• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Leafield Crescent Glebe Farm

Brummie27

master brummie
My Mother remembers living in Holloway Head as a youngster but the whole family being moved out to the Glebe, Kitts Green, Birmingham and living in prefab houses for a time. She thinks the houses were built on a large oval ground and I cannot work out where this would have been. Was the City knocking down the houses in 1933-35 time - which is when this happened. We tried to find the place where she lived but it had change so much she was unable to tell us and she was only 6 or 7 at the time. Is there a site that can find that will give some history as to what happened at this time and how I can find where they were moved to? Thanks

Do you know her parents names? If so we might be able to trace them on electoral rolls from around that date.
Looking at maps it seems prior to the 1930s that area was mainly farmland - ie Glebe Farm.

The area was significantly developed in the 1930s. There were quite a few prefabs built at Gressel Lane and Leycroft Avenue. I think they were encased with more substantial materials so no longer look like prefabs. Perhaps someone can confirm this please. They now look by bungalows. If these were originally built as prefabs, the ones on Leycroft Avenue look like a possibility as they seem to be built around a semi-circle / shape. Viv

Here’s the Google Streetview link https://goo.gl/maps/peg1Y6vw94zxpVqg6

Do you know her parents names? If so we might be able to trace them on electoral rolls from around that date.
Looking at maps it seems prior to the 1930s that area was mainly farmland - ie Glebe Farm.
Hello
My great grandparents Frederic Adey and his wife Florence living at back of Cregoe Street in 1901 census but then 1911 living at Lower Nelson Street. Which another story as I can find Nelson Street and it’s a small road but no lower.
My grandmother married William T Jones and they were moved out of the city in the 30’s as Mom was 7-8 years old. My mother was Lilian Jones and there would have been at least 4 children at this stage. When I looked at old maps it looks like there was farm there but not much else. But Mom was certain of the dates.

any help would be appreciated.
thanks

The area was significantly developed in the 1930s. There were quite a few prefabs built at Gressel Lane and Leycroft Avenue. I think they were encased with more substantial materials so no longer look like prefabs. Perhaps someone can confirm this please. They now look by bungalows. If these were originally built as prefabs, the ones on Leycroft Avenue look like a possibility as they seem to be built around a semi-circle / shape. Viv

Hello
Thanks for your reply. I thought it might have been Hollington Crescent which is at the back of the Glebe shopping area. It’s a large island now. What do you think?

Back 29 Cregoe St was still there post WW2, and is shown on the map marked in blue (ignore red rectangle ).It was also known as no 2 court 4 Cregoe St and was indeed a back to back

map c1950 showing Cregoe st with back 29 marked.jpg

Last edited:
Hello
My great grandparents Frederic Adey and his wife Florence living at back of Cregoe Street in 1901 census but then 1911 living at Lower Nelson Street. Which another story as I can find Nelson Street and it’s a small road but no lower.
My grandmother married William T Jones and they were moved out of the city in the 30’s as Mom was 7-8 years old. My mother was Lilian Jones and there would have been at least 4 children at this stage. When I looked at old maps it looks like there was farm there but not much else. But Mom was certain of the dates.

any help would be appreciated.
thanks

I assume you know they were living in Lower Nelson St, Coventry in 1911. It is listed as such on the 1913 map, south side of Yardley St. North side is just Nelson Street.

I didn't realise that no. Thank you for spotting that. I had assumed they lived in the City Centre as there children remain living in the City. i,.e. my Gran went onto live in Holloway Head. Thank you

An aerial photo dated 1946 shows Kirton Grove with No 14 marked reference the map in post#11
KirtonGrove1946.jpg
This second aerial view dated 1935 from a different viewpoint. Some houses in Easthope Rd not yet built.
KirtonGrove1935.jpg
images source 'britainfromabove'

Rose Lilian Jones and William Aaron Jones lived at 14 Kirton Grove in 1939. Below are maps for c1950 and c1917 showing the position on each with red marker

View attachment 158582View attachment 158583
Hello
No I don’t think this is the right place. My grandparents names where William T Jones and Florence and they moved out Holloway Head in mid 30s. Also I remember my Mom showing me Hollington Cresent as the place where the prefabs were sited.

For info. Apparently the prefabs I referred to (post #3) in Gressall Lane and thereabouts were cladded and still around in 2008.

Viv.

Source: Prefabs thread post #32.
AF4DA610-DC5E-47DB-9F92-14A3B0C3E26A.jpeg
Source: Post #3 on Prefabs thread
7F24C2A8-7ECA-46D9-B8D7-4C56C9E5A6F6.jpeg

Last edited:

Thanks for mentioning Leycroft Avenue. Where I first practised driving, must have been 1957! Rather smart pre-fabs on that estate, to my teen-age eyes seemed a better class of pre-fab.

Try 22 Leafield Crescent

View attachment 158591
also listed is Florence Adey aged 65 and 5 "closed" records
Thank you this is fantastic. I think Florence aged 65 would have been my great grandmother. I can’t thank you enough - I will go and walk down that street to see where they lived soon.

Do you know if I can view and search the 1939 register? The family tree site I joined doesn’t have it, but others I have tried to search but then they want you to join before showing you results. I don’t really want to join another site.

Thought Florence Adey meant I had the right person. Did use streetview but some of the places looked newish.
1939 reg is on Ancestry but you can't see the closed records obviously. It is not always up to date - in my parents cases Mom is closed even though she died 6 years ago but Dad was visible.

Thought Florence Adey meant I had the right person. Did use streetview but some of the places looked newish.
1939 reg is on Ancestry but you can't see the closed records obviously. It is not always up to date - in my parents cases Mom is closed even though she died 6 years ago but Dad was visible.
But I couldn’t view anything it came up with joining the site screen before it would show me anything. I tried ancestry and findmypast without luck. Thank you again for sending me what you found.

The record is split over 2 pages;
Thank you - I had to laugh that my Aunt was assembling stoves
The record is split over 2 pages;
Sorry error occurred when I was half way through response. My Aunt was tiny and so picturing her building stoves is surprising. This document makes me feel closer to my family knowing what they did. Thank you do much, I’ve managed to share info with my Aunt that is still alive and she is pleased as well.

I've been and walked up the road where my Mum lived as a child and it was great. I have been walking very near this area every day on my lockdown walks - so wasn't far out of my way.

Thank you all for your help on this and providing maps and photos. Its been a real treat.

Back