• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Left handed rifle

M

mike-g

One of my fathers brothers was in a Scottish Regiment between the wars and was in barracks at Edinborough Castle. Among the stories he told me was that he was issued with one of the 6 LEFT HANDED Lee Enfield rifles ever made.
Knowing some of the stories he did tell I often wonder if this could be true? Can any of you army buffs comfirm that they were in fact made and issued.

I am left handed , and I was issued with the same 303 rifle as any one else. Think somebodies having a joke Eric

Mike. Just been on to Wyre Forest Guns and Barry said there are definitely left handed guns. He runs the clay pigeon centre. He did explain the guns he keeps for left handed people but was far too technical for myself. Jean. .

As a left handed person, I cannot see what possible difference a leftie would need from a right handed person ???? On a bolt action rifle the bolt may have to be operated from the "wrong" side but you adapt to that easily. I encountered no problem, and my marksmanship was above average Eric

Last edited:
Mike. Just been on to Wyre Forest Guns and Barry said there are definitely left handed guns. He runs the clay pigeon centre. He did explain the guns he keeps for left handed people but was far too technical for myself. Jean. .

JEAN We are talking Lee Enfield Rifles Army RAF Etc:)

I thought a gun was a gun Alf. Only trying to be helpful:cry::cry:.
Mike G was asking about a certain Rifle
Well they can all kill us Jean but its no good going to War with a Air Pistol unless your enemy has the same:(

They are clay pigeon rifles and I have paid for two sessions in advance then I broke me b....y arm. I phoned for that to re book then just asked off the cuff. Oh well I am a woman you know and what do we know about guns?. Jean.

When I done my Basic Training in the RAF in 1948 at Cardington apart from the 303 we also were trained in the Sten and Bren gun and as a left handed person again I had no problem. Eric

As a left handed person, I cannot see what possible difference a leftie would need from a right handed person ???? On a bolt action rifle the bolt may have to be operated from the "wrong" side but you adapt to that easily. I encountered no problem, and my marksmanship was above average Eric

It's a bit of a bugger when the cartridge-case ejects into your face though! :)

I worked at BSA Guns, Blossomfield Rd, they made Martini International small bore competion fifles and the marksmen & markswomen had their rifles made to measure with left handed butts if required, i have never seen l/handed rifle made for British military forces, and GG Jean my friend & Artist, Guns are artillery, Anti-Aircraft, Howitzers, Field Guns etc, you do not call your Rifle a gun!. Len.

I used to own a Martini Inr breach load .22 match rifle, lovely competition tool, It followed me through Warwickshire, Staffordshire and Monmouthshire. When I joinec B.C.P. they were not happy that I was not in a club since moving to Birmingham and asked??? that I sell it. ( threatened to withdraw my Pt 1 firearms cert if I did not.)

When i was a sniper on our bomb-peck i used to have a left hand rifle that shot round corners i,ve killed thousands of indians. Dek:rolleyes::cool::D

When i was a sniper on our bomb-peck i used to have a left hand rifle that shot round corners i,ve killed thousands of indians. Dek:rolleyes::cool::D

Dek I had a Flash Gordon Ray Gun you couldn't see and had to tell you when you had been hit on our Bomb Peck when and didn't feel a thing.:cooleyes: It belonged to Ming:dft005:

Back