• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Leamington Road SPARKBROOK

Keith,

Thanks for that. I hope that there are others from this area that will make it worth while you starting a new thread.

Graham.

Where exactly is/was Leamington Road - difficult to tell from this map and does not come up on a Google map search.

According to the 1901 Census it is in Balsall Heath

A branch of my family shows as living in 1 Patshull Place Leamington Road

I should imagine this was a yard or an alley off Leamington Road.

When I lived in the midlands I witnessed huge clearance of old Birmingham - some of it justified - some of it criminal.

At one time travelling down the Hagley Road was impressive - now more of a shambles

brjobu

Leamington Rd was off Ladypool Rd Sparkbrook/ Balsall Heath it ran from Ladypool Rd to Stoney Lane. Its is on this map in between Colville Rd and Bruswick Rd.

The road is gone now and covered by the Nelson Mandela Primary School, as to the location of Patshull Place it would have been a court off Leamington Rd. I know that there are a couple or more of ex residents of Leamington Rd that are members of this site, perhaps they can be of more help to you than I on this matter.

Phil

Attachments

• Street Plan Balsall Heath map.jpg
    Street Plan Balsall Heath map.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 24
Brjobu,
i am one of the members that lived in Leamington rd i don't remember that name there were 5 avenue's off Leamington rd the one i do remember is Grafton Grove a photo of Hastings the shop on the corner of Grafton Grove, Cadeau mite be able to remember.

Have just realised that graham confirmed in that post that Patshull grove was the terrace marked in blue in the map below
mike

Frederick
Can't find any names for them in the information i had. they probably had names when built, but later (in 1930 etc) they are just described as "back 43", "back 61" and "back73"
mike

i lived were the green line is No58 the yellow patches were bombed buildings were we had our bonfires.

I have recently tracked relatives to 36 leamington road. If anyone has any pictures, information, memories etc I would be extremely grateful. Alice (nee Arnold) and John Andrews and apparently Ernest Arnold, Alice's brother. they seemed to have been there at least from 1930-1950's.

regards

cathy

Hi
what is the name of the guy standing in front of the car OOJ87, I am sure I was at school with him at the time Cadeau was there as well.
Cheers
Dave Rock

Hi Dave,
The one standing in front of the car is Tony Reed and one of him fishing with Graham, and did you know Alan Blackburn and also one of Graham dressed for the coronation.

Hi
I remember Tony but not Alan, are you Grahams cousin?
Do you remember Mick Holmes who was Grahams mate who drowned at Stratford in the early 50s.
I am married to a cousin of Jeanette Dutton who lived in Brunswick Road did you know her.
Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave,
Another one above Terry Ward the one on the right he was another one of our play mates from Leamington rd

Hi,
I am Grahams cousin we were more like brothers than cousins and Mick Holmes i remember his tragic death he fell into a canal and got stuck under a barge he lived with his brothers in colville rd, and i must have know Jeanette Dutton we all new each other around there.

Hi Frederick,
just seen this post about Leamington Rd. I would love to be able to see the photo of Hastings shop as it was my Grandparents' shop, Alf and Molly Hastings. Was born at 66 or 68 Leamington Rd and lived there until 1955. I cannot get access to the 'attached thumbnails' for some reason. Any ideas? Would be happy to send you my email address if that was an alternative way for me to see the image. Cheers, Rob Parry

Please read the notice at top of page regarding lost photographs.

Hi BernardR , thanks. I am wondering if I can contact the person who posted the image of the 'Hastings shop' in Leamington Rd directly by email as it would be very special for me due to reasons outlined above. Can you advise if this is possible. I am new to this forum business and not sure of the etiquette! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Colin,

Nice idea about reposting. Do you know Frederick? Is it possible for me to contact him directly? Is he the kind of guy that would mind?

Rob

My grandparents Alf and Molly Hastings ran the shop at 66/68 Leamington Rd. If anyone out there has memories of the shop I would love to hear from them.
My mom and dad, Bob and Barbara Parry, lived next door to the shop during the late 40's and early 50's, my sister Cath and I both lived our early years there and I have strong memories of the shop.
Now live a long way from Brum, in north Wales and my mom is still alive (87) and her sister Joan also. Still support the Blues!

Rob

Hi Tanysgafell,
I also now live in Wales, Pembrokeshire been down here for 30 years wonderful.

I have very fond memories of growing up in Laemington rd and being in your grandparents shop all the time. I have just resently got intouch with my cousins that used to live in Grafton Grove after well over 40 years as the familes were all moved out to differant parts due to the redevelopment, you may know some of them Pat Sheldon, Sheila orde, rose Sheldon and there is Graham Webb Tony Reed Hazel Reed.

How long have you been living in North Wales and what made you move there, it was business for me.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi tanysgafell, Are you sure the shop was 66/68? I lived at 69 Leamington Rd 1954-56 and the three houses at least either side were three story victorian houses. I perhaps lived there after you but, I remember a shop on each corner with Stoney Lane, I think the one may have been a cobblers and the other an Outdoor? Further up on the right(looking from Stoney Lane) was a grocery shop which was next to a wide entry. The only other shops I remember were up by Ladypool Rd. One of the corner shops was a butchers. Do you remember a lady selling shoes from her front room? that house was about 59 or 61 (ish).

Banjo,
You are right the shop was number 64 and 66 is where Tany lived the other side of Grafton Grove. I lived at 58 so you must have lived oppersite me, you must have known the Shepard's as they were oppersite where I lived as you lived there the same time as me I must know you, you will know the wards Terry and Geoff and also a lot more.

I have one or two photos of people from Leamington rd but I am on holiday and away from my desk top with all my photos but can upload them when I am back.

Hi Frederick, I was 9-10 yrs old when I lived there and I can't remember all the kids who lived in Leamington Rd. I had a friend opposite (further towards Stoney Lane) and remember watching Billy Bunter every week on his T.V (we didn't have one) but, the only names I can remember were my friends Larry Hobday at No65? and David Jones at 55. I can remember all the kids putting on a "show" once in the entry next to the shop. There were two rows of houses at the rear of this entry, was this Grafton Grove and was the shop "Hastings"? As Leamington Rd no longer exists,it would be wonderful to see any photos of it.

Hi Banjo,
The shop was call Hastings,would Dennis Hobday be the older brother and if you can remember his mother had a guytor on her throte.

I think I have a photo with your house in the back ground, but you will have to wait for me to get back home for that.

My cousin Graham Webb has a very good memory he may remember the names you have mentioned.

Did you go to school while living on Leamington rd and if so which ones.

Back