• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lawson Tait..pioneering Surgeon..1845-1899

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Burbury St.jpg lawson tait.jpg funny how much we can learn if we research our own little neck of the woods...although born in scotland lawson tait practiced in birmingham all his working life saving many lives he also opened the birmingham hospital for women..on the 1871 census he was living and working at 317 burbury st with his mother...he moved a couple of times but this house is the only one still standing and still has the two pillars each side of the door as described in this newspaper article written in 1970..shame he did not get more recognition although having said that i think he may be remembered at the general hospital...will try and find out about that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawson_Tait

Last edited:
Lyn, thank you for posting such an interesting piece about Lawson Tait and I must admit I had never heard of him. What a shame he hasn't been recognised for his exceptional work.
Anthea

this bit from the Birm Post 7.10.1971 emphasises the enmity of the profession to him

Attachments

• Lawson Tait.womens hosp. B.P.7.10.71.jpg
    Lawson Tait.womens hosp. B.P.7.10.71.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 22
thanks for that info1891 mike..very interesting..

anthea on the 1881 lawson tait is at no 7 gt charles st with his wife...

on the 1891 he has something grander by the looks of it occupying nos 7.8.9 and 10 the crescent ladywood..i think that was near cambridge st..mike may help us with a map for that one..he has 9 servants and 7 women of various ages down as visitors..i can only think that maybe they were women being treated by lawson tait maybe even performing operations there as one of the servants is down as a nurse...

The map below shows The Crescent c 1889, (probably surveyed around 1886). Kellys for 1892 lists Lawson Tait at no 7, with 8,9 & 10 as the Surgical Home for Ladies, Lawson Tait Professor, and 12 as the Nurses Training Institution. I am not certain whch is no 7, but,have marked which I think it is in blue (with ?). The numbering which I am sure of is in red.

Attachments

• map c 1889 showing the Crescent.jpg
    map c 1889 showing the Crescent.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
crikey mike that was a big place....thanks very much for the map and info and i was right then in thinking this was also where operations were performed..that puts a bit more meat on the bones to this great man

lyn

had to confirm this before i posted but the mother of a friend of mine worked as a cleaner at the general hospital 70 years ago and she spotted a framed photo of lawson tait at the hospital..she liked the name so much that she named her son lawson...

Mikejees old 1889 map from my take on the Women's Hospital beginnings, showing the first ever Women's Hospital of Lawson Tait in the Crescent.....The Crescent Map 1889 copy.jpg ...

Mikejees old 1889 map from my take on the Women's Hospital beginnings, showing the first ever Women's Hospital of Lawson Tait in the Crescent.....View attachment 126264 ...

quite right dennis he did practice from the crescent...i have studied lawson tait not just because he was a great man but he also lived in my neck o the woods before he moved to the crescent.. in fact the house is still standing top of burbury st link below to show his house its the one with the two white pillars...should be a thread for him on here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5...4!1sbWdkbGAqIQ0u4Shqt9rrZw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

lyn

Lyn, I think Lawson Tait's Burberry Street house would have been the whole of the building with the doorway central to the house - so th extent would have included the three windows on the first storey and the two shops below (but obviously not shops when he lived there !).

An interesting piece of medical history Lyn. Thanks for researching it. Viv.

yes viv if no 317 was the last house then it would have been the whole of the building but if there was a no 319 then just part of it...will try and find that out..

Lyn
No 317 is shown on the c1950 map as all of that building, including a length around the corner. The c1889 map below shows that it had quite a big garden also

map c1889 showing no 317 burbury st.jpg

mike thats great thank you...so a large house and as you say a large garden as well..cant see that garden still being there but i am due a trip down that way soon so i may have a look...

lyn

Amazing Lyn. I wonder how many more women would have died without his intervention at a time when hysterectomies were routinely carried out for various nervous disorders and most patients died 'on the table'. It was a shame that his career had to end in such a way.
Did you just spot the building and follow it up Lyn, or did you know of him before? Well done whichever it was!

no pen i knew of him before then i went onto ancestry and followed him:D....in my opinon he should be more than well deserving of a blue plaque especially as his house is still standing but as most of us know that will never happen...like i said earlier now that i know just how large the house and gardens were/are i will be taking a trip down there soon to get some photos other than st view ones..i did take some about 2 years back but i cant find them now but its not a problem to re take them...

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn - doesn't look as if the garden is there on google satellite - looks as if it has been built on!!

that does not surprise me jan ...i may even get a look inside she says hopefully:rolleyes: looking at the view round the corner the post box is still in the same place as in mikes map post 13

lyn

Back