• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Leamington Road SPARKBROOK

Frederick, I only remember Larry by name but, he did have brothers. I went to Clifton Road School when I lived there but, left Leamington Road when I was due to go to senior school.

Hi Banjo,
I started at Clifton rd in 1948 aged 5 so I must be around the same age as you, in 1954 I was 11and then went to Dennis rd school.

You are two years older than me Fredrick.I suppose that is why we were not friends in 1954-5.
I was living with Jack & Marie Bradbury at No 69 during that time. I remember being in Mr White's class at Clifton road School.

Banjo,
I have a photo with Dennis Hobday on it, if I remember he did have other siblins as most families did. I have got it now which house you lived in it was one of those big three story houses, and to people that sold shoes from their house was the Shepard's I have a photo of them and their family which I will email to you. You would have known the Sheldon family as they had kids of all ages.

Would love to see photos & maps but, I can't open anything! The maps are php attachments (1x1) and the page is blank! How do other people get to see these things I wonder.

Banjo,
I've been told that when the forum was hacked it lost all the photos and if you try to put the photos back on the forum won't let you.

Hello again Frederick. Yes, I'm finding it quite frustrating. Perhaps I can get some info at the meeting on Saturday.

Athough you cannot access the old photos, the forum has a residual memory of their presence and name, and will not let you repost them, as it thinks theya re already on the site. If you rename them then they should be accepted.

It's a regular meeting of some of the members. This time it's in the Jewellery Quarter,Birmingham this coming Saturday.

Banjo,
I live to far away to attend, It sounds like you live close to the Birmingham area so you will know what has been done to were we grew up and how it has turned out.

Could I make the point that some of the latest posts look as if they would be better if carried out by private messages between the parties.

Hi fred,
would that be Dennis Hodby and his brother john.Father being Fredrick, my mother married Dennis her name being Else Cleal of Stoney lane.
Do you recall on Stoney lane a second hand tv shop run by a frank rose. We lived at 46 Stoney Lane.
I used to knockabout with Douggie orde. Bye for now Ploody [Ken Cleal]

ploody,
I do remember the TV shop on Stoney lane and Douggie Orde now lives in Sheldon very close to his sister Sheila. is Dennis Hobdy still with us if so say hello from me I do have a photo of him taken at a wedding.

It looks like we are being told off, and I thought this was Birmingham history.

would love to see photo mybe I would know who is on it can not see other photos on this site so mybe you could sent it in a e-mail

Hello Rob, my husband showed me the comments about Leamington Road on here and although your post was a little while ago, l couldn't read it without saying 'hello'. l remember your Grandparents, your Mum, your sister Cathy and l'm sure l remember you being born! l also remember the shop, but sadly, have no photographs. l do have a photograph of Cathy and me together on Coronation Day and a photograph of the Street party. My family lived across the road, on the bomb site. My parents were Tom and Celia Betts, my older sister is Avril and l'm Lynn. We left in about 1954. Hope life has treated you all well, with best wishes Lynn

Hello Frederick, I was just about 4 years old when we left. I'm sure our address was 2/2 Leamington Road. The house wasn't actually on the street, but along one of the short 'gullies', to the left as you walked from Ladypool Road, it fronted onto the bomb site, small garden at the front and a yard at the back. Long time ago now! Lynn

Hi Lynn,
From what you say about where you lived, did your house face Stoney lane and we would have our bonfire on that bomb site every year. As there were no bomb sites on the left coming from Ladypool rd but there were two on the left coming from Stoney lane.

Frederick, you're absolutely right! It was on the right coming from Ladypool Road. If l remember correctly, we lived between the Davis' and the Rickards.

I realize this is an old topic so may not be active. I am a grandson of Alf and Emily (Molly) Hastings. They had the shop at 64 Leamington Road. My parents, Bernard Hastings and Dorothy Hastings (nee Davis) lived in #66 where I was born in 1956. We left in 1963, my aunt and uncle (Joan Davis nee Hastings and Dan Davis) lived in #68. Prior to Joan and Dan, Barbara Parry nee Hastings and Bob Parry lived in #68 with their children Cathy and Rob. I'll post a picture of my grandparents standing outside the shop and will try to find other photos of Leamington Rd.

I left in Birmingham in '63 and moved to the USA in '78. I did once go back to Leamington Rd. It ran from Stoney Lane through to Ladypool Road and, after the Mandela school was built, a small 'stub' of the road still remains to this day. The Building that housed "Lunn's" (the pork butcher) is still there with the Leamington Road sign still on the wall.

Attachments

• Hastings_Shop.jpeg
    Hastings_Shop.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I realize this is an old topic so may not be active. I am a grandson of Alf and Emily (Molly) Hastings. They had the shop at 64 Leamington Road. My parents, Bernard Hastings and Dorothy Hastings (nee Davis) lived in #66 where I was born in 1956. We left in 1963, my aunt an uncle (Joan Davis nee Hastings and Dan Davis) lived in #68. Prior to Joan and Dan, Barbara Parry nee Hastings and Bob Parry lived in #68 with their children Cathy and Rob. I'll post a picture of my grandparents standing outside the shop and will try to find other photos of Leamington Rd.

I left in Birmingham in '63 and moved to the USA in '78. I did once go back to Leamington Rd. It ran from Stoney Lane through to Ladypool Road and, after the Mandela school was built, a small 'stub' of the road still remains to this day. The Building that housed "Lunn's" (the pork butcher) is still there with the Leamington Road sign still on the wall.
When I was 9yrs old in 1955-56, I lived at No 69 Leamington Road with Jack & Marie Bradbury. I remember going to that shop after the baker's van had delivered the unwrapped bread in a crate. Used to lick my finger and lift the crumbs from the wooden counter. Also bought my Palm toffee bars from there. The only people I remember now was my mate Larry Hobday who lived somewhere around No 65. Great childhood memories of that time. I'm always interested in any photos of Leamington Road.

Back