• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Late 70s amateur Aerial Photos, city and south to Longbridge

40817-5
Nowhere that I am familiar with but I am sure someone will be, the roads/junction and some of the buildings look memorable enough too ... maybe even a Pub on the corner with a couple of shops adjoining?

Could the facility have a connection to Aston Villa maybe, a practise ground possibly at some point? ... the seating could be interpreted as claret and blue.

View attachment 142945
Hadley Stadium, Waterloo Rd. West Smethwick

Bittel reservoir? Barnt Green Sailing Club

Without doubt, clearly no question at all .. also corroborated by the smaller nearby lake the way that it is. Thanks for the excellent input.

And you might have jogged my memory a little now. That was I think the turning point for the return journey north ... "pick a feature on the ground, and then turn the 'plane around" as I was taught :) ... and which also explains the second photo from the opposite direction, probably from directly overhead the smaller lake! Hindsight is a wonderful thing ...

TQ

Thanks a lot for taking the time to take those photos all those years ago, and for now posting them on this web site.

I went walking round Birmingham city centre today taking photographs (though it was raining so did not take many) but your photos are a reminder on how much the city centre has changed and continues to change.

For those interested in aerial photos of the city and surrounds here are a few from the 1960s that Birmingham Mail posted a few years ago

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/see-birmingham-air-1960s-amazing-8836332

Thanks again for your photos T Q (I see you are a "master brummie" already even though you have just joined the site).

41353-7
A nice little lakeside community, goodness knows where. Looks pleasant, has/had a rather nice cricket pitch by the look of things, good to see someone had their priorities in order!
index.php
Looks like Olton Reservoir and quite a lot of building around it since you flew over it ... :)
Not far from the Airport (wsw) and used to be a holding point for small aircraft while the big ones were landing.
oltonreservoir.jpg

Last edited:
35541-10
Guessing a zoom-tryout from fuzziness, no idea of location but likely on line of departure so generally sorta-NW, so Marston Green ish ?
index.php
post#9
Looks like the junction of Willaston Road and Elmstead Road. I can see many similar features in the GE pic compared to the original. The one puzzle is the houses on the nearside of Willaston Road seem to have been demolished and rebuilt.
Elmstead.jpg

post#9
Looks like the junction of Willaston Road and Elmstead Road. I can see many similar features in the GE pic compared to the original. The one puzzle is the houses on the nearside of Willaston Road seem to have been demolished and rebuilt.
View attachment 143008
OM I think you're quite correct. The white houses in the foreground look just the same even down to the double garage on the end one.

• Appreciate
Reactions: T Q
We need TQ to tell us which seat he was sitting in and which side of the aircraft he was photographing from.

Did he take off north from runway 33 do a left turn towards Olton Reservoir or some other take off?
We could probably plot dots of the known locations on a map and join up the dots to find places in between .... :grinning:

• Appreciate
Looks like Olton Reservoir and quite a lot of building around it since you flew over it ... :)
Not far from the Airport (wsw) and used to be a holding point for small aircraft while the big ones were landing.

Undeniably so, and thanks for the perfect input.

You brought a couple of memories back as I used to fly out of Baginton, much more pleasant a base for jaunts.

My friend was only in Solihull however so was getting his licence at Elmdon, and it made more sense to go from there anyway given the initial aim of overflying the city for some photos, plus it gave him the P1 time for his logbook too.

But just occasionally I would do a roller at Elmdon for the higher-level experience of its zone protocols, although there was always something of a "please don't do that here too much" air about it though the Tower was never anything other than professionally appropriate of course though in later years did seem to routinely be wearing starched underpants/knickers.

Plus, I never really fancied practising engine failure on the climbout/turn there, didn't relish designating and committing to New Street or somewhere for the glide-in, lol, though it would have been fun then leaving the "climbing away" declaration just a tad late and see what tone of voice was used in the acknowledgement ... fun only until they took my license away and burned it I expect.

Anyway ...

Yes quite an amount of growth both inwardly and outwardly, but the years will do that and at least it appears to have involved a little in-keeping discretion. Still a shame about the quiet little cricket pitch however, even though there appears to be a bigger community (?) sports facility to replace it now - I know which one I would have preferred to play on :)

In passing: if your name/avatar is accurate, and I expect that both are, we may occasionally have been under the same roof.

From late 50s to late 60s, and then scaled back through the early 70s when life, profession and more began claiming more time, you would find me regularly at Silver Blades a good few nights a week either with friends or just pootling around for myself. Friday was always the set-in-stone evening for my personal social group, to be missed at your peril, though every evening was good. Saturdays a close second, but sometimes just to meet friends and and chat and watch/listen as people would go to the cinema first maybe, or some other teenscene place/thing, lol.

Some schoolday afternoons too when I didn't have lessons, and also occasional mornings for the entirely different atmosphere then of course, and especially Sundays for a while with a non-skater new early-girlfriend who wasn't allowed to date when there was school the following day, had a too-early curfew on Saturday, and whose strict Catholic parents had afternoon and evening Church plans for everyone on Sunday. So Sunday morning it was, parent-friendly because it was a "healthy pastime"!

Solihull too of course, though for most of my friends SB was more convenient so was the more-used. Never more than a pleasure skater, I would find it hard to put in to words just how big a part it played, how much fun, how many excellent times and super memories, that all added to my teen-years.

One above all in fact, for half way through one later SB session one of my friends came across, excited at having met a new girl but trying to be dead nonchalant about it, lol, saying to watch out for them circling holding hands (he made a point of stressing that part!) and come and say hello. We have now been married 53 years :)

When we come in to the City we tend to park in the Pershore St multi-storey for the best quick-escape, and have had plenty of mixed emotions as their neighbour declined, was demolished, and is now city-apartments. Progress is good, sometimes a bitch at the same time.

TQ

Last edited:
Hi TQ

If you look at the Aviation related sections of the forum you will find I've posted a lot there.

I was a regular listener to the air bands and know the atc routines of BHX etc. I took many flights from the old terminal.

These days I 'fly' with the FSX flight simulator ... there are even a few screenshots from it on the forum !

The 1950s was the decade of my youth ... and a couple of years in the RAF.

Ref: my avatar ... if you have not already seen them have a look here.

oldmohawk

:)

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
One thing I love about this web site is how one topic can then lead on to another topic.

This topic starts off with historic photographs from an airplane and is now talking about ice rinks and ice skating.

We need TQ to tell us which seat he was sitting in and which side of the aircraft he was photographing from.

Did he take off north from runway 33 do a left turn towards Olton Reservoir or some other take off?
We could probably plot dots of the known locations on a map and join up the dots to find places in between .... :grinning:

I was P2 so Right seat, though as-suitable I was leaning across, turning round, reaching over, lol ... a couple were even out of the rear windows in an arm-out stretch when something just looked good that way, I recall.

33, no recollection now from P2 of initial local instructions/departure.

Although I didn't use BHX myself very many times I can't recall ever going off 15 anyway. I was brought in on grass once, but just paralleling as a courtesy to a Heavy already declared Ready at entry for lineup.

The only guaranteed directionality is that which can be seen by the trailing edge/flaps where the wing is present, though bearing in mind the loop (banana!) was generally Elmdon-City-Longbridge-S/City-Elmdon, most of the photos are readily placed already with just a couple still puzzling, and it is only the initial departure-tracking and any positioning on the return that leave a couple more at the ragged edges.

Interestingly, just last night it came to me that with the gaps filling it should soon be possible to reasonably estimate the path on a map and potentially help home-in on remaining others :)

TQ

Hi TQ

If you look at the Aviation related sections of the forum you will find I've posted a lot there.

I was a regular listener to the air bands and know the atc routines of BHX etc. I took many flights from the old terminal.

These days I 'fly' with the FSX flight simulator ... there are even a few screenshots from it on the forum !

The 1950s was the decade of my youth ... and a couple of years in the RAF.

Ref: my avatar ... if you have not already seen them have a look here.

oldmohawk

I'm jumping about a fair bit today, but will certainly get comfy and take a look this evening, thanks!

TQ

One thing I love about this web site is how one topic can then lead on to another topic.

This topic starts off with historic photographs from an airplane and is now talking about ice rinks and ice skating.

That's precisely how I randomly arrived at an Elmdon post on some thread or other, which brought my ancient photos to mind for the first time in pretty well 50 years of being stored in a box/es through a series of attics as we have variously moved houses, and started this thread off wondering if it would be of any interest! :)

I was P2 so Right seat, though as-suitable I was leaning across, turning round, reaching over, lol ... a couple were even out of the rear windows in an arm-out stretch when something just looked good that way, I recall.

33, no recollection now from P2 of initial local instructions/departure.

Although I didn't use BHX myself very many times I can't recall ever going off 15 anyway. I was brought in on grass once, but just paralleling as a courtesy to a Heavy already declared Ready at entry for lineup.

The only guaranteed directionality is that which can be seen by the trailing edge/flaps where the wing is present, though bearing in mind the loop (banana!) was generally Elmdon-City-Longbridge-S/City-Elmdon, most of the photos are readily placed already with just a couple still puzzling, and it is only the initial departure-tracking and any positioning on the return that leave a couple more at the ragged edges.

Interestingly, just last night it came to me that with the gaps filling it should soon be possible to reasonably estimate the path on a map and potentially help home-in on remaining others :)

TQ
Yes I notice the view of Willaston Road left of rwy 33 is from the north and the view of Radleys Railway tunnel right of rwy 33 is from the south. I'm having a go at putting placemarks on Google Earth ... but other things I need to do today.

• Appreciate

.. Oh, and "aeroplane" please, "airplane" is so vulgarly American and not at all Bitish! :) ;)

Thanks a lot for taking the time to take those photos all those years ago, and for now posting them on this web site.

I went walking round Birmingham city centre today taking photographs (though it was raining so did not take many) but your photos are a reminder on how much the city centre has changed and continues to change.

For those interested in aerial photos of the city and surrounds here are a few from the 1960s that Birmingham Mail posted a few years ago

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/see-birmingham-air-1960s-amazing-8836332

Thanks again for your photos T Q (I see you are a "master brummie" already even though you have just joined the site).

Apologies as well as thanks for the link guilbert53 ... I seem to have missed you yesterday among my comings-and-goings.

Keep taking your photos, 50 years from now future generations will be looking at them marvelling at how wonderful it is to see what things were like way back in the Olden Days of 2020! :)

TQ

Back