• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Leigh Road School Washwood Heath

looking for anybody who went to leigh road school washwoodheath in the 60's
Just found this site, only ten years late at replying,went to leigh road school, left in 1963, friends were Terry vaughan, Roger Tovey, Peter Lodge, Alas Spears.

Charles Harbone

Hi
Can anyone tell me what year Leigh Road Secondary School closed? I know St Joseph RC Primary took over the building in 1963, then The Rosary Scondary in 1970/71. Thanks in advance :)

Macca
Hi Macca
I think Leigh Road Secondary closed in 1966 the year after I left.

I noticed that the link to images of this school no longer works, so I have uploaded this one, it looks like an early one.

Hi everyone. Just found this site. I was at Leigh Road from 1960 until July 1964. I remember Mr Rothera who was head teacher and Mr Darlington, Mr Spink Mr Vaughan , Mr Grocer who covered metalwork but that's all I can remember. Played chess, cricket and football for the school. If anyone remembers me I would be very interested. Cheers

Now I remember some school friends.Peter Ball, Michael James,Chris Colley.Freddie Teague,Cavin Soldue. David Baker who went to work at Cincinnati on Kingsbury Rd like me.

Hi,

I worked in the Met offices opposite Leigh Rd School in the 1970s/1980s, and one of our
directors was very concerned that the lightning conductor on the school, (shown at the side of the
left hand chimney in Leigh Road), had collapsed. He visited the headmaster, and offered to have
our Maintenance team refix it, but he declined saying he wasn't allowed to authorise that.

It never did get repaired in the time that I was there,- I wonder if it's still the same now!!

Kind regards
Dave

Now I remember some school friends.Peter Ball, Michael James,Chris Colley.Freddie Teague,Cavin Soldue. David Baker who went to work at Cincinnati on Kingsbury Rd like me.
Hi Keith, do you remember Keith Jones Robert finlay Keith Williams Norman Jackson John Higgins Burke mf and myself Burke mc

Hi does anyone know what happened to this school please ? I am in the process of going through my parents' things and found a medal with the school name on. I know they were both born in Birmingham (Alum Rock and Warley) in the 1930s and I was born there too (Marston Green, now under the end of a runway) but we moved out when I was very young and I am now trying to work out where they lived and worked etc.
I must also confess to not being very good at navigating this type of site so apologies if I'm duplicating a post. I have no hope of ever being able to identify the people and places in the thousands of photos I have found in their loft but it's fun looking.
Thank you for your time.

Welcome Kathy. Here is the potted history of the school from British History Online. I’m not sure if the school still exits. We have a thread about this school so I shall move your post to that thread. Viv.

LEIGH COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Washwood Heath. Leigh Rd. Council Sch. opened 1909 by Birm. C.B.C. Accom. 1,000 M, I. Altered and reorganized 1931 for SB, JI. SB dept. became a separate sch. 1945 (see next sch.). Name changed 1954. Accom. 1961: 8 classrooms, hall.

LEIGH BOYS' COUNTY MODERN SCHOOL, Washwood Heath. Leigh Rd. Boys' Cty. Modern Sch. became a separate sch. 1945 (see preceding sch.). Practical block destroyed by enemy action, reinstated 1948. Name changed 1954. N.o.b. 1961: 420.

Viv.

Last edited:
Kathy I’ve now moved your post to this thread. You may find earlier posts of interest.

I notice one member has commented that the school closed in the 1980s but afraid I can’t confirm that. Viv.

Back