• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Leamington Road SPARKBROOK

Hi BernardR , thanks. I am wondering if I can contact the person who posted the image of the 'Hastings shop' in Leamington Rd directly by email as it would be very special for me due to reasons outlined above. Can you advise if this is possible. I am new to this forum business and not sure of the etiquette! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Colin,

Nice idea about reposting. Do you know Frederick? Is it possible for me to contact him directly? Is he the kind of guy that would mind?

Rob

My grandparents Alf and Molly Hastings ran the shop at 66/68 Leamington Rd. If anyone out there has memories of the shop I would love to hear from them.
My mom and dad, Bob and Barbara Parry, lived next door to the shop during the late 40's and early 50's, my sister Cath and I both lived our early years there and I have strong memories of the shop.
Now live a long way from Brum, in north Wales and my mom is still alive (87) and her sister Joan also. Still support the Blues!

Rob

Hi Tanysgafell,
I also now live in Wales, Pembrokeshire been down here for 30 years wonderful.

I have very fond memories of growing up in Laemington rd and being in your grandparents shop all the time. I have just resently got intouch with my cousins that used to live in Grafton Grove after well over 40 years as the familes were all moved out to differant parts due to the redevelopment, you may know some of them Pat Sheldon, Sheila orde, rose Sheldon and there is Graham Webb Tony Reed Hazel Reed.

How long have you been living in North Wales and what made you move there, it was business for me.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi tanysgafell, Are you sure the shop was 66/68? I lived at 69 Leamington Rd 1954-56 and the three houses at least either side were three story victorian houses. I perhaps lived there after you but, I remember a shop on each corner with Stoney Lane, I think the one may have been a cobblers and the other an Outdoor? Further up on the right(looking from Stoney Lane) was a grocery shop which was next to a wide entry. The only other shops I remember were up by Ladypool Rd. One of the corner shops was a butchers. Do you remember a lady selling shoes from her front room? that house was about 59 or 61 (ish).

Banjo,
You are right the shop was number 64 and 66 is where Tany lived the other side of Grafton Grove. I lived at 58 so you must have lived oppersite me, you must have known the Shepard's as they were oppersite where I lived as you lived there the same time as me I must know you, you will know the wards Terry and Geoff and also a lot more.

I have one or two photos of people from Leamington rd but I am on holiday and away from my desk top with all my photos but can upload them when I am back.

Hi Frederick, I was 9-10 yrs old when I lived there and I can't remember all the kids who lived in Leamington Rd. I had a friend opposite (further towards Stoney Lane) and remember watching Billy Bunter every week on his T.V (we didn't have one) but, the only names I can remember were my friends Larry Hobday at No65? and David Jones at 55. I can remember all the kids putting on a "show" once in the entry next to the shop. There were two rows of houses at the rear of this entry, was this Grafton Grove and was the shop "Hastings"? As Leamington Rd no longer exists,it would be wonderful to see any photos of it.

Hi Banjo,
The shop was call Hastings,would Dennis Hobday be the older brother and if you can remember his mother had a guytor on her throte.

I think I have a photo with your house in the back ground, but you will have to wait for me to get back home for that.

My cousin Graham Webb has a very good memory he may remember the names you have mentioned.

Did you go to school while living on Leamington rd and if so which ones.

Frederick, I only remember Larry by name but, he did have brothers. I went to Clifton Road School when I lived there but, left Leamington Road when I was due to go to senior school.

Hi Banjo,
I started at Clifton rd in 1948 aged 5 so I must be around the same age as you, in 1954 I was 11and then went to Dennis rd school.

You are two years older than me Fredrick.I suppose that is why we were not friends in 1954-5.
I was living with Jack & Marie Bradbury at No 69 during that time. I remember being in Mr White's class at Clifton road School.

Banjo,
I have a photo with Dennis Hobday on it, if I remember he did have other siblins as most families did. I have got it now which house you lived in it was one of those big three story houses, and to people that sold shoes from their house was the Shepard's I have a photo of them and their family which I will email to you. You would have known the Sheldon family as they had kids of all ages.

Would love to see photos & maps but, I can't open anything! The maps are php attachments (1x1) and the page is blank! How do other people get to see these things I wonder.

Banjo,
I've been told that when the forum was hacked it lost all the photos and if you try to put the photos back on the forum won't let you.

Hello again Frederick. Yes, I'm finding it quite frustrating. Perhaps I can get some info at the meeting on Saturday.

Athough you cannot access the old photos, the forum has a residual memory of their presence and name, and will not let you repost them, as it thinks theya re already on the site. If you rename them then they should be accepted.

Back