• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lapal or Dudley No. 2 Canal - Memories

C

Cutmonster

Hi All - Has anyone any memories, recollections or photographs of the old Lapal Canal (Dudley No. 2 or Selly Oak Extension, as it was also known) that used to link Selly Oak with the Black Country? The canal is subject to restoration proposals by the Lapal Canal Trust; the history of the canal is very important and we'd love to hear from anyone who remembers that "cut".

Thanks very much, David Carson (Lapal Canal Trust)

Hallo, David 'Cutmaster' Carson and a warm welcome to you as a new arrival on this scene. I wouldn't have thought there are many people with memories of the old Lapal tunnel, as I believe it was closed after a major roof collapse in 1917, and there was never a towpath - I can imagine that 'legging' the boats would have broken up the sides and top of the tunnel over the years, even if it was brick lined.
I had a great-uncle we used to visit in the late 30's and early 40s, and I can remember being seeing the Harborne side at that time. Ten years or so later when I used to my courting on foot or by bike I remember making our way from the Harborne side to the Halesowen end with the aid of a map.
I've not been to either side since then as I have lived elsewhere for the last 50 years.
I hope the Trust is successful, but it is a massive project, and I wonder if people who may use it in the future will appreciate the amount of work dedication and above all CASH needed to bring it back to working order.
Best of luck anyway!
Peter

I wish you luck with the resoration project, but yes, it IS a massive project!
How on earth can you put a viaduct or tunnel over/under Manor Way? I remember the canal used to run at the side of the Black Horse?
Lived on Abbeyfields for a number of years and walking in Leasowes Park and beside the canal with the dog was lovely. The nearer Manor Way you got though, the worse the weeds were in the canal.
Good luck anyway, sorry I don't have any photos though.

Back