• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Last Tram

F

Frantic

I remember someone telling me that the last tram to officially run in Brum was between six-ways Aston and Perry hall park. I remember the last time I went on a tram was to the Lickeys #62 I think. My mom was a clippie on the trams during the war and her claim to fame was when she put the poles on the wrong wires and knocked all the poles of the other trams coming in the opposite direction. :lol:

The last trams

The very last trams in public service ran at about midday on Saturday 4 July 1953 from Erdington (the Yenton - route 2), Short Heath (Streetly Road - route 78) and Pype Hayes (Tyburn Road - route 79) back to Miller Street depot. I was on the Pype Hayes car which was driven by my neighbour Gerry (Mick) Thompson, standing next to him. He retired early, not fancying becoming a conductor again.
The Bristol Road trams finished a year earlier, in July 1952 from Rednal (route 70) and Rubery (route 71) to Selly Oak depot, and the Cotteridge route 36 which I think was parked overnight on the reservation on Bristol road or Pebble Mill Road. I was on the last Rubery car.
The last trolley buses ran on the Coventry Road in July 1951. The Nechells trolleys had been replaced by buses in 1940 probably because of the flashing of the 'snake' in the tram rails going to and from Washwood Heath depot, which could have attracted German bombers.
The last Lozells (5), Alum Rock (8) and Washwood Heath (10) trams ran on Saturday 30 October 1950 - I was on the last car from Gravelly Hill to Witton depot.
The last Witton (3x) and Perry Barr (6) trams ran on Saturday 31 December 1949 - I was on the last car from Perry Barr to Miller Street depot, and walked home past Perry Barr afterwards, picking up a tram stop sign at Trinity Road which contractors were taking down.
Before that the last cars to Balsall Heath ran on sturday 1 October - this was my first 'last tram' run, from Alcester Lanes End (route 39) to Moseley Road depot.
Peter

Remember the day very well Peter,I lived in Erdington and we stood at 6 ways to watch.I loved the trams as a child ,especially going upstairs where you could alter the seats to face the one in front.
I can hear the rattle of the tracks as I am writing this.Crikey I feel old now.

Christchurch Tramway Ltd - We saw the successful return of the trams to the streets of Christchurch (NZ) in February 1995.
Every time I'm on the tram it takes me back to being a child in Birmingham, going on the tram with Mom in the early fifies. :)

A tram's a tram for all that.

My late uncle was a true tram fanatic. Incorporating his love of photography he travelled widely taking photographs not only in Brum but elsewhere about the country.
He even had a 00 guage layout in his spare bedroom and built his own trams that he ran upon it. He had various numbered Brum styled trams as well as the ones that traversed in Blackpool.
The occasion of the last tram to run to the Lickeys was the only time I went with him. Have a memory of a miserable day and whilst he was a kid on holiday taking the requisite photographs at various locations along the route (He chased the trams in is Austin 10 from the town centre) I, being the actual kid, could only wish to get home.

Erdington Terminus

This photo is of a tram at the Sutton New Road Erdington terminus, which was possibly the last day of service 4.7.1953

Another nice picture Wendy,keep them coming

July 4th 1953 ,the last day of tram service in Birmingham.

Colin

Back