• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Latimer Street, B15

Hello everybody. I lived in Latimer Street (3/91) from 1953 to about 1960 when we moved to Welsh House Farm. The Smiths lived next door to us (Anita the youngest), Aunty Emm (Miss Carpenter) lived the other side of the passage. Back of us - at the front :) - was the Bennets (Youngest Sandra, middle Eileen, eldest ??). I went to St Thomas's from September 1957, whilst Miss Ford was the headmistress. Dad used to have a weekly delivery from Davenports and when that ran out he would send me up to the offie (The Brittania?, not down so not Colmore Arms) for a top-up. He used to drive the N° 9 bus out of the Quinton depot, up and down the Hagley Road with my mom on the platform at the back. That was before he worked at the post office in Monument Road, Ladywood. I have some photos somewhere, but they are mainly of us kids in our yard ...
If you were to share your reminiscences, we will surely be reminded of more that we have forgotten!
Hi I am Jean Bennett I lived at 89latimer St edgebaston

Last edited:
Hi Sospiri
I've just seen the list of residents in Latimer Street in 1955, I lived at 90.
2 back of 90 is mentioned but not 90, could it have been empty then?
I remember living there up untill about 1961.

Thanks Bob
Hi we just have been neighbors I lived at 89 Latimer st

Last edited:
Hello everybody. I lived in Latimer Street (3/91) from 1953 to about 1960 when we moved to Welsh House Farm. The Smiths lived next door to us (Anita the youngest), Aunty Emm (Miss Carpenter) lived the other side of the passage. Back of us - at the front :) - was the Bennets (Youngest Sandra, middle Eileen, eldest ??). I went to St Thomas's from September 1957, whilst Miss Ford was the headmistress. Dad used to have a weekly delivery from Davenports and when that ran out he would send me up to the offie (The Brittania?, not down so not Colmore Arms) for a top-up. He used to drive the N° 9 bus out of the Quinton depot, up and down the Hagley Road with my mom on the platform at the back. That was before he worked at the post office in Monument Road, Ladywood. I have some photos somewhere, but they are mainly of us kids in our yard ...
If you were to share your reminiscences, we will surely be reminded of more that we have forgotten!

I think that is your mom Harvey to old for Eileen
I was born in 1947 and lived at 1/65 Latimer Street shortly thereafter until about 1959 or 1960. I lived with my grandparents Rose and Joseph Firkins. The only friend that I can remember from the street is Paul Manton. My uncle and aunt also lived there namely, Sheila and Kenneth Firkins. I also remember the shop across the road run by a portly woman, Mrs. Johnson. I went to St. Thomas's School opposite the Garden of Rest which was the formed from the ruins of the old church.

hi bob and welcome...click on link below where you should find some photos of latimer st...

lyn

hi everyone,new to this forum,my name is leigh crowe and lived at 6 back of 72 latimer street between 1952 and 1961.i attended st thoms,s school,so i must have lived close to some of the people on this forum probably even played with some of you,i had 2 brothers and my parents were martin and brenda crowe.

I had lived in Latimer street till the age of 12,didnt, know I lived next door to a chapel ,it was at the time when it was changed into a work place.it was opposite St Asaph church .Latimer chapel appears in Birmingham directories as a baptist chapel from 1873 to1884 from which date it is entered as a Wesleyan ..love to find out more information anyone help .

Back