• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lauries International Club, Birmingham (central) 1997 - does anyone remember this club?

Kat7272

master brummie
Laurie Williams was in possession of a night club in 1997, sorry I am not sure of the street but it was in central Birmingham. It was a 1930's built car showroom that he bought and transformed into the first private members gay club in 1997, in time for the first gay pride event.

Laurie Williams is linked to one of my relations that is proving difficult when it comes to finding information. I am trying to learn more about Laurie Williams as he seemed to be a strong character in order to believe in what he was. Hopefully the search may lead me to know more about my relation, Lionel Strawbridge.

If anyone could help I would be really grateful.

Thanks Maurice, I may have stumbled across that when I was searching for information on Lionel, but I wasn't really concentrating much on Laurie at that point. But thanks for pointing it out, much appreciated.

And there's this on Skyscraper City.com:-

Laurie Williams did attempt to open a small drinking club on Hurst Street some time later, where Angles is, but alas it failed. Laurie died shortly after.

Maurice :cool:

Thanks Maurice. It would be great if I could find pics of Laurie with Lionel. Surely there may be some pics somewhere as Laurie was involved in party politics.

Kat,

If you know what Party the pair of them were involved with , it possible that the local HQ of that Party may be able to help. Local online newspapers are a bit thin on the ground after WW2. I've just searched on both names from 1980 onwards and drawn a blank.

Maurice :cool:

I did think of that, I'm halfway through reading up on it. I think I will give it a try anyway as it might bring me some info. Thanks for mentioning it Maurice.

Back