• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Laithwaite Matilda

JennyG

I've come across this site while looking for any information to be found on my gx4 grandmother, Jane Matilda Laithwaite who married Edward McDonald, a cordwainer, in St Martin, Birmingham in 1805. There's a record on Genuki which shows JOHN LAITHWAITE, a PUBLICAN, at the ROE BUCK TAVERN in Church St in 1818 and I'm wondering if there's anything more to be found about this man or his tavern. I'm thinking he could've been my Jane's father or brother. Apologies if this is the wrong forum on which to be asking these questions!

Nothing certain. There appears to be one search result for a John Laithwaite in the Bham newspapers in the time frame - 21 Dec 1820 Bham Chronicle - it does says he's a victualler but can't see much else.

There are a number of results for Roe Buck/Roebuck but none appear to be for one on Church St.

A family tree on familysearch suggests that Jane was born in Upholland, Lancashire, the daughter of William and he does have a son John.

Jane & Edward seem to baptise at least one child in Lancashire - Harriet Matilda in Preston.

Apologies for not responding to your message sooner but I've only just found it! I too had found the birth of Harriet Matilda (my gx3 grandmother) in Preston, and also the birth of a Jane in Upholland. These people certainly flew under the radar!!

Thanks for your interest.

Back