• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lander's Factory in Arter Street

Alan,

Welcome to the forum. What do you want to know about Landers Spinning Factory in Arter Street?
Not that I could be of much help But I have no doubt that there are others who will help if they know what they are looking for.

Old Boy

Alan

A.J.Lander & Sons Ltd 5-7 Arter Street, Balsall Heath. I also remember a Lander metal spinners in Larches Passage off Larches Street Sparkbrook in the 60's that might possibly have been the same outfit.

From directories, Artur St was not their first site. Possibly their factory suffered from bombing. They did put a small advert in the 1946 Kellys (below), possibly to emphasise their new address:
In 1913 firm is not listed.
1917-21 Lander A. & J. metal spinners, 197½ Gooch street
1932-37 Lander A, & J. aluminium hollow ware manufacturers, 197½ Gooch street.
1938 Lander A, J. & Sons aluminium hollow ware manufacturers, 197½ Gooch street
1939-40 Lander A, J. & Sons, metal spinners 197½ Gooch street
1943-64 Lander A. J. & Sons metal spinners 5-7 Arter St
1965-69 Lander A. J . & Sons Ltd. metal spinners, Stanhope st 12.
1971-73 Lander A. J. & Sons Ltd, scrap metal merchants, Stanhope st 12.
Kellys finishes in 1973
mike

advert_A___J_Lander_1946_Kellys.jpg

Spot on Phil. However they are not listed in everyb year under the commercial names section, only in the street section, and that is how I missed them. They must be related (a son possibly), but the differing titles of the companies presumably mean they were separate to Arter st:

1950 – not listed
1955-56 Lander A. J. metal spinner, Larches pass 12
1962-5 Lander A. J. & Co metal spinners, Larches pass 12
1967 - gone

Mike

I was only from personal knowledge that I knew of Landers in Larches Passage as our back gate opened on to their front gate almost in the passage. To be honest I thought they were there later than 67, up to 1971 at least.

Phil
Have checked in case they were missed out by accident. they are not listedin 1967,1969 or 1971. The number of firms listed is only 2 in the first of those two years, and by 1971 there is only BWB Engineering, tool makers. They do not have to be in Kellys though, and if the fimr was running down, maybe they didn't think it was worth it for their last years.

Mike

They would have known from about 1968 onward that their days were numbered in that location.

Phil

Phil and Mike,

Thanks for this info, which confirms my father's recollection of their factory being in Arter Street when we lived there and also gives me the actual address.

Alan

Hi,
My mum lived im mary street and the Landers were relatives of ours (my great grandmother was constance may lander) and i would like to know more about all this if anyone has any more info??Apparently a factory does currently exist but i am not sure where?Also there was a street bordering some ?? bomed land ora square of land that the family gave to the council on the death of someone??I wondered if anyone knew anything about this,according to rumours within the family?? jenni

We lived at no 10 Arter Street and Landers Spinning Factory was almost opposite at nos 5-7. The Electoral Registers for 1950 and 1955 do not have entries for 5-7 Arter Street. However the 1950 Electoral Register (qualifying date 20 Nov 1949) shows Alfred J Lander living next door to the factory at 9 Arter Street. Was he a relative of yours?

Yes he was apparently.I know Constance may lander married George clarke and had 3 girls one of who was my nan jessica but how we are related to him i am not sure.There are many landers on the census and it is difficult to move forward.

Hello jennibean
My daughter has started to investigate her family tree and forwarded me your posting.
Although this is now 8 years later, I wonder if you might find the following useful:
AJ Lander (Alfred John) was my husband's grandfather, proprietor of AJ Lander & Sons. One of his sons, Leonard, took over this business.
Another son, also called Alfred John, my late father-in-law, set up his own metal-spinning business (A J Lander) located off at Larches Passage, in a premises in a bombed-out factory. My husband, Roger A J Lander, worked here with his dad in the '60s, before pursuing a different career path. (Roger's elder son is also an AJ; there seems to be a Lander tradition to give one son the initials AJ).
Co-incidentally, my daughter's middle name is May, after both of her grandmothers - my mum and Irene May, wife of Alfred John. Her first name is Jennifer!
If you are still a member of the forum, it would be wonderful to hear from you.

Yes that is fantastic to hear!,below the first photo we are unsure who these are but the middle one is the lander familty i have been told and the last one is constant may my maternal great grandmom

Attachments

• 20210928_132501.jpg
    20210928_132501.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 20210928_142142.jpg
    20210928_142142.jpg
    752.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210928_131842.jpg
    20210928_131842.jpg
    1,016.8 KB · Views: 4
We lived at no 10 Arter Street and Landers Spinning Factory was almost opposite at nos 5-7. The Electoral Registers for 1950 and 1955 do not have entries for 5-7 Arter Street. However the 1950 Electoral Register (qualifying date 20 Nov 1949) shows Alfred J Lander living next door to the factory at 9 Arter Street. Was he a relative of yours?
We also lived at number 10 Arter street, before moving to the shop on the corner with my mom & dad (Tatlow family) which was 65 Sherbourne Road.

Back