• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Last Letter

W

Wendy

I thought you might like to read some of the contents of a letter written by my father's cousin who lost his life at the battle of the Somme.

Date 30th June 1916
My Dear Father and Mother,
I am so sorry to cause you grief but I have given orders that this letter to be posted only in case I am killed. I am going over the parepets in the morning with the infantry Colonel 5th Sherwoods. I am acting as liaison officer between the artillery and the infantry, and have with me three telephonists who lay wires across the front line to the Germans. The attack will be made under cover of dense smoke, and with a little luck we should get across all right, but one never knows.
We have been bombarding the Hun for a week now and thousands of shells have been rained on hos trenches. We all feel tired and so are the guns: their springs are broken and we have had to have new ones. If I get through, I hope to be relieved in twenty four hours and come back.

He then sends love to family members by name especially his brother.

Your affectionate son.
Give my love to all at grandma's and all relations.

1st July 1916
I am starting in 20 minutes. Thank you so much for all you have done for me, and all you have had to put up with from me; I am sorry. My love to you all.

He died on 1st July 1916 aged 23

Wendy The 1/5 th Sherwood Foresters 139th Brigade 46th (North Midland division)
They Attacked Gommecourt on the 1st July from the direction of Foncquevillers in the early hours of the morning advancing at 7.30 a.m. they were mowed down by machine gun fire as soon as they left the parapet the casualties for them that day were 495
The medical officer Captain John Leslie Green was awarded the V.C but never lived to pick it up as he to was killed the same day...
Two red arrows on map is where he went over the top

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it is extreamly sad I have read some letters at Kew from the millitary and one from his father excepting the fact he had been killed, what struck me was the politness of this letter. I magine loosing a son at 23 who had been to colledge and a Camebridge graduate who was head of his house and had won so many books, and trophies for sport. His parents moved from Sutton to Llandudno after his death. I am in touch with his family and have been to visit one of them who still have his books. Another family member has his trophies and letters. This is how I got the text of the one I posted. I would now like to get a photo of his grave at Gommecourt British cemetery no2 Heruterne.

Thank you for the link Billc thats just great. I have done a search and found the record of his memorial and requested a photo. I tried to make a donation via paypal but it wouldn't link so I have contacted them about it.

Cemetery Visit

Hello

I am making two trips to the Somme, one in October the second in November. I would gladly take a digital photograph of the grave and the cemetery for you.
What was the officer's name that was killed.

Regards

Terry

Oh Terry that is so kind of you. I have just had a reply from the site below and they said the service is no longer available. My relative was;

Lieutenant Trevor Arthur Manning Davies.
North Midland Div. Ammunition Col, Royal Field Artillery.

This will make several people very happy. Many thanks Wendy.

Cemetery visit

Hello Wendy

When I go in October, I will photo the grave and the Cemetery. I am very happy to do this.

Will get in touch with you when I return.

Regards

Terry

Oh Terry I can't thank you enough this is just wonderful. I realy don't know what to say. The family will be thrilled when I send these they will be going all round the world. You are so kind to go out of your way, many thanks. Wendy x

Thank you, It was no problem. It gave me a chance to visit a cemetery I had never visited before and also different area of the Somme battlefield that I had never been to also.

The original pictures are of higher resolution that the ones I uploaded. Let me know if you want them emailed to you.

Terry

Terry this is one response from a cousin.

What a lovely surprise. I had no idea that there was a marked grave, and rather assumed that Trevor's body was never recovered. In fact, I remember visitng Westminster Abbey as a child and my father remarking that the grave of the unmarked soldier could be his.

Just what would we do without the folk on this Brilliant site??
This is the second 'Thread' today that I have read where someone has been made very happy with a photo/photos supplied by another member.:great:

To say nothing about all the others over the years the site has been operating .

Pom :angel:

Back