• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lee longlands carpets ;

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI Guys;
yesterday whilst out on my travels and driving along i seen an old lorry of lee longlands carpets ;
which used to be on broad street ; and i thought to myself they went out of bussiness but the lory looked in good condition;
and that prompted my mind about old broad street and i thought where are they now then ; if they never went out of bussiness ;
so i thought to asked the forum members ;do you recall them and there funny curved windows they had on broad stret way back in time
and are they still trading any where now ; ? .
best wishes astonian ;

Although it is now a much smaller shop than it used to be, Lee Longlands is still in the same building in Broad Street. The section that bordered Granville Street was sold off a few years ago and is now the site of a Travel Lodge.
I think that the branch in Leamington is still there as well as I've seen adverts for it.

Hi guys.
Many thanks for your reply to my queerie i had thought for years that they went under the redel; sheme of broad street
was they was a high class furtiture fitting store ;
once again guys thanks have a nice day ; astonian;;

Hi

with regards to the Lee Longlands Flag ship store in Birmingham Broad Street I just wanted to confirm that the store is still open and has been for 110 years!
The store itself has expanded and is now over 4 floors check out the website for more info www.leelonglands.co.uk

thanks

And the store still flourishes in Leamington though on a different site than before.

Bernie

Lee Longlands were a customer of Kosset Carpets, when I worked in their office in Queen's College Chambers, Paradise Street in the early 1960's. Kosset farmed out
sample books to all leading furniture stores around Brum and customers could order from the books. Lee Longlands often had promotions for Kosset Carpets with their new broadloom lines and the famous white Persian Cat they used in their advertising. One of my tasks at Kosset was to send the customer's measurements to the mill in Brighouse, Yorkshire via teleprinter and then the mill would ship the carpets to their customers via British Rail. It was a nerve wracking job at times because there was no way you could make an error with the measurements of the carpets as these were fitted carpets! I always look into Lee Longlands when I visit and I am glad that they are still in business in Birmingham and in Leamington.

pp.jpeg
This is how the store looked in 1955. I have read that Lee Longlands used to be opposite the Hall of Memory until 1931 when they moved to the site in this photo.

Here is a picture of the old shop, taken in 1930 , just before the move

Lee_Longlands_shop_1930_just_before_move.jpg

Attachments

• lee longlands 1955.jpg
    lee longlands 1955.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 16
  • lee longlands broad st.jpg
    lee longlands broad st.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Lee Longlands first mechanically powered vehicle.jpg
    Lee Longlands first mechanically powered vehicle.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 14