• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Learning From The Phyllis Nicklin Collection

Heartland

master brummie
The images taken by Phyllis show many aspects of Birmingham Industry and Canals that have now disappeared. The captioning in the recent survey showing her pictures and the modern views is however much to be desired.

I attach one image from her collection which is captioned the Digbeth Branch. Her view point would have been to climb up on to the railway tracks. There was a gate (in a wall) in those days and steps up. When I worked at Curzon Street for BR, I had to use them to get to the meters to check readings.

The view is taken over the roof of the Proof House and is looking towards the junction with the Grand Union (Warwick & Birmingham Canal) and the BCN Digbeth Branch. In this view the former Pickfords wharf building and the art deco Fellows, Morton & Clayton building are seen as are the other GU canalside buildings looking towards the disused Birmingham & Oxford Junction Railway viaduct and the salvage depot (left).

I would like to attach said image, but the site appears to have changed, in a backwards direction that is, it is not clear how to attach an image anymore, and I DO NO USE URL.

That's strange. how do you mean?. Has the button "upload a file" disappeared on your screen?

I still have the button. not sure why you do not. Perhaps those more computer savvy than me can give a possible explanation. Looked on your website and it is a good photo

I haven't got the "upload" button on this thread but have on others. Is it anything to do with the Phyllis Nicklin thread being Mod. only?

there are definately certain sections about phyllis that only myself and viv can add to because they are purely for posting updated information on but i cant understand why it seems that only moderators have access to the upload button on this thread as it was started by a member and if i remember correctly this is not the first time some members have experienced permission problems...just to confirm i have access to the upload button..i have a feeling that when the forum was down for a couple of weeks last year it knocked some settings out but not sure if this was rectified...maybe warren would know and advise us..

lyn

Last edited:
I have just checked and all the threads in the Phyllis Nicklin Archive that I have tried do not allow me to upload a file. Although I can paste in hyperlinks.

Back