• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Leake, Shaw,Canham family

T

tippynut

Hi, I have been trying to fill in my family tree. Ihavent had much luck apart from bits of information on my great uncle Alec Leake who was easier to track down as he played for aston villa. (although i have gained some information i would like to try and track his direct line to present day )I would like any information relating to the Leake family, last address of my grandmother May Leake was 385? stockfield rd Yardley. Her maiden name was Shaw and her sister harriet married a cambridge man; Charles Foster Canham and they lived at Spon Lane West Bromwich for a while before my grandmother left him to be a housekeeper in daventry area.
A big task i know, but after so many years with little to go on i'm hoping someone out there will have some information.
Thanks for reading.:)

tippynut, As you may remember from an earlier post (Sept 27 2006) your Uncle and mine 'Happy' Harry Hampton played in the same VILLA team in and around 1905:
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2440&d=1171487390

If you also managed to get both his birth cert' and his marriage cert from this post :
Birth index
Alexander Leake 1871 Aston July Quarter V 6d p 257
Marriage Index
Alexander Leake and Ellen Christiana Bird 1897 Aston April quarter V 6d p 779
You will now have Alex's parents names, if you can post them we should then be able to find him and any siblings and maybe more reallies for you on other Census' , the LDS site, and Ancestry.com.
This looks like it may be Alex in 1891 Census:

Piece: RG12/2455 Place: Coventry -Warwickshire Enumeration District: 18
Civil Parish: Holy Trinity Ecclesiastical Parish: All Saints
Folio: 41 Page: 24 Schedule: 151
Address: 7 Read St
Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
TYE Sophia Head W F 51 Dressmaker (Em'ee) Warwickshire - Long Itchington
DORRELL William Boardr S M 18 Cycle Machinist (Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham
LEAKE Alexander Boardr S M 19 Cycle Machinist (Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham

Hope this helps :cool:

Pom :angel:

Hi,
My name is Alex Leake, my great grandfather was Alex (Alec) Leake, alot to tell, but I have all his medals that remained after Barclays Bank Sheldon was demolished and rebuilt. Please advise.
Alex

Hi,
My name is Alex Leake, my great grandfather was Alex (Alec) Leake, alot to tell, but I have all his medals that remained after Barclays Bank Sheldon was demolished and rebuilt. Please advise.
Alex
Hi Alex
My grandfather was Noah Shaw I only meet your ggf once and that was when my father his nephew took me to see him at the Swan Yardley to see his FA cup medal I do hope you still have it
Keith

Hi Alex
My grandfather was Noah Shaw I only meet your ggf once and that was when my father his nephew took me to see him at the Swan Yardley to see his FA cup medal I do hope you still have it
Keith

Keith,
Yes I still have it, it is amongst some 23 gold medals and a silver watch presented to him by Small Heath (Birmingham City) for his services as captain. There were originally some 250 medals recorded as being in the vaults at the bank. They forgot to empty them when the demolision took place, the 23 medals were recovered by an icecream vendor who had pitched on the land prior to the rebuild when the kids dug them up they tried to exchange them for a cornet! Also had the 5 England caps but my dad took them back to South America, but despite keeping them in air tight containers they perished with the humidity.
Regards
Alex

HI, looks like we are related. I was taken to Jackfield, Ironbridge as a child by my parents to visit Noah and at that stage he was living with his housekeeper in a lovely little cottage beside the river Severn. We went back one more time for his funeral. I am not sure if this is your grandfather as in my tree there are 2 Noah Shaws. My Grandmother was Harriett Shaw who married Charles Canham. My Mother was Dorothy Ena Canham their daughter.

Hello
Yes that was my Grand Dad he was a bit of a character he trained as a joiner then went on to be a on coarse bookmaker and owned a chip shop in Anderton Rd Small Heath. If you have researched the Shaw family i would be grateful for any info
Thanks Keith

Hi yes, not sure if my last post went so sending again. have found most my info from the censuses.
Both my grandmothers were sisters making my parents cousins.

NOah was brother to May Shaw b 1880 Crick station, Harriett Shaw b1870 Welton ( my grandmothers) Their father was Noah Shaw and mother Abigail Benjamin. There was a daughter listed with the name Emma Lilian Benjamin, i am presuming Abigails daughter and not Noahs. Siblings are- mark shaw b 1878 Welton, Noah Shaw b1882 Crick Station, Suie Shaw b 1884 North Kilworth, Leicester. George T Shaw b1886 North Kilworth Leicester and Annie Shaw B 1876 Welton ( Annie doesnt show on other censuses so dont hink she lived long. All d.ob. i have worke dout from the ages given on the census returns so could be yr either way.

N

Thanks for the info
Keith
HI Keith, just found these old messages again . I have realised i don't have any descendants coming down from alex leake , just th ebirth of his sons. if you could fill in the gaps for me i would be very pleased. still struggling on with my tree
Lesley

You mention that you have a Charles Canham; my grandmother was a Cambridgeshire Canham. I have done lots of research on Canhams and have a couple of Charles's in my tree (not direct ancestors though).
Do you have a date of birth or time-frame for him? Even if he is not one of 'mine', I can probably find him for you :)

HI, My grandfather was Charles Foster canham. Not much found on him at all. can only find him in the 1911 census for some reason.
D.o.b 1860 ? and know from what my mother said he was from cambridge. i now have him down as Ely but not sure if thats a true bit of info i have picked up as in past have been some false trails.

Married Harriet Shaw 1893, Portwood, Cheshire. i know my mother said that Harriet (her mother) was in service somewhere so am guessing that is why she wa sin that area. Originally the shaws were from Daventry area, later moving to Birmingham. Harriet later took her children and moved back to northampton leaving Charles behind. My mother was very upset leaving her father behind and never was told why.
I have found a Charles Canham of the right age who died in 1928 in west Bromwich which is where the family was living before the split.
If you can shed any light on the canham side of the family i would be very grateful.

I'll have a look through my Canham research. It's interesting that you mention Ely, because it's close to Soham and other Canham haunts. There are hundreds of them round there, so it may take me a while to pin him down!

Last edited:
marriage-charles-canham-harriet-shaw-1893.jpg [Click on the image to enlarge it]

Hmm, can you tell me where you have seen his name as Charles Foster Canham? That middle name hasn't appeared on anything that I have seen; he's down as Charles F on the death index, but I'm wondering if the Foster was something he adopted later in life?

In case you don't have it, I have found the entry in the marriage register for Charles and Harriet; that gives me HIS father's name, which will hopefully help me track the family back.
If you think of any other information that might help in the chase, please let me know

I've spent some time this afternoon, trying to track down the man on the marriage certificate. I can only find one Charles, son of Charles, and he was born in 1852! Although he ties in with the marriage certificate, he doesn't tie in with the ages :(
I have looked for this boy dying and another one being born in 1859/60/61 and being named the same (a common thing to happen), but so far no luck ....

I have to say that based on the information you had (date of death, 1911 census), I had expected the marriage certificate to show that he was the 1859 Ely-born son of Richard Canham (b Soham), NOT son of another Charles! I'm not sure where we go from here!

It was something my mother told me. He went to enlist in the army and reverted to his middle name foster after being refused as too young. i am bit confused by this as what war would that be? i am now wondering if its my mothers brother charles she got confused with but his middle name seems to begin with E.
I havent got a copy of the marriage certificate i can only see the printed details and dont know his fathers name so that is progress. thanks for all your research

It was something my mother told me. He went to enlist in the army and reverted to his middle name foster after being refused as too young. i am bit confused by this as what war would that be? i am now wondering if its my mothers brother charles she got confused with but his middle name seems to begin with E.
I havent got a copy of the marriage certificate i can only see the printed details and dont know his fathers name so that is progress. thanks for all your research

i wondered if this could be a second marriage as he was 33. sadly i have no relatives to ask within the family as my mother had a rough time living with he r mother so left and never kept contact with any of the canham family.

Leslam/Tippynut

Playing around with childrens names have just found the following what are your thoughts.

1901 Montague road, Smethwick. (transcibed as Cotham but looking very like Canham and all info too much of a coincedence not to be them.)

HENRY ? Canham age 42 born Cambridge Bricklayers labourer
Harriet age 32 born Welton Northants
Charles age 7 b Stockport Cheshire
William 5 b Stockport
Harry age 3 b Birmingham
Lucy age 1 b birmingham

Except for the Henry matches 1911 exactly.

Cant believe you have found them. Had a gap tracing harriet in 1901. The dates all fit just very puzzled by head of house being Henry not Charles. I wonder if this is one of his middle name s he was using. or just took on another?
Can i ask what you use to search? i am mainly using ancestry .com. which started well but lot of dead ends once gone through censuses. Thanks so much for all your help

For LEAKE family members.

I am an Australian author seeking information on Lt Harry Taylor MC MM who flew with the Australian Flying Corps during WW1. Harry was from Birmingham and gave his next of kin as MRS R. LEAKE of 56 SANDY LANE, ASTON, BIRMINGHAM.
Harry was a single man who enlisted in the AIF in Sydney, Australia and was unfortunately killed in a flying accident 18 AUG 1918 and is buried in Lodge Hill cemetery.

I am seeking any information regarding Harry that may have been passed on to the family by his NOK. I have attached a copy of his citation for the Military Cross.

Thank you - John Quaife

Attachments

• Citation.pdf
    800.4 KB · Views: 6
Lyn - his DOB appears to have been 19 May 1888, Birmingham.

He was killed in an aircraft accident in the UK whilst flying with No 8 Training Squadron AFC.

The accident site is variously listed as Tetbury, Shipton Moyne or Leighterton (all in reasonably close proximity)

The date of the accident 18 August 1918.

JQ

Think I've got them.

On the 1921 census an Arthur and Rhoda (listed as Rose) Leake are living at 36 Sandy Lane. Arthur was Rhoda's third husband (1914), she was previously married to a James John Walsgrove (1897) and an Alfred Hollingsworth (no reg. ?)

She was b1878, the daughter of Charles Taylor and Sarah Ann Brookes. Harry was registered Sep qtr 1889 Bham as Henry. In 1911 he is living with Rhoda and her second husband. He appears to have had at least 4 other sister and 2 brothers.

Last edited:
I assume you have seen the Lodge Hill entries?

It is actually 56 Sandy Lane
1922 eroll
1678973659025.png
I do think her birth was registered as Rhoda not Rose

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Thanks. I searched 56 on the 1921 census but got a different family but their result came up under no. 36 but I'm unable to check transcription errors.

Not really relevant but Rhoda's first husband emigrated to US in 1907 and was still alive in 1940. Doubtful they divorced (possibly why she didn't marry Alfred) and she may have married Arthur bigamously.

Rhoda's eldest 2 daughters were listed as Walsgrove, though on the 1911 census the youngest of these 2 is listed as Hollingsworth (daughter) whilst the elder is listed as Walsgrove (adopted daughter). So I'd guess Rhoda's first marriage broke down sometime between their births.

Ada also married under the name Walsgrove. Just seems odd to list one as daughter and the other as adopted daughter for no reason.

Back