• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Learning to ride a bike

I would not feel safe in that thing in any weather.:worried::worried:
HaHaHa You got that right Reminds me of the "Cape Up lads" on club rides with the oilskin capes we used then at least they had hooks inside to hold the cape down with,45287263_1557843264315704_750414615782883328_o (1).jpg but could be a real problem when windy

My younger cousin had a yellow and red Mobo bike fitted with outriders which we both enjoyed whizzing around on. One day I arrived to find the outriders gone and my cousin riding two wheeled! This was very bad,not only could I not ride a two wheeler,my cousin was younger than me and worst of all a GIRL.
I spent all that day learning to ride and despite much bruising,cuts and scratches I managed to crack it.
From then the only bike I could use was my Dad's sit up and beg. This was far too large for me so I learned to ride with one leg through the frame. We had a fairly large garden and I became quit adept riding in this manner but I was not allowed to ride on the highway. Over the years I borrowed or cobbled together many bikes but it was not until I became a printers apprentice that I bought a brand new 10 gear dropped handlebar racing machine. It didn't last long. Riding up and down the moat at Hobs Moat was no place for a racing bike and so it morphed into another wreck.
I belive the no cycling ban is now enforced at Hobs Moat.However in the dim and distant past cycling was not allowed but the ban was ignored by many and we spent many a happy hour there. The no cycling sign,stuck on a tree;once rescued made an excellent launch pad for some of the tracks and slopes.It still amazes me that no one was seriously injured given the hazards we had to negotiate.

Happy days
NoddKD

Did anyone ride a bike with a fixed gear? My mate had one & it nearly killed me. Try to stop pedaling & the pedals would give you an almighty clout. Horrible type of bike. My own bike was a bitzer. Bits of this & that, sometimes cowhorn handlebars, sometimes straight or dropped. It had old fashioned Sturmey Archer gears ( stop pedaling to change gear or was it pedal backwards?) Weighed a ton!!

Did anyone ride a bike with a fixed gear? My mate had one & it nearly killed me. Try to stop pedaling & the pedals would give you an almighty clout. Horrible type of bike. My own bike was a bitzer. Bits of this & that, sometimes cowhorn handlebars, sometimes straight or dropped. It had old fashioned Sturmey Archer gears ( stop pedaling to change gear or was it pedal backwards?) Weighed a ton!!
yes smudge they was evil. i got most of my bikes from the tips, garrison lane and clay lane.there was a front Dynamo on one and i put loads of lamps front and rear. :) posing.

Once rode one from New Oscott to Clee, up Clee standing on the pedals, but Mucklows beat me on the way home and I don't think my legs and thighs have been the same since. My friend who rode with me had a Vechietti with a Campagnola gear system that just seemed to be gearwheels on the axle with a small pulley and the wheel position moved when he changed gear, it was supposed to be the latest thing but he struggled with it. My fixed was 12/44 ratio a killer, but coming down Clee was fun, I overtook a bus.

Bob

Last edited:
Fixed gear was all we rode in the 1940s 1950s Gears just getting popular Simplex Cyclo nad expensive Campagnolo This is me on a fixed gear racing in 1950 winning a 10 mile time trial near Brum You stopped a bike like this by appying pressure back on pedals and using the only front brake Real easy once you get used to it001.jpg

Fixed gear was all we rode in the 1940s 1950s Gears just getting popular Simplex Cyclo nad expensive Campagnolo This is me on a fixed gear racing in 1950 winning a 10 mile time trial near Brum You stopped a bike like this by appying pressure back on pedals and using the only front brake Real easy once you get used to itView attachment 142529
That looks like a 12/44

Bob

Fixed gear was all we rode in the 1940s 1950s Gears just getting popular Simplex Cyclo nad expensive Campagnolo This is me on a fixed gear racing in 1950 winning a 10 mile time trial near Brum You stopped a bike like this by appying pressure back on pedals and using the only front brake Real easy once you get used to itView attachment 142529
John, No mudguards, must have been great fun in the rain! If you had removed the bike pump you would have shaved at least a tenth of a second off your 10 mile time. ;)

[/QUOTE
South of France Handle Bars? What make of bike was it? Good action photo, you are obviously pushing it there and as Smudger says..why the pump? Mind you ever since I saw the picture, I can feel the pain in my calves and thighs. Since my hip went, have had to give the bike up, but at least I am on the list now, only 12 months long! Presumably, all jesting aside, you do not do your daily mileage in the snow, because remember what happened at the Donner Pass.

Bob

Back