• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lanchester Cars

During the First World War, Lanchester made munitions at a new works in Formans Road, near Spring Road, and used these premises after the war for coach building. The Alpha Works was taken over by a light car maker, Ashton- Evans, for a few years. Formans Road became the Lucas Battery Factory from 1923

I take it this building is the one still standing in Formans Road, now a meat warehouse?

Hi pjmburns - my fault. Post no 8 should have read:

As originally built, the two storey centre portion (now 128B + C) was the original house.

When turned into flats 128B was downstairs & 128C upstairs. Both 128B + C are now for sale ie the central two storey part.

My apols.
Thanks. All now clear. Hope they can be put back as one.

I take it this building is the one still standing in Formans Road, now a meat warehouse?
Am I correct in my thoughts?

A little history of the Lanchesters and their cars. From the Birmingham Daily Post in February 1970 (obituary about George) and in August 1960 (obituary about Frank)l Viv.

Attachments

• 6EF761EC-1FE1-4386-B776-D2849D4E7E0A.jpeg
    6EF761EC-1FE1-4386-B776-D2849D4E7E0A.jpeg
    383.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 8E147EEB-DF99-4044-9A54-60A56D99B0D8.jpeg
    8E147EEB-DF99-4044-9A54-60A56D99B0D8.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Am I correct in my thoughts?
David
The 'meat warehouse' was part of Lucas, Formans Rd altho' on Google it looks refurbished. It was occupied by the Diecasting & Plastic Moulding divisions & also Lucas Transport. The Battery factory occupied the demolished area between the warehouse & Al Furgan (Formans Rd) School. I seem to remember a new battery manufacturing facility being built alongside or on the old brickworks/clay quarry located behind the meat warehouse in the early '70's.
John

Back