• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Len 'Tiger' Smith 1930's Birmingham boxer

W

wendy horne

Searching for information on my Great Grandfather, Len 'Tiger' Smith.
The Popular local birmingham boxer of the 1930's.

Any information, copies of photos or literature would be very much appreciated.

I know he fought over 200 pro fights. And British Welterweight title holder 1934.

I believe in 1937 he took the Amercian, WBA Featherweight Title Holder The Great Freddie Miller to 10 rounds In Johannesburg, South Africa.

Many thanks Claire . . .

But I found that site earlier this morning!!!

Its the only bit of info I have managed to find so far.

Many thanks for the information Lloyd.
Im going to follow up on those links you gave me.

Even though I have seen it before, the photo brought a tear to my eye.

Thank all for the info today, very intresting.
going onto my family tree.

Wendy

WENDY have you had contact off a lady regards your Len 'Tiger' Smith?? she's mailed me saying she is related to him? If not i'll pass on her email for you

Hi Clare I have not had any contact from the lady you mentioned I would like her email address to have contact many thanks.
Wendy

Have sent Wendy the address just to keep everyone updated, i'm sure Wendy will fill us in on her findings :) Best of luck Wendy!

Hi Claire

Just to give you an update, we are trying to make contact at this very minute with the lady from South Africa, & we believe she is online at present.

Wendy

Especially for Claire, just a update for everybody to know we have managed to make contact with relatives in South Africa, regarding the boxer Len Tiger Smith.

Hi! What a magical journey it has been finding Wendy H through this Forum - we have had many a chat since making contact and I have given her all the information of the family here in South Africa. I am Len "Tiger" Smith's Granddaughter - my Mom (Mary Elizabeth - Betty) is his daughter from his marriage to Lillian Smith (nee Harris). Len and Lillian were married in Birmimgham on the 6th August 1934 and my Mom was born in Sowerby Bridge on 12 April 1935.

Since making contact with my UK family, it has to date been an impossable task to locate the fact if Lillian is still alive (she was born in 1913) or if she has passed on, where her grave could be??????

as I live in South Africa, I have no idea of the UK, nor do I know how to make contact with any cemetaries or where they are located, as I believe they have specific names.

COULD ANYBODY PLEASE HELP FOR MY MOM's SAKE? PLEASE?

Most appreciated,

Emmie

"our attitude towards life determines life's attitude toward us"

Though my Mom

Still searching dor Len's wife- LILIAN SMITH (nee HARRIS). Their daughter just has her 77th birthday on the 12 th April 2012 and we have yet to trace her Mother Lillian or where she was burried,

Yes, it was wonderful to have made contact with Wendy - she was a blessing and gave is lots of info on our lost family that we knew nothing about, WENDY, WE HAVE HIGH REGARD FOR YOU AND YOU WILL ALWAYS BE PART OF OUR FAMILY TOO - YOUR SON AND MY MOM's 6 children, Mona, Emma (myself) Koos, Jan, Leon and Izak are all cousins as we share the same grandfather - leonard Horace Smith xxx

Hi Emmie

Did your grandparents Len and Lillian split up when your mother was young or not ?, because if so it will be very hard to trace her, but if they were still together, then my first port of call would be to send for the death certificate of Len, that should tell you who was present at his death, also the address where he was living, if Lillian appears on the certificate, then you know she was alive after 1978, which would narrow the search down slightly, I would then check the electrol roll for the address where they were living in 1978, again to see if she appears on it, I would also check the next few years to see when her name disappears, then I would check the death index to see if anyone with that name is on it...I know you live overseas so it would be almost impossible for you to do all that yourself, are you still in contact with Wendy ?, if so ask her if she can or already has done what I have suggested....Knowing Wendy I think she may have already....(I am her step brother, her mom married my dad )

I am so delighted to hear from you as I have been extremely frustated for not being able to trace my grandmother's grave nor when she may have died. I know that Len and Lillian was estranged (do mot know if they were legally devorced) when Len brought my mom out to South Africa.

Wendy helped us an awfull lot, but she too can not trace Lillian's grave, however, she gave me permission to share her Ancestral link and I noticed last week that she noted that Lillian died in 1960 - still do not know if she actually traced anything - they have had a death in the family and I do not want to bother her with my query while they are mourning.

I beg you to please inform me if you get any info, I feel too shy to keep asking Wendy after all she has done for me!

Take care and thinks a billion-billion, you reply is so much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

Emmie

Back