• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lee Crowder, solicitors

senoraruz

master brummie
Does anyone know who the Crowder was.
My g grandmother was a Crowder & I´m trying to see if there is a link, although I am aware that there were at least 2 unrelated Crowder families in Brum in the mid-late 1800s

Nobody any ideas???
Oh well.Back to the drawing board.

Cannot find a Lee Crowder , solicitors in directories of this period (taking a selection from 1849-1895. However there was a Charles F.Crowder (firm Milward & Co) at 41 Waterloo St in 1895

Here is a link to some information about Lee Crowder Solicitors, also Birmingham Archives may have more history of this long established firm in their names indexes.

Established from around 1760 this firm of solicitors were influential judging by the amount of papers lodged at Birmingham Archives and would proberably have been reasonably well off financially so you could look at Wills as this may give you more family details and their relationships to Lee Crowder to see if it fits in with your family history.

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/the-generation-game-0

Louisa

The Charles Crowder mentioned in post 2 was born in Clifton,Gloucestershire.
In 1901,aged 41, he was living at 2 Norfolk Rd,Edgbaston with wife Theodora (nee Milward aged 37) and daughters Mary Isabel Priscott Crowder aged 6, Catherine D'arcy Crowder aged 4,Jane Henrietta Crowder aged 3 and Grace Pullyn Crowder aged 1. They had 4 live-in staff.
By 1911 the family had grown and moved to 40 Melville Rd Edgbaston.In addition to the above there was John Fairfax Crowder (1903) and Beatrice Spencer Crowder (1904).
The "Lee" could have been Thomas Grosvenor Lee born in London 1848.
His father was also a solicitor.The family lived at Redcliffe House,Kinver.
Thomas Grosvenor Lee married Winifred Notcutt in Ipswich 1875 and by 1891 was living at 38, Westfield Road, Edgbaston, with his family before moving to Clent House,Clent by 1911.

I've read the link and it seems to say that the Crowder family owned the business Smythe Etches & Co going back three generations from John Crowder in 1936. The name Lee Crowder & co was adopted in 1936 and Lee Crowder in 1989.

I don't know if this helps but in June 1894 there is a birth announcement in the Birmingham Daily Post:
CROWDER - on the 7th St Apesdale, near Bromsgrove the wife of Charles Fairfax Crowder, solicitor 41 Waterloo St, Birmingham, of a daughter

I have found adverts from 1890 for Messrs Bloxham, Smythe & Etches 6 Bennetts Hill
Then in 1900 the address changes to Edmund St
and later in 1900 the name changes to Smythe, Etches & Jackson, Edmund St

Thank you all for that.
unfortunately Charles faifax Crowder is not in my family.........or if he is, he kept very quiet about it.
At least I can cross him off now.
Thank you

And just as a postscript, Birmingham Archives have a vast collection of Lee Crowder archives.

Maurice

Back