• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lee

wallyb71

master brummie
Can someone tell me how to research my mothers family. Her father was George Lee but I don't know what her mothers name was. I know they lived in Kingsbury Rd, Edington.
Thankyou.

Have a nice day, Wally.

:angel: Wally if you are willing to give us your mother's first name/s.‚.. and the date of her birth ( or about). We may be able to find her family on one of the Census' and that will give you a starting point.

There are 59 George Lee's on the 1901 census living in the Warwickshire area and many of these are in the Birmingham/ Aston/ Aston Manor area (A number of them would also be in the 1891and 1881 census' too). So your mother's name or her siblings names and a few dates are needed to cut the possibilities down a wee bit. O0

Pom, I don't know what her mothers name was. I know they had five daughters,Phylis,Ida,Daphne,Kate and Jesse and at least one son, Lawrence.
My Mothers name was Jesse May and I think she was born on Dec, 11th 1905.

Thankyou for you response, Have a nice day,    Wally.

Wally, I watched how this subject has started to develop,trying to trace someone when all you have is a name, what a lot of people don't (or fail ) to understand is this, around the period of the Great War a lot of people changed their name to enlist, either to run away from home, a chance to make a new start or for some other reason. Now I have been researching a George Badgoak but found he does not exist
a George Lee used that name and enlisted using that name, and he would never have been found out.
But he did something that even he did not realize he was awarded a medal for bravery so then your details have to come out (i.e. birth certificate for the records ) If he had been killed he would have been buried or remembered under the name of George Badgoak who does not exist. Enclosed is a newspaper cutting on the person I am talking about. The trail on your research has many twists and turns but if you are in the right frame of mind and persevere you will come up trumps in the end

Cromwell,  Thankyou for that information, it maybe relevant as I remember in there living room there was a very large picture on the wall of a man in a red uniform, head and shoulders,it had a stiff colar around the neck and quite a lot of medals on the chest. The man had grey hair,and a very large moustache. I remember asking my mother once who it was and she said,"It's your Grandad".

Thankyou,  Have a nice day,   Wally.

P.S. I should have mentioned that he died a natural death at home and must have been in his eighties.

Wally, just with the info you have given me I know he was an old Soldier before the Great War and must have served as a reservist under the colours

I have since found out that my Grandmothers maiden name was Loveridge, and I'm told it is connected to Romany Gypsies and that she was 17 when she married Granpa. who was 32.

Have a nice day, Wally.

:angel: Wally could this be them ? I hope it is.‚.. O0

Births Jun 1874
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Loveridge.‚.. Drucilla.‚.. .‚.. .‚..Warwick.‚.. 6d 599

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Dec 1892
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LEE.‚.. George.‚.. .‚.. Warwick.‚.. 6d 1060.‚.. .‚..
LOVERIDGE.‚.. Drucalla.‚.. .‚.. .‚..Warwick.‚.. 6d 1060

Pom, That definetly looks like her, the date would make her 18 when she married, I have no way
of knowing for sure but she did marry Geo. Lee. so thats a big positive. I will talk to my sister in England to see if it jogs her memory.

Pom, I really appreciate the effort you have put into this, Thankyou so much. :-* :-* :-*

Have a nice day  Wally.

PS. Is it Drucilla or Drucalla, you spelt it both ways ???

:angel: Wally I spelled 'Drucilla /Drucalla' The exact way they had been transcribed on the sites I got them from.
However you will find most names at that time were spelled the way they sounded to the person who was making the record. Also some transcribing errors occur because transcribers can not read the old fashioned writing clearly.
Most people who are researching their families soon realize after a while that they have to check all variants of first and last names, because of the reasons given above.

One way of finding the right name is to you get your mother's birth certificate, or one of her other siblings, as they will have their mother's name on. You do have to have a definite birth date.‚.. and reference number to do this though.‚.. (cost is 7 English pounds)

However on saying that In your post you have 11 Dec 1905 as your Mother's birthday ...
But the only Jessie May Lee to come up on both Ancestry.com and FreeBMD for 1905 was this one:.‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚..
Mar 1905

Name.‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. .‚.. Location.‚.. Vol.‚.. Page
Lee.‚.. Jessie May.‚.. .‚.. .‚..Solihull.‚.. 6d.‚.. .‚..635

There were lots of Jessie Lee's born around 1904/ 1905.‚.. and 1906, but the one above was the only Jessie May and the location fitted the bill.

I hope this is not all too confusing for you.

I have found when researching family we can not always rely on what we were told, or what we may think we remember. We have to start with a blank page and maybe a name or two, we often have to look outside 'the square'..‚.. (I only had a surname my Granddad to start with and no other name, not even his first name just like you. I now have a tree dating back to the early 1700's for him).

By the way Wally I like doing look ups for people, it can be a real challenge and others have helped me in the same way in the past..‚..

Good Luck with your search.

Hi Wally, have read this post with interest. My great grandmother was Winifred Lee, born in Birmingham in 1893. There’s no official record of her birth apart from a catholic baptism for St Chads Cathedral in November 1893. I hope to find an official record soon hopefully

There are 2 registrations for a Winifred Lee in Birmingham in 1893, both Jun qtr.

One was the daughter of Charles Hubert Lee & Amy Bindley and the other was the daughter of Charles Lee & Mary Smith.

There are 2 registrations for a Winifred Lee in Birmingham in 1893, both Jun qtr.

One was the daughter of Charles Hubert Lee & Amy Bindley and the other was the daughter of Charles Lee & Mary Smith.
According to her baptism certificate she was born on the 25th October 1893, parents listed were Gulielmi (William) Lee and Mariae Annae (Mary Ann) McCann X

Was she born here? Was Mary McCann Irish and, if so, did she go home to give birth? In that case the birth would not be registered here.
No idea but the sort of question I would ask myself.

Back