• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lea Village Boys Secondary Modern School

this thread is being locked for moderation...some posts may have to be edited by moderators as the use of teachers/pupils etc names are not permitted in the context of allegations of abuse or of a sexual nature..it does not matter if they are true or false but we have a duty to protect the good name of this forum..the thread will be re opened as soon as we have had time to go through the posts

thank you

Long shot I know but, do any of you girls out there remember what the Lea Village Girls uniform was??

Hi all, does anyone remember my dad David Proctor, went to school with his brother Dereck, he was born in 1950 so I’m guessing he’d have been at school around 55-65

Hi there, if David was born in 50 he would not gone to secondary until 1961 when he was 11, I remember the names but didn't know them personally. I was born 1953 so when I was in 1st year they would probably be in 4th or 5th year. Wouldn't want to cast blame on anybody but, they were of the generation that caused the closure of the boys side and reopening as mixed.

Last edited:
Hi there.
I remember the Proctors.
David, Derek, Roy and their sister who's name I can't recall. The last time I saw Derek was when I worked at Land Rover, quite a few years back now. My brother Graham new your dad more than I did.
Does Derek still live at Glebe Farm ?
Last time saw Roy was about 15 years ago, he was on his motor bike.
Hope you are all well.

Hi I was at the school from 1956-7 through to 1961 ish.
It was a separate boys and girls school back then. I had a nickname back the of Ben, most people never knew my real name. Even teachers referred to me as Ben. I don't remember the pig club but we did have a school farm in the Cotswolds.
Some where in my archives I have school photos of the basketball team a Mr Morris was the PE teacher back then.
Hi Ben, I remember you, I was in the next year lower than you. Remember your class were mostly prefects but you were all sacked for some reason and we in the year below we’re made prefects. It was about 1961/2. I also remember going to Seven Wells farm with Mr Ayteo and also going on holiday for a week or two in the summer holidays. I went twice, we cycled there the once and you and me got to Stratford on Avon some how and then got a taxi from there to the farm cottage. I’ve been and had a look but the cottage has been demolished and the Farm House at Seven Wells looks abandoned. Happy memories.

I was there from1959 till 1964 and I remember ;
Mr Garlick (Eng Drg) Mr Morris (PE) Mr Adair (History)
I am still in regular contact with John Newley & Keith Osbourne.
Others I have met since school are : Brian Lomas,Terry Partridge,Alan Bull,David Barrington, Arthur Watts.
I also remember Malcolm Kendal, Paul West, John Henson.
I must have been in the year above you, because I remember the name Brian Lomas, same teachers. I remember one boy who was a very good sprinter and won the sprint races on school sports day with ease.

Hi Brian,
I guess you would have been in the same year as John Hubbard(whom I still in touch with)
Brian Lomas is also a name I remember , he was in the basket ball team with me, I am sure I have a photograph of the team somewhere in my archives. My understanding is that Brian passed away some time ago, but cant say for sure if that is correct. I remember the farm in the Cotswolds well, I had many happy times there. I may have been the sprinter that you refer too, I was in red house with Mr Adair as the house master, I used to win most of the sprints and had trials for the county.(not successful though) There was also a couple of younger lads who where in some of the teams that would be just behind your class, Roy Farthers and Frank Barwell, I met Frank Barwell many many years ago when I was working at the Rover Motor company but lost track after I left the company. I have not heard of Roy Since.
Do you still live in Birmingham, I have moved to the south now and live on the edge of the New Forrest.
It would be good to catch up more and reminisce on our school days. I was head boy at the time of the trouble you refer too. I could update you on the incident if you would like to know how it all evolved,

John T Davis You must have been in the 2nd year as I was in the 5th?

Hi Brian,
I guess you would have been in the same year as John Hubbard(whom I still in touch with)
Brian Lomas is also a name I remember , he was in the basket ball team with me, I am sure I have a photograph of the team somewhere in my archives. My understanding is that Brian passed away some time ago, but cant say for sure if that is correct. I remember the farm in the Cotswolds well, I had many happy times there. I may have been the sprinter that you refer too, I was in red house with Mr Adair as the house master, I used to win most of the sprints and had trials for the county.(not successful though) There was also a couple of younger lads who where in some of the teams that would be just behind your class, Roy Farthers and Frank Barwell, I met Frank Barwell many many years ago when I was working at the Rover Motor company but lost track after I left the company. I have not heard of Roy Since.
Do you still live in Birmingham, I have moved to the south now and live on the edge of the New Forrest.
It would be good to catch up more and reminisce on our school days. I was head boy at the time of the trouble you refer too. I could update you on the incident if you would like to know how it all evolved,

John T Davis You must have been in the 2nd year as I was in the 5th?
Hi Ralph, I remember John Hubbard well, he had red hair and freckles at the time, he was in my class. I am in touch with Malcom McIntyre who followed you as head boy, on Facebook, but I haven’t seen or heard of anyone else in my year since I left school.
I live on a golf course development in Redditch at the moment but have moved about the West Midlands a bit.
One friend I would like to find is John King who was in my class and lived in Ridpool Road.
I was in the blue house and remember being in the 100 metre race but got left behind by a at least 30 metres. My long legs weren’t made for sprinting.
My Dad was from Cosham near Portsmouth so now Hampshire pretty well.
Best wishes and hope you’re in good health.
Brian

Hi Ralph, I remember John Hubbard well, he had red hair and freckles at the time, he was in my class. I am in touch with Malcom McIntyre who followed you as head boy, on Facebook, but I haven’t seen or heard of anyone else in my year since I left school.
I live on a golf course development in Redditch at the moment but have moved about the West Midlands a bit.
One friend I would like to find is John King who was in my class and lived in Ridpool Road.
I was in the blue house and remember being in the 100 metre race but got left behind by a at least 30 metres. My long legs weren’t made for sprinting.
My Dad was from Cosham near Portsmouth so now Hampshire pretty well.
Best wishes and hope you’re in good health.
Brian
Here's a poor quality photo of class 2a from the mid 50's, regards, John.

Attachments

• Class 2A 1954_5 Lea Village School.jpg
    Class 2A 1954_5 Lea Village School.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 31
This is a school photo of 3rd year at Lea Village 1959/60

Attachments

• 429A4778-DE82-492E-9D67-57F8874C0014.jpeg
    429A4778-DE82-492E-9D67-57F8874C0014.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
This is school photo of the 5th form at Lea Village 1961/62

Attachments

• 98269B01-C1C4-4F01-8C79-488C2AF5E030.jpeg
    98269B01-C1C4-4F01-8C79-488C2AF5E030.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
Lea Village Secondary Modern Boys School, I attended Lea Village School from 1947 to 1957, but look it up on the internet and it appears it never existed, I recently joined facebook and when i entered the school i attended i was informed it was not valid ? The only school they seem to accept is Lea Village " Mirfield " School which is NOT the school i attended. I also still have the school badge from my old blazer plus copies of the school magazine called " The Leader " So where are all the the boys that attended LEA VILLAGE SECONDARY MODERN BOYS SCHOOL ? p.s There was also a girls school.
HI, I went to Lea Village Sec. Mod School from 1944 (in the then nursery) then through Infants, Juniors and Seniors (b stream) till leaving school in Dec. 1954. In the seniors both i and another boy (sorry can't remember name) were in charge of distributing tins of Star crisps to classes and collecting monies for crisps sold. Ron Atkinson (mentioned earlier by Dereklcg) live in Fordfield road near to us in 58 Lea For Road though a year or so above me.

I was at Lea Village Boys Sec 1961-1965, 1A, 2A, 3A & 4A Teachers I remember are Birch-Head, Evans-Dep Head, Tickell-Woodwork, Evans-Library, Morris-Gym Teacher, Bartell-Metal Work, Garlick-Maths, Peter Bowling-Art, Archer-Music & Tech Drawing, Macfarlane-Maths, Nightingale, Sports (Rugby), Meekin-Gym & Rugby. To name a few, Girls headmistress was Miss Jossity.

Here's a poor quality photo of class 2a from the mid 50's, regards, John.
I am Roger lovell year ahead nice to see big max tremaine and brooks at back played for all the footy teams with super Mac as we called him .Anybody remember the pirates of Penzance what performance it was boys as girls and police pirates he put me as girl first but my voice broke so I became a pirate.was I pleased dressed in my sisters striped top

This is a picture taken in the 1950's of a Lea Village School trip to London Airport. The lads in the picture are, I have surnames only Hughes, Ray, Kitchen, Johnson, Parker, Bennet, Edge, Lane, Robinson, Postans, Evans, and Brown. Anyone out there know any of them ?

Attachments

• IMG_20230428_234801868.jpg
    IMG_20230428_234801868.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 19
My dad, William (Bill) Shackleford was at Lea Village Boys 1949-53
Here he is in this picture of the school football team with the Birmingham trophies for his final year in 1953, along with his most revered teacher, Mr McFarlane.
Can anyone name the other boys here, or the other teacher?
Also in the picture is the famous WBA/Aston Villa/Man United/Coventry manager Ron Atkinson. I won't tell you where he is, but instead post to the forum as a teaser to see if you can find him. I will reveal all a few weeks from now!

Attachments

• 1953 Lea Village soccer. Bill Shack front row 2nd L Q AGAIN.jpg
    1953 Lea Village soccer. Bill Shack front row 2nd L Q AGAIN.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
My dad, William (Bill) Shackleford was at Lea Village Boys 1949-53
Here he is in this picture of the school football team with the Birmingham trophies for his final year in 1953, along with his most revered teacher, Mr McFarlane.
Can anyone name the other boys here, or the other teacher?
Also in the picture is the famous WBA/Aston Villa/Man United/Coventry manager Ron Atkinson. I won't tell you where he is, but instead post to the forum as a teaser to see if you can find him. I will reveal all a few weeks from now!
The teacher on the left side of your picture is Mr Upton. and I don't recognise the one wearing glasses as Mr McFarlane, regards, John.

Back