• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

learning to drive

bilsat

master brummie
When dad worked at Cadbury's he bought an old Ford "Sit up and beg" for £5-00, this had been passed around the workers who always bought and sold it for £5-00 and each persons son used to learn to drive in it.
It was a pig to start in the winter due to the 6 volt system and luckily we lived at the top of a hill so it could be rolled down the hill to start it!
I enjoyed learning in it and we kept it for about two years and in the end went back to Cadbury's, and no I didn't take my driving test!!
Does anyone remember such a vehicle?

I think it was the E93A, i had one towards the end of the 1960s, had some great fun in that motor, there was loads of room inside. I used to get stopped by the police when out of a night, "Your headlights don't work son", "They're 6v officer", "Oh -- right, then you can go" bloomin things was useless in the dark but i have to say apart from that and being a pig to start when it was cold i clocked up a lot of miles in that motor without any other problems.

bren

I can remember my dads Ford reg;BPX 467 in the winter he used to have to start it up with a handle,forgot to mention it was about 1956-7:DMossy

Ihad a 1954 Ford "pop" for three years, it was two year old when I bought it. sidevalve engine, 3 speed box,and air operated wipers that would stop when going up hill unless you took your foot off the accelerator for a moment, and 6 volt electics, but a very reliable car,heres a photo of it
with my dads van.
th_EzImg005.jpg

Michael had a sit up and beg Ford Pop when he first passed his test. He took his driving test three weeks after his 17th birthday in a 15cwt Bedford Van used for traffic signal maintainence. There was no passenger seat, so the examiner had to sit on a box!:shocked: My how things have changed.

Back