• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Last Orders For Tetleys

Bernard67Arnold

master brummie
Anyone remember a nice cool pint of Tetleys? the gates of the brewery were closed for the final time yesterday.The closure of the 189 year old brewery, which
was swallowed up by the giant Carlsberg, saw the remaining 179 emplyees lose
their jobs.The site is being sold to land developers for a estimated value of £65
million.A spokesman said"Its a sad day for the City of Leeds".Some of the assets
have been sold to the National Brewery Centre in Burton on Trent. Bernard

Not much to inspire, but apparently 114 in telesales will remain on the site and the reception buildings and Tetley house will remain "for the forseeable future ". For most British firms the forseeable future is till the declaration of the next dividend, but maybe Danish firms are different

The problem is that breweries are much more efficient at making beer these days and don't need such large premises. Whats more the prefer us to drink lagerade and crappy smooth super filtrered superchilled meaga geg rubbish and pay for the privalege. When I was younger (40 years ago)we all did Home brew. I can see it taleing off again.

Leonard that is what one of our sons has done for some time now including wine. The one who used to work in the trade. Jean.

Leonard, that's what the proprietors of Two Towers, the brewery we visited on Friday,did. Theystarted off as home brewers, saw a niche and have expanded.
The beer lovers of the forum who came on Friday thought their ales were all good - see the thread Two Towers on the day - or try them out f you are able at The Brown Lion pub.
Sue

You might be interested in this: https://www.breweryhistory.com/journal/archive/122/Tetley.pdf. It's got some good descriptions and pictures in it - when I started visiting Yorkshire on a regular basis I developed quite a fondness for Tetley's Bitter - it was still brewed in the slate setts then and was very different to what is sold today! You used to go in the pubs and the first thing you saw on the bar was the big copper drain which had mountains of (natural) froth in it (you used to get a good head on the beer) - a few pints later.....and then some proper fish and chips on the way home. And this was only 1982 (but the fish and chips is still really nice, though). Happy days, eh?!

PS - this from 2008 https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk...98018&Ne=598327&PagingData=Po_0~Ps_10~Psd_Asc

Teetotalers should not forget that there is a quite pleasant tea with the same name. ;) I do not drink much tea but a restaurant recently served me a cup of Tetley tea (it was part of the meal) and I did think it pleasant. Not putting milk in tea does emphasise a nice taste from the 'floor sweepings' lack of taste. :)

Perhaps it should be made clear that there is no connection between the beer and the tea.

Hmm. Beer Bags. Now there's an idea. Just add chilled water.
*Goes off in inventing mood*!

Haha I like the sound of that! Any luck with the inventing?

Nice to find a bit of nostalgia for Tetley's on here. I lived in Leeds for a bit during my University days and I got quite accustomed to waking up to the smell of hops wafting over to my student halls
. It is such a shame that Carlsberg has taken over. Tetley's was a decent pint, far better than the cheap lagers that seem to be replacing it, Carlsberg being a prime example - yuck!

My husband worked in the trade from the days at Ansells till he retired from Carlsberg not too long back. I must say I do enjoy a pint of Carlsberg export.

Back