• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lamp Oil Shop, Shakespeare Rd, Ladywood

journocy

proper brummie kid
Anyone know of this lamp oil shop please?

1950s.

Would have been run by Fred and Rhoda Coleman.

Fred was born in Olive Place, Anderton St.

There was an off-licence fairly nearby? Customers took their own jugs to both to get them filled in those days!

1956 Kelly's Trade Directory 81 Shakespeare Rd Fredrick Thomas Coleman Hardware Dealer. The outdoor might have been the other side of the road at number 74. I believe this photo shows the outdoor but not the hardware shop.

Attachments

• Ladywood Shakespeare St 2.jpg
    Ladywood Shakespeare St 2.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 57
In Kelly's 1969 its still 81 for Coleman, and 74 LC Lehane beer retailer.

my father always called Paraffin 'Lamp Oil'

Nick

Presume you have seen the Shakespeare Road pages on Mac Joseph's Old Ladywood website - and my own contribution of 1 April 2015 showing the shop, next door to Sid Butt's shop?

Phil, brummie nick, Malvernian - I cannot thank you guys enough! What a brilliant site this is!

Ummmm. .... no Malvernian, I'm ashamed to say I hadn't seen that before, but I have now :)

I'm not from Birmingham and have never lived there - I don't even live or work in the UK but have been trying to help an expatriate Brummie add to a family history for his - also expatriate - grandchildren :)

You cannot believe how grateful he is to see those pictures.

Each one brings back more and more memories.

Thank you all!

I'm trying to get our friend Sheila to write up her memories of visits to her grandparents' shop (for Mac's website) - it sounds such a fascinating place - but she says they always went home with the smell of lamp oil following them!

I'm trying to get our friend Sheila to write up her memories of visits to her grandparents' shop (for Mac's website) - it sounds such a fascinating place - but she says they always went home with the smell of lamp oil following them!

If Sheila is the daughter of Fred Coleman and ?Dolly? then I think she's related to the guy I'm trying to help! :) Apparently she might have had a brother called Ronald? (but the memories of that, this guy tells me, are vague).

1956 Kelly's Trade Directory 81 Shakespeare Rd Fredrick Thomas Coleman Hardware Dealer. The outdoor might have been the other side of the road at number 74. I believe this photo shows the outdoor but not the hardware 1965

On March 1st 1965 my parents bought the newsagents shop at 85 Shakespeare Road & the chap that ran the hardware shop was a person called Harold Coleman & he ran the shop until all the houses in the road started to be demolished under a regeneration scheme. I always remember Harold as a friendly chap who always used to have a chat with me ( a 14 year old lad ) who liked to listen to his stories. He was a very funny chap

Anyone know of this lamp oil shop please?

1950s.

Would have been run by Fred and Rhoda Coleman.

Fred was born in Olive Place, Anderton St.

There was an off-licence fairly nearby? Customers took their own jugs to both to get them filled in those days!
When I moved into Shakespeare Road in 1965, the shop was then run by their son Harold. He was a lovely old fella, had many a laugh with him. I think his shop was either 81 or 79. The outdoor you are on about was on the corner of Shakespeare Road and St Marks Street

I remember 'ol' man Coleman' as we called him. Always standing in the doorway of his paraffin shop and chatting to passers by. Seem to remember he had a rather large stomach which stretched his braces. The outdoor was diagonally across from his shop on the corner of Shakespeare Rd and St Mark's St. Used to run across there on Friday nights with my pocket money to load up with sweets and Masons pop. I lived about 50 yds up on the same side between 1956 and 1968. Great days and characters.

Colin

Hi this is Sheila. Granddaughter of Fred and Rhoda Coleman who you all have fond memories of that I have been reading. My brother was named Ronald Coleman he was born in 1931 and I was born in 1934 to Dolly and Fred Coleman. The sons of Fred and Rhoda was Harold and Bert (my uncles).

Hi this is Sheila. Granddaughter of Fred and Rhoda Coleman who you all have fond memories of that I have been reading. My brother was named Ronald Coleman he was born in 1931 and I was born in 1934 to Dolly and Fred Coleman. The sons of Fred and Rhoda was Harold and Bert (my uncles).
Hello Sheila
As I reported recently, I moved to 85 Shakespeare Road in March of 1965 & I got to know Harold really well. My mother ran the newsagents shop 2 doors up from the hardware shop that Hard ran ( I was 13 at the time ) I remember Harold used to have relatives pay him a visit every so often & if I remember, this couple always had a couple of Beagle dogs with them. I don't know if that rings a bell with you or any members of your family

Hello Sheila
As I reported recently, I moved to 85 Shakespeare Road in March of 1965 & I got to know Harold really well. My mother ran the newsagents shop 2 doors up from the hardware shop that Hard ran ( I was 13 at the time ) I remember Harold used to have relatives pay him a visit every so often & if I remember, this couple always had a couple of Beagle dogs with them. I don't know if that rings a bell with you or any members of your family
Yes that was my auntie with the beagle dog, Harolds sister. She was named Rhoda as well as her mother, not sure if that’s any good to you!

Yes that was my auntie with the beagle dog, Harolds sister. She was named Rhoda as well as her mother, not sure if that’s any good to you!
What happened to Harold after he left Shakespeare Road. If I remember correctly Harold always used to look smart, wearing a shirt,tie & sleeveless jumper. He was a very friendly chap & I had many a conversation with him. He could be very funny as well

What happened to Harold after he left Shakespeare Road. If I remember correctly Harold always used to look smart, wearing a shirt,tie & sleeveless jumper. He was a very friendly chap & I had many a conversation with him. He could be very funny as well
When his mother died they no longer had the shop and he went to live near his sister towards Sheldon. He was a lovely man, very kind and very funny

Thank you for getting back to me

I remember 'ol' man Coleman' as we called him. Always standing in the doorway of his paraffin shop and chatting to passers by. Seem to remember he had a rather large stomach which stretched his braces. The outdoor was diagonally across from his shop on the corner of Shakespeare Rd and St Mark's St. Used to run across there on Friday nights with my pocket money to load up with sweets and Masons pop. I lived about 50 yds up on the same side between 1956 and 1968. Great days and characters.

Colin
Hello Colin, your surname wouldn't be Mytton by any chance

Well done Charlie, you've broke my cover
Well done Charlie, you've broke my cover
Well Well, glad to hear you are still going strong. I think the last time we bumped into oneanother was when you were with your good wife one Sunday having a meal at a pub by Rubery flyover which sadly no longer exists I was with my my mother & 2 daughters at the time. Like me you are probably retired now. Where have the 50 odd years gone since Shakespeare Road

Only just picked this up, on hols with granddaughters in Rhyl and bad reception. Yes retired 4 years now and still reminiscing about those days in Shakespeare Rd. Shame about Mac Joseph's wonderful site closing down, so much stuff on there. Trying to find out about a building that was on the grassy bank many years ago at the moment so thats keeping me busy. Try not think how many years it's been or it'll send you barmy!

Only just picked this up, on hols with granddaughters in Rhyl and bad reception. Yes retired 4 years now and still reminiscing about those days in Shakespeare Rd. Shame about Mac Joseph's wonderful site closing down, so much stuff on there. Trying to find out about a building that was on the grassy bank many years ago at the moment so thats keeping me busy. Try not think how many years it's been or it'll send you barmy!

Talking of Rhyl, do you remember when my mother booked a private taxi for the day & the 3 of us went to Rhyl. It was more travelling then spending time there.I used to like Mac's Ladywood website. Hope you sort out your building.Anyway enjoy the rest of your holiday & have a safe journey home

I do remember the trip to Rhyl by taxi, probably slept most of the way. A nice earner for the driver. I also remember you had me dress up in a Dalek suit that you were selling in the shop and paraded me outside! It was a sort of helmet with slits and a plastic cape that hung down, I had to crouch down so the cape touched the floor and all the kids were trying to look inside to see who or what was there. Never watched Dr Who again!!

I do remember the trip to Rhyl by taxi, probably slept most of the way. A nice earner for the driver. I also remember you had me dress up in a Dalek suit that you were selling in the shop and paraded me outside! It was a sort of helmet with slits and a plastic cape that hung down, I had to crouch down so the cape touched the floor and all the kids were trying to look inside to see who or what was there. Never watched Dr Who again!!
Hello Colin, I certainly don't remember dressing you in a Dalek suit. If I did, were you paid by the hour ( LOL ) Its a shame you hadn't got a photo
of it. That would have been something to show your grandkids.

Back