• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Land Family of Erdington

elswick-hopper

Brummie babby
My Erdington connections are through my father's family and it has long been my intention to try to discover what happened on that side. My dad had a bit of a falling out for some reason and so I have no recollection of my Land grandparents. So, can anyone give me a lead on the Land family who had a Wolseley garage in Erdington before and after the War? My Uncle Monty took over the business I believe. My dad was a policeman in Lincolnshire for all his working life and rarely spoke of Birmingham :fatigue:
Nigel Land

What info are you looking for? Past or present?

If past and your grandparents were William and Florence, then it seems that he came from Suffolk and she came from Essex.

Spot on! I am really looking for what happened to the Birmingham family after the 1940s, though also would like to know more about the business and what happened to it. I've reached the age that I'd like to write it all up for the kids and grandkids! The other aspect is what brought them to Birmingham. At one stage I believe that William and Florence were in service in London. I know of links with Bury St Edmunds and a village on the Norfolk/Suffolk border that says they were agricultural workers way back. So presumably put out of work by agricultural machinery. Thanks for getting in touch!

According to freeBMD -

Montague H Land married Joan E Perks, B'ham Jun qtr 1948 and had 2 daughters -

Sandra C A Land, birth registered B'ham Jun qtr 1949

Christine J Land, birth registered Bham Sep qtr 1953

Montague Haddon Land death registered Torbay Aug 1990

Joan Eileen Land death registered Surrey Northern Jan 1993

Can't see any marriage for Sandra C A Land but there are 2 marriages listed for a Christine J Land. One of them is in Torbay Jun qtr 1973 to a Richard J Merriott. Which could be the right one as it ties in with Montague's death, the other marriage takes place in Bristol in 1975.

There are no Merriott/Land children listed.

No deaths listed for Sandra C A Land or Christine J Land/Merriott.

Also I think Florence was married previously, to an Edmund Perry. Married registered Kings Norton Jun qtr 1906. Edmund death registered Kings Norton Sep qtr 1907.

A bit of family interest for your grand children

William Lorimer Land anf Florence Perry formerly Parr

1881 Church end, Stebbing

Richard Parr age 39 Blacksmith
Eliza age 33
Ernest 15 , Miriam 11, Albert 8
Grace 6, Florence 4, infant son 6 days.

1891 Thorne Cottage , Shrimpling Suffolk
George M L Land age 39 Gardener
Anna age 33
John M 14, Katherine 12
William L age 10, George L age 8, Ethel 5

The electoral rolls show that William and Florence Land were living at 45 Reservoir Rd, Erdington from 1920 - 1927

then from 1930 - 1947 they were living at 27 Wood End Rd. Erdington.

then Montague and Joan Land lived at 27 Wood End Rd. up to 1957.

Just want to thanks everyone for their help - such rapid response was fantastic and very useful. It has inspired me to push on and make some discoveries of my own!
Nigel Land

Back