• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Language

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Like” - overused and unnecessary. Viv.
Many words that people say are ‘fillers’ that give the speaker time to think and to fill a gap. eg ‘y’know, like, so, d’you know what I mean’, if you like, I dare say’ all of which carry little or no meaning. There are many more. We tend to notice the phrases or interjections that irritate us. They become habitual in the speaker and, like a cold, are infectious.

I think the rising intonation appeared when Neighbours began over here as most Australians seem to end every sentence with a rising intonation making their conversations sound like questions.
Haha I agree with you Aussies do rise at the end of a sentence. They also say yeah, nah when they are answering something, I dont know why haha

‘Normalcy’ is another Americanism when ‘normality’ is what the British tend to use.
After 40 years in the States I have to work at using English terms on this forum thankfully after 30 years some terms I still use from my childhood my wife has learned in fact she surprised me the other day and said knackered in a sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back