-_Lennox_Street_-_Gerrard_Streetzt_23-7-1968.jpg

Hi
I have not visited this site for many months, and what have I been missing. Great photographs and great memories. I lived at 110 from 1936 until we moved to the shop at 72 a few years later. I remember it was early in the war, and it must have been a Sunday. I was sat on the table and mom was tying up my brown shoes, and if it was brown shoes it had to be a Sunday. There was great excitement as a barrage balloon had broken loose and landed in Grove Terrace. It wedged perfectly between the houses without any space to spare. I can't remember how it was moved.
If I can use those fantastic pics, I can start on my scrapbook again, and start paying visits to this great site.
Regards
Sparks

hi sparks and welcome back...please help yourself to any of the photos i am resposting...this is why they are posted on the main forum threads to encourage us to share our memories and i my case jog it lol....its great that there is a pic of grove terrrace(if memory serves me right this was originally called grove avenue) where you say the barrage balloon landed and surely the pic on post 152 must show your old house at no 110 as its showing house numbers 102 to 228

lyn

Hi Astoness, I have enjoyed your pics of Lennox Street. My Grandmother lived in Lennox Street, my Dad was brought up there. I remember visiting as a child, that long walk down the street from the north end, Her house was, as far as I can remember, on the left hand side just beyond one of those Avenues on the opposite side of the road, the pic in post No 153 looks like it could have been one of those, I do remember her back garden, it backed onto a huge high wall at the end of the garden, but hav'nt a clue what that was, Thanks for the pictures.

Goffy

hi goffy and thank you for sharing your memories of lennox st...from memory quite a few streets had very steep inclines...there was guildord st..lennox..wilton and wheeler st..i have often why this was....

lyn

#159 What a great picture.....Brings back so many memories. You can see our kitchen window in The first Tower block on the 8th floor and that was the year we moved in. I Can almost picture me and our Mom looking out of the window having a nose around.

Back