• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lanes of Aston

DonnaP

proper brummie kid
There seem to be a number of mentions of Lanes in Aston. I have just started to research my maternal grandmother's family and would be glad of any help. My nan was named Irene, she was born in 1922 and her father's name was Harry - he was a tram driver and was already deceased when my nan got married in 1946. Her address at time of marriage was Pugh Road in Aston. She was, I believe, one of three, or possibly four children - her sister was named Charlotte and she had a brother, also Harry, and possibly one other brother.

Will update when I know any more - happy hunting everyone

Donna

A quick update. I have received a copy of my nan's birth certificate and at the time of her birth her parents were living in Rocky Lane. Her mom's name was Lily (nee Robinson) and her father's name was Harry, and he was an electric tram conductor, not driver.

Any information would be really appreciated

Donna x

Hi Donna

Lily Robinson/Harry Lane 3rd qtr 1914 Aston 6d 855

I have only listed births for Aston, there was other Lane mmn Robinson births, Kings N/Birmingham/Birmingham S, all these have mothers maiden name Robinson --

Lily E 4th qtr 1914 Aston 6d 1096
Harry 2nd qtr 1918 Aston 6d 860
William T 2nd qtr 1920 Aston 6d 1221
Irene M 2nd qtr 1922 Aston 6d 1004
Charlotte D 2nd qtr 1924 Aston 6d 923

Hope these help

bren

Just had a quick look for birth details for Harry and Lily, there are a few births it could be for Harry and i lost count of the Lily births, i would suggest you get the marriage certificate to find the names of the fathers and we might have a chance to find them on the 1901 Census.

bren

Bren, these are brilliant - thank you so much!!

The names and dates fit perfectly - and in the last couple of days I've found out a possible name for the 'missing' brother who I think died quite young; my mom remembers talk of a 'Billy' - which of course would be William. Where do you find this information?

I've never done any of this before, and all help is very gratefully received. The marriage certificate, will that be tricky to find without an actual date?

Once again, many thanks

Kind regards
Donna

Bren, the Lily E. Lane you mention in 1914, that wouldn't necessarily be the same family would it?

Regards

Donna

Donna,

I have just spent half an hour typing all the info I found then lost it:redface:

Never mind, in short, Harry Lane's service records are on ancestry.
Absent voter's list for Bham 1918 53 Rocky Lane, Aston. Seems like he was in the army pre 1914, 14th Kings Hussars reg no 41191 and 5677? (I am doing this from memory now.)
There is about 20 pages of info, marriage, address, first child?, harry B21.4.1918.
Interestingly his next of kin when he first signed up is a Charlotte Witherington. In 1901 he is living as stepson to William Witherington and Charlotte. Lots of siblings and step siblings.
1891 shows charlotte lane B1860 as a widow with her children.
1881 shows charlotte lane and william lane with children.
She married twice 1878 to Lane and 1897 to witherington. Her maiden name was Woodcock.
Anyway, have a good look as there's lots for you to see especially his informative service records! Oh Harry's birth is recorded as 1886.

Hope this helps:)

Suzanne

Bren,
I've never done any of this before, and all help is very gratefully received. The marriage certificate, will that be tricky to find without an actual date?
Once again, many thanks
Kind regards
Donna

Hi Donna

I suggest you have a read of this to get a basic insight into research --

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12911

A lot of our members subscribe to various sites and share their resources with the members on here, there are a few sites about including Ancestry.co.uk and FMP and there are other sites that play a role in family research such as Electoral Rolls. There are some free sites such as FreeBMD, all in all, if there is a site to help with anything to do with family research you can bet one or more of our members will point you in the right direction.
The hardest thing with getting a certificate is finding the entry in the records, that one line of info is all you need, you can order them from B'ham Reg Office, you can visit or send for it by post, the online ordering has been stopped. If you follow the link below then scroll down to the bottom of the page you can download a cert application form, the cert will cost you £7

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateContent?CONTENT_ITEM_ID=71551&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=5025

As for Lily E 1914, she could well be the same family, a lot of people find family like this, died soon after birth and never spoken about, it happened a lot, and, just because she was born soon after the wedding is not reason to discount her as family either, they was just a bit more discreet about it in those days.

Hope this all helps

bren

Donna if you IM your e-mail adress i have downloaded and saved all the army records for Harry that Suzanne found for you, this is a long service record, you will be spending hours reading it all. As Suzanne said, these are very informative service records with a lot of personnel information, a fantastic slice of a mans life, i had a quick read as i saved them, great.

bren

Has anybody any photo's of old Aston,particulary of Barton Street before all the buildings were demolished?

img444 Barton Arms.jpg Here one for you. Replacemet photo. if you click what you want in the search box, it may come up, although everyone is trying to replace the photo's

regards stars

Thanks for the pic', Stars. It looks very different now. I was in this pub not so long back, it was on the list of pubs that CAMRA listed to visit to celebrate its 40th Birthday. It's great that it survived all the demolition!! My particular interest in Aston is because my family,going back generations, lived there and I was born in Barton street.

Hi Donna,
I have just come across your post No. 1 regarding the Lane family and was wondering if Charlotte Lane was the "Lottie" Lane I remember who lived in Rocky Lane opposite "Tubes" factory.Looking at post No. 3 Charlotte's Date of Birth fits the age group. Towards the latter part of WWII she joined the land army so that would put her in her early 20's I remember her from my early youth when she attended Rocky Lane and Nechells Hall youth clubs. I believe she married "Alfie" Brinkworth who also attended the youth clubs before joining the RAF.
regards, Reg (Roverman)

Hi, this may be of interest to surname "Lane" researchers.

Quoting 1871 census RG10 Piece 3109 Folio 104 Page 31

Mary Ann Lane (maiden Ure) married (Richard Lane Dec 1863 -not on Census info)
Son Richard age 6, Daughters Mary jane 3 & Elizabeth 2 weeks.
Mary Ure 53 Mom-in-Law & Eliz Ure 17 Sis-in-Law

at 31 Fox Street, St Peters parish District 10 (Near Curzon St /Eastside ? )

This is a "Lane" connection that goes further back to, Benjamin Lane 1792 -1839 Warwickshire
James Ben Lane 1750 - 1827 Great Yarmouth , Samuel Lane 1663 Great Yarmouth (St Nicholas)

My contact (Canada -USA) Kevin Lane has 1880/81 history to present from aforementioned origins
via Emigration (Ship-jumper) after 1871.

This is a Genetic (Gene-matched link to my Young line) R1b1a2a1a1a term SNP U106 and
other Y-dna info available if any reader is in to Y & Mtdna research,

Keep on keeping on folks, JohnY

hi donna
here was a lane family living in upper thomas street in the 30. 40, and fiftyies years and they went to upper thomas street
and was a direct neibour to mr and mrs crutchley the son was ronald crutchley whom i mixed with in those days as we was in he same class along with
daughter of lanes best of reearching astonian;;

Hi Donna,
I have just come across your post No. 1 regarding the Lane family and was wondering if Charlotte Lane was the "Lottie" Lane I remember who lived in Rocky Lane opposite "Tubes" factory.Looking at post No. 3 Charlotte's Date of Birth fits the age group. Towards the latter part of WWII she joined the land army so that would put her in her early 20's I remember her from my early youth when she attended Rocky Lane and Nechells Hall youth clubs. I believe she married "Alfie" Brinkworth who also attended the youth clubs before joining the RAF.
regards, Reg (Roverman)
I'm so sorry, it's been years - but if you're still about, then yes, that would be my aunty Lottie! She passed away in the 1990s, her husband Alf is still alive, he married again. I know this is them because I was very fond of Aunty Lottie and Uncle Alf and would spend good chunks of my school holidays with them. They were also had friends from the youth club called Nancy and Ted, and they remained friends for many years, I remember them too!

Back