• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Late 70s amateur Aerial Photos, city and south to Longbridge

41353-12
Another school, again prob First/Middle
index.php
Valley Primary School, Fallowfield Road, Solihull had a few changes since the 1970s but the original building positions can be seen.
ValleyPrimary.jpg

I think that's Newtown. The Lucas factory being the triangular bit more or less centre. The row of 5 tower blocks would be on New John Street West. I lived for about 18 months in the white tower block that's on the left near the bottom of the photo.

quite correct judi...it is newtown..i lived in the middle block of flats...wheeler st to the left of the photo

lyn

Valley Primary School, Fallowfield Road, Solihull had a few changes since the 1970s but the original building positions can be seen.

It has been a busy and taxing week, as everywhere of course, and I have checked back only now.

Excellent work on this and the others now-added, wonderful for anyone coming along later or searching for connections - good of you to take the time.

And the track seems now to be closely assumable within a couple of wiggles :)

TQ

TQ was that your aircraft or the local flying clubs. If the local flying clubs was it Birmingham flying school which I think it was called. If it was do you remember a chap called Rick Ions

TQ was that your aircraft or the local flying clubs. If the local flying clubs was it Birmingham flying school which I think it was called. If it was do you remember a chap called Rick Ions

No, not mine: I flew out of Baginton by preference, and at that time had a one-third share in a PA28.

Elmdon was the obvious preference given the "mission" :) and also was where my friend, who was only in S'hull, flew-from after originally getting his license there.

I can't now recall the details too finely, but I do remember going up a few wooden steps to a walkway that went across the fronts of a number (5-6 maybe?) of adjoining light-construction single-storey wooden buildings about the size of a 20ft Container, that were off to the right of the apron as you came around the main building. The one we went in to was down the walkway a little, so maybe 3rd/4th/5th along if that helps you but whether a school or a club I really couldn't say with any certainty.

We stayed in touch lifelong, though that was more than a little stretched after my late-20s because my business was split between here and the US and I was over there 6 months of the year through my professional life, sometimes more. Unfortunately he left us 13 years ago now, so I can't ask about the gentleman you mention. Sorry I can't help.

TQ

Shelley Court, Long Nuke Rd ,Northfield
Well spotted ... I had to use Google Earth historical view to confirm it .... :)
In 2011 they had built a new school behind the school seen in the 1970s aerial pic.
2011.jpg

In 2013 they had demolished the old school.
2013.jpg

• Appreciate
Reactions: T Q
Shelley Court, Long Nuke Rd ,Northfield

A brilliant catch, Les!

And thanks old Mohawk for the further digging.

Okay, here's the embarrassing part ... I would have been past there probably hundreds of times on my buzzy little pre-motorbike moped in my mid-teens when going from California (no, not THAT one) to visit a schoolfriend on the far side of Northfield ... Barnes Hill, Shenley Lane, straight across the Bristol Road and just a couple of minutes beyond ... went right past the gates!

TQ

I have identified a remaining unidentified photo in this series.
Just not seeing this, though I know I should easily work it out ..... small piece of industry in what seems predominantly a residential sprawl ... keeps pulling me back to an Incinerator but that's mainly because of the stack. Loads of potential clues all over the place again, but they are only clues if you have some familiarity and can recognise them as such I suppose.
index.php
The large building by the grassed area is now the Reynolds & Reynolds building.
A modern aerial view is shown below. The three tower blocks top left and the Bristol Rd at the bottom. The factory seen in the original photo was demolished and housing built on the site some time between 2006 and 2011.
IMG_1246.jpg

In 1924 the Kalamazoo factory stood on the site and maybe the grassed area was their sports field. Hawkesley Mill Lane can be seen in all photos.
Kalamazoo1924.jpg

The pdf below shows all the views as 'Then & Now' pics.

Last edited:
What a lovely and unexpected exercise these old photos have become, taken just on an early 1970s whim for a pleasure jaunt to see what shots I might grab ... with actually pretty disappointing results at the time that got them shoved away in a box for near-on 50 years unopened until brought back to mind by a post elsewhere on BHF.

I'm glad they are now worth having been taken, and to a greater degree than was expected when I initially posted them. I hope that others who may come across them in the future will find some of their own connections appearing in them too.

My thanks for all the thoughts, suggestions and contributions that pulled things together, and special appreciation for oldMohawk not only for cracking a couple of the stickier ones but also for the stellar job of compiling the "Then And Now" comparison document found in his accompanying .pdf. Brilliant!

TQ

35541-4
St Catherine of Siena Church, Bristol StView attachment 142921
Would it be ok to use this image? I’m running a page on Facebook trying to save the Horsefair mosaic at Holloway Head Circus. I’m writing a post on the church past and present. I have a fantastic aerial photo of the old church that would provide a great comparison. I’d be eternally grateful!

Welcome mwarom. An interesting project. It might be worthwhile sending TQ a message about using the photo. Just click on the small envelope on the blue bar above, then “start a conversation”.

Good luck with saving the mural. Perhaps you could let us know of progress. There’s a thread here where you could add any information if you wish to. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/horsefair-mosaic.39153/

Many thanks. Viv.

Would it be ok to use this image? I’m running a page on Facebook trying to save the Horsefair mosaic at Holloway Head Circus. I’m writing a post on the church past and present. I have a fantastic aerial photo of the old church that would provide a great comparison. I’d be eternally grateful!

SO sorry for missing this request until just today, mwarom ... the past 3-4 months have contained many personal distractions for me and the time has zoomed past to the exclusion of all-else but the fallout from all of this. My apologies.

Yes of course, if you haven't made other arrangements by now do please use it if it can make a contribution to what sounds like an excellent cause! A couple of lifetimes ago I had a small connection to a mural/mosaic that adorned a wall panel by the entrance (then!) of Dudley Road Hosp., and I came later to think that such art on Public Works/Buildings deserved at least a little recognition not overlooked like it was invisible.

Best of luck with the campaign, maybe add the FB page even?!

TQ

Back