• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

December 2018 edition the final edition

Still have to get my copy, not many shops stock it, I had an article published in September (forgot the year), and can't find it amongst my hundreds of books and mags, and a thank you letter off Carl Chinn.

Last edited:
I think I am mentioned in the first issue along with Rod Birch.....One of the best articles that made me smile was from Doreen Gunnell nee Chapman ( a lady I knew when I was a youngster ), she wrote about her dad working in the bull ring as a carter, and that he would help anyone, one day he came home all battered and bruised from being beaten up by a gang of lads, then she added the were the good old days...., yep...it sounds like it ......

Last edited:
Carl Chinn published a photo in the Birmingham Evening Mail before the Brummagem magazine came out, I have been trying for a number of years to obtain a copy.....It was taken in 1936 on the corner of Sutherland Street and Montague Street in Aston outside the public house named The Pump, its a group of people (quite a few I think ), and one lady is hold a very young child....That child is my Aunt via marriage, both her parents are in the photo so are her late brothers, Chris and Bert Lewis....if anyone on here have a copy , could you please share it with me.....Thank you John

Hi Radiorails.......I did contact Carl a few years before that, he couldn't help me..he told me that he didn't own all the photographs that were printed.....thank you for your reply....

Carl Chinn published a photo in the Birmingham Evening Mail before the Brummagem magazine came out, I have been trying for a number of years to obtain a copy.....It was taken in 1936 on the corner of Sutherland Street and Montague Street in Aston outside the public house named The Pump, its a group of people (quite a few I think ), and one lady is hold a very young child....That child is my Aunt via marriage, both her parents are in the photo so are her late brothers, Chris and Bert Lewis....if anyone on here have a copy , could you please share it with me.....Thank you John

john have you trawled through this rather long thread i started...i posted quite a few photos from the mail...you maybe lucky

lyn

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/old-evening-mail-pics.21690/

Still have to get my copy, not many shops stock it, I had an article published in September (forgot the year), and can't find it amongst my hundreds of books and mags, and a thank you letter off Carl Chinn.

john i have tons of back copies can you try and work out which september your article was published...ie where were you living at the time...it may help tweedle down what year it was or even a rough guess would do

lyn

Thank you for your reply Lyn....I had and have viewed all the photo's on that link...it may appear one day again I hope...

john i have tons of back copies can you try and work out which september your article was published...ie where were you living at the time...it may help tweedle down what year it was or even a rough guess would do

lyn
I was certainly in Brighton,been back here 4 years, so in the last 14 years i, Iknow it was a September issue, just look in the index for MEMORIES OF CROMWELL STREET.

so its before 2014 then john?? was it 2010 that you went to brighton??

lyn

hi folks just a quick update to say thanks to my article in the last issue i have so far been contacted by 3 other old enders who would love to attend our next reunion...really chuffed:)

lyn

I have every issue and will deaply regret it’s loss. I know that it has been over 50 years since Birmingham was my home; many of my family have gone, those that are still alive live elswhere; the same with my friends; where I lived has disappeared and the geography has changed; but my spirit is still there. Many thanks Carl you have kept my spirit alive
Very well said...…..

That is correct. Apparently W.H.Smith stopped handling it, which meant that it had to rely purely on subscriptions, which was not viable

Back