• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lea Village Boys Secondary Modern School

This photo features class 2a at Lea Village Boys' school in about 1966. The form teacher was Mr.Walters, who taught P.E. I am second row down on the Left. Ron Gurney, who became a lifelong friend of mine until his death in 2013, is on the extreme Right on the top row. Other names I remember are John Evans (third row down on the Left) who I've spoken to on the 'phone fairly recently, and Stan Lane (second from the Right, second row down). I remember that the Headmaster at the time was Mr.Birch. The deputy Head was Mr.Evans, who taught English. Teachers I can recall are: Mr.Macfarlane (Maths), Mr. Bowling (Art), Mr.Keith Archer (Music).

My friends at the time were ,Phil Griffith.Brian Baker,David Siviter,,Ronnie Frost,David Callow Dennis Moon,Ron& Graham Atkinson Harry Ironmonger,Teddy Thomas,and a few more.Could go on.

Lea Village Secondary Modern Boys School, I attended Lea Village School from 1947 to 1957, but look it up on the internet and it appears it never existed, I recently joined facebook and when i entered the school i attended i was informed it was not valid ? The only school they seem to accept is Lea Village " Mirfield " School which is NOT the school i attended. I also still have the school badge from my old blazer plus copies of the school magazine called " The Leader " So where are all the the boys that attended LEA VILLAGE SECONDARY MODERN BOYS SCHOOL ? p.s There was also a girls school.
I attended Lea Village Secondary Modern boys school till it was closed down in 1968 for hooligansm and vandalism We the pupils from the 3rd year were allocated to new schools and the school was renamed Mirfield and yes part of the school was for girls

Last edited:
As it happens, I was there at the time the boys and girls schools merged into one mixed school in September 1966. The "Pig Club" had long-finished by that time, but I remember that year's final edition of the boys school magazine "The Leader". That edition had many ex-teachers and pupils talking about many past things that happened at the school, including the "Pig Club". As far as I remember, the magazine articles said that the club had been started not long after the war, with the kids and staff looking after the pigs in the school grounds - I'm sure you know a lot more about this than me! From previous comments you've made, it sounds as if you left school in the mid - 50's when the club was still going. I'm guessing it didn't carry on much longer after that.

Phil im sure it merged into a mixed school in 1968 because i was one of the 3rd year pupils allocated to a new school for my last year which was 1969 The name changed to Mirfield which my younger siblings attended

Hi I was at the school from 1956-7 through to 1961 ish.
It was a separate boys and girls school back then. I had a nickname back the of Ben, most people never knew my real name. Even teachers referred to me as Ben. I don't remember the pig club but we did have a school farm in the Cotswolds.
Some where in my archives I have school photos of the basketball team a Mr Morris was the PE teacher back then.

I looked on Freinds Reunited & there seems to be boys on the Lea Village page. They referreed to the "Leader mag" so it must be your schoolView attachment 93580 mate! Have a look. Coppied a picture off Friends attached.
Hi there. I used to go to lea Village Secondary School. I was in the photo. The Teacher was Mr Archer, he taught music. I remember finding his phone number and singing down the phone to him. He hadn't a got clue who it was.
I don't think there was a week go by when i didn't get the cane, mainly for laughing in the classroom.
I can honestly say, the cane taught us discipline and morals. The kids today wouldn't last 5 minutes now.
After spending two years at the school, we where kicked out because of Vandalism. Not me, i was a good boy. Ha ha.
I chose to go to Alderley Boys School Shard End. It was just as bad there.
I've been to lots of quizzes in the past, and i can honestly say i've learned more through quizzes than i ever did at school. Some of the quiz teams where made up of teachers. They usually came last.
Anyway, all the best to any one who went to those Schools.

Last edited:
Hi Biff, we must have been there together, I am Ray Drakeley born '53 was also kicked out july 1966 (1c, 2c) and went to Cockshut Hill (3c, 4c&5c, Dunce). Mr Archer kept his cane in a long carbard tube ontop of the cupboard, when he used it he would tap his heels twice before starting the forward action, I doubt anyone went back for seconds. I also remember Birch, Evans, Macfarlane, Bowling(ruggerhead) best memories were of Mr Tickel in woodwork, he taught my 3 older brothers. Do you remeber that Birch was a professor of sex and if ever a teacher was off he would come in and give a sex lesson. Evans always embassed me in class because I was no good at english. . I always hated going to the playing fields to play blody football! The geography teacher was nice, he took a few lucky boys to Switzerland I couldnt afford that. I joined the scool band to avoid art and ended playing in 3 bands untill I was 16. Have attached a pic of me from 65/66 in uniform, can just see black and silver tie.
I have only found this site 30 dec 20, have really enyoyed seeing waht people have posted, it is such a pity that there is such a lack of information, were we really THAT bad! Good luck for the future and lookinf forward to hearing much more.
Regards Ray.

Attachments

• Winky 2.jpg
    Winky 2.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone remember Mr Davies i think he was the History teacher We used to call him Pongo he kept a bottle of whiskey in back room haha he was so funny

I remeber him, funny little guy with a moustache . Do you remember the school play that he produced, king Arthur and the burnt cakes, it was in the afternoon, he was pissed from the pub shouted out forgotten lines and got lost in the curtains.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember Mr Bowling, he was the art teacher, he was a lovely man.

I remember the head master Mr Birch,
I also remember the book cupboard in one of the classrooms having a huge hole in it.
We were told the teacher who’s name I can’t remember, had shoved a pupils head through it.
We were frightened to death in case he did it to one of us.
The good old days.
Edited

Last edited:
this thread is being locked for moderation...some posts may have to be edited by moderators as the use of teachers/pupils etc names are not permitted in the context of allegations of abuse or of a sexual nature..it does not matter if they are true or false but we have a duty to protect the good name of this forum..the thread will be re opened as soon as we have had time to go through the posts

thank you

Long shot I know but, do any of you girls out there remember what the Lea Village Girls uniform was??

Hi all, does anyone remember my dad David Proctor, went to school with his brother Dereck, he was born in 1950 so I’m guessing he’d have been at school around 55-65

Hi there, if David was born in 50 he would not gone to secondary until 1961 when he was 11, I remember the names but didn't know them personally. I was born 1953 so when I was in 1st year they would probably be in 4th or 5th year. Wouldn't want to cast blame on anybody but, they were of the generation that caused the closure of the boys side and reopening as mixed.

Last edited:
Hi there.
I remember the Proctors.
David, Derek, Roy and their sister who's name I can't recall. The last time I saw Derek was when I worked at Land Rover, quite a few years back now. My brother Graham new your dad more than I did.
Does Derek still live at Glebe Farm ?
Last time saw Roy was about 15 years ago, he was on his motor bike.
Hope you are all well.

Hi I was at the school from 1956-7 through to 1961 ish.
It was a separate boys and girls school back then. I had a nickname back the of Ben, most people never knew my real name. Even teachers referred to me as Ben. I don't remember the pig club but we did have a school farm in the Cotswolds.
Some where in my archives I have school photos of the basketball team a Mr Morris was the PE teacher back then.
Hi Ben, I remember you, I was in the next year lower than you. Remember your class were mostly prefects but you were all sacked for some reason and we in the year below we’re made prefects. It was about 1961/2. I also remember going to Seven Wells farm with Mr Ayteo and also going on holiday for a week or two in the summer holidays. I went twice, we cycled there the once and you and me got to Stratford on Avon some how and then got a taxi from there to the farm cottage. I’ve been and had a look but the cottage has been demolished and the Farm House at Seven Wells looks abandoned. Happy memories.

I was there from1959 till 1964 and I remember ;
Mr Garlick (Eng Drg) Mr Morris (PE) Mr Adair (History)
I am still in regular contact with John Newley & Keith Osbourne.
Others I have met since school are : Brian Lomas,Terry Partridge,Alan Bull,David Barrington, Arthur Watts.
I also remember Malcolm Kendal, Paul West, John Henson.
I must have been in the year above you, because I remember the name Brian Lomas, same teachers. I remember one boy who was a very good sprinter and won the sprint races on school sports day with ease.

Hi Brian,
I guess you would have been in the same year as John Hubbard(whom I still in touch with)
Brian Lomas is also a name I remember , he was in the basket ball team with me, I am sure I have a photograph of the team somewhere in my archives. My understanding is that Brian passed away some time ago, but cant say for sure if that is correct. I remember the farm in the Cotswolds well, I had many happy times there. I may have been the sprinter that you refer too, I was in red house with Mr Adair as the house master, I used to win most of the sprints and had trials for the county.(not successful though) There was also a couple of younger lads who where in some of the teams that would be just behind your class, Roy Farthers and Frank Barwell, I met Frank Barwell many many years ago when I was working at the Rover Motor company but lost track after I left the company. I have not heard of Roy Since.
Do you still live in Birmingham, I have moved to the south now and live on the edge of the New Forrest.
It would be good to catch up more and reminisce on our school days. I was head boy at the time of the trouble you refer too. I could update you on the incident if you would like to know how it all evolved,

John T Davis You must have been in the 2nd year as I was in the 5th?

Hi Brian,
I guess you would have been in the same year as John Hubbard(whom I still in touch with)
Brian Lomas is also a name I remember , he was in the basket ball team with me, I am sure I have a photograph of the team somewhere in my archives. My understanding is that Brian passed away some time ago, but cant say for sure if that is correct. I remember the farm in the Cotswolds well, I had many happy times there. I may have been the sprinter that you refer too, I was in red house with Mr Adair as the house master, I used to win most of the sprints and had trials for the county.(not successful though) There was also a couple of younger lads who where in some of the teams that would be just behind your class, Roy Farthers and Frank Barwell, I met Frank Barwell many many years ago when I was working at the Rover Motor company but lost track after I left the company. I have not heard of Roy Since.
Do you still live in Birmingham, I have moved to the south now and live on the edge of the New Forrest.
It would be good to catch up more and reminisce on our school days. I was head boy at the time of the trouble you refer too. I could update you on the incident if you would like to know how it all evolved,

John T Davis You must have been in the 2nd year as I was in the 5th?
Hi Ralph, I remember John Hubbard well, he had red hair and freckles at the time, he was in my class. I am in touch with Malcom McIntyre who followed you as head boy, on Facebook, but I haven’t seen or heard of anyone else in my year since I left school.
I live on a golf course development in Redditch at the moment but have moved about the West Midlands a bit.
One friend I would like to find is John King who was in my class and lived in Ridpool Road.
I was in the blue house and remember being in the 100 metre race but got left behind by a at least 30 metres. My long legs weren’t made for sprinting.
My Dad was from Cosham near Portsmouth so now Hampshire pretty well.
Best wishes and hope you’re in good health.
Brian

Back