• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lathams Shops

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
Nechells place O0

Attachments

• Nechells, Nechells Place 1964.jpg
    Nechells, Nechells Place 1964.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:
Postie,was this shop run by the Greenway family do you know :idiot2:

Can anyone remember a shop by the name of Lathams. We were at a funeral on Monday and the subject came up. Rings bells can anyone help. It would have ben in the Witton area. Guess what?, some of them remember Alf from the bowling alley. Bye for now. Jean.

Jean there was a Lathams opposite The Golden Cross at Aston Cross next door to the Municipal Bank, I have a feeling they moved from Nechells or may be had another branch there. Someone will be along soon no doubt to put me right. They sold curtains, linen etc.

Thanks for that Sylvia I think you are right. Just remembered there was a Lathams on the corner of Dyas Hawthorn road a few years back maybe the same family. I think I should have put an a and not an o in the name. bye for now. Jean.

Lathams had branches at Castle Bromwich and The Glebe.I used to sell floorcovering to the branch at Hawthorn Road up until 7 years ago.Paul Latham told me he was going to retire and now the shop has gone.

Hi Gee Gee jean put the word Lathams in the search box and a number of threads will come up on theshops, even some pic's

Pom

Seem to remember that there was a lathoms shop alum rock area somewhere by the old capital cinema and pelham pub. Used to go there with mom to buy material/curtains:) There was also another shop (slightly off track) by the capital bit of a joke shop we used to buy pretend cigarettes that blew out smoke used to go to the capital sit there thinking how great it was pretending to smoke:thumbsdown: How times have changed.

I remember the name Lathams .. I think there was a shop either in Lea Village (or was that Hannibals) or the Glebe ..

Sylvia, was that LATHAMS in Park Lane not a Dentists? Had my first tooth extracted by them as a kid.

Ok folks,

what was the name of the drapery situated next to Fred Parkins (furniture) opposite the Pelham Arms.. I could have sworn that was also a Lathams.. it had a large glass frontage

Baron. the Lathams I remember was a large shop on the corner of Rocky Lane/Aston Road, in later years I seem to recall it was a car showroom for a short time. I don't recall Lathams a dentist, but then again I was tortured at the school clinic at Albert Road School!!!!

I went to Mr Lacey on Potters Hill as my mom wouldn't take me back to be strapped down and tortured like Sylvia was. Peter still has nightmares about the place. I don't remember a Latham dentist. Jean.

I remember Lathoms in nechells pk rd the poolway and the glebe,
if i remember right did,nt they put that colored cellophane up when! when! we had sun to stop the stuff in the window,discoloring.
there was a program on the TV not so long ago a couple up north and one in Cardiff it was called department store,sold all the type of things that you remember when younger pinnies tea cloths turbans,not really they were made out of pretty much, any piece of cloth them days. happy memories Derek

Hi Derek,

Was Lathams (Glebe) either on the corner (where post office is) or was it by the carpet shop if you were coming up the hill from the Bus Garage, .. I can picture the "orange sun blinds" but cannot remember where abouts !

Can you remember the Drapery opposite the Pelham and next door to Post office and Fred Parkins (furniture).. It has bugged me for days cos I cannot remember its name . I think it may have been Hunts but I'm not sure

My mother was a regular visitor to Lathams, with me in tow, on the corner of Kingstanding Rd and Dyas Rd, it's now a furniture shop. I seem to remember she was always buying mainly buttons, probably to replace the ones that got crushed in the mangle LOL. As a kid it used to amaze me when, no matter what you asked for, they always knew which little drawer to go to, there seemed to be hundreds of them.

bren

Hi Dianne i seem to remember the glebe if you turned right at the pub and it was down there but it is a long time ago,and i remember Fred parkins shop,but as to the location sorry mate. i know there was a co-op shop as you came up to the pelam from town before the pub that sold furniture. Derek

Bren that shop was there when we first moved from Kidderminster and I used it often. There were rolls and rolls of net curtain. It was Sylvia who jogged my memory. We moved to Dunedin 38 years ago. Jean.

Back