• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Langley Green station.

Noticed a couple more of Langley Green.

“Southern Region locomotives Nos 33.063 and 33.049 stand at
Langley Green on 13 August 1980 having arrived from Southampton with a cement train, which they will run round before departing for the Handsworth terminal.”

588075FC-700C-40BA-B96D-CF262D842701.jpeg (Geoff Dowling)

West Midlands rails in the 1980s

I do not know - all I had in my negative notes was "Langley Green Station" - no dates etc. But it would be early 1980s so I would guess no as Snow Hill Station was still a pile of rubble at this time.

Last edited:
Whilst the first image shows a train of what may be oil tanks, but could be tanks for the Albright & Wilson factory and a diesel locomotive at the head of the train, not a diesel multiple unit. Also the Oldbury Railway (the branch on the right) was made from Langley Green towards Oldbury and terminated at a canal interchange basin, The line as built did not reach West Bromwich and was built for an independent railway company and began under the title of the Dudley & Oldbury Junction Railway which subsequently worked the railway once it was completed.

Here is another image courtesy of Flikr. Looking towards Station Road from Western Road. I'd say early 60's. Other side of Western Road was Langley maltings, still there, though fire damaged. Think the Maltings are grade II listed.

8159229694_e4411b9590_b.jpg

These definitely look like oil/fuel tankers, judging by the esso lorry , and similar in design to those on the earlier photo. The photos I can access of Albright & Wilson tankers showcthem as either having a upper roof shape v shaped or with a lot of ironwork around the top

Back